Corsair Community

PC Upgrade/PSU Question

Karbounos

Hello peep,

I'm going to go for a cpu/mobo/ram/cooling upgrade but I don't know if my current PSU (corsair CS750M) is able to support it.

Upgrade scenario #1:

CPU: 5820k

mobo: x99-pro or x99-deluxe

cooling: AIO water cooling

ram: Carsair Vengeance LPX 16gb CMK16GX4M4A2666C16

Upgrade scenario #2:

CPU: 4790k

mobo: z97-formula

cooling: AIO water cooling

ram: Vengeance pro 16gb (2x8) CMY16GX3M2A2400C11A

Well, I've read some reviews in reliable sites and they comment that my current PSU is not good for overclocking. What excactly does this mean? If I try to overclock on it, it wont just be stable or it might end up dead (psu/other parts)?

I posted my upgrade scenarios because in the second case the cpu has a lower power consumption than the first, so perhaps there's a case my psu cannot afford the first case. Also, what upgrade do you suggest for the long run? the main use is multitasking, photoshop, gaming, illustrator

I'm running a 5820k system with an Asus x99-A, 16 GB Crucial RAM, an SSD, 7200 RPM SATA HDD, H100i, and a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 using a CX 600M PSU. You should be fine, but I'm not sure about OC'ing. I'm planning on upgrading to either an EVGA Supernova 1000w G1 PSU or a Corsair RM 1000w PSU before I try OC'ing. I just don't have the headroom right now, but 750w should be enough for some OC'ing, just not sure about your specific PSU being suitable or not.

• Corsair Employees

Typically, when you OC a CPU or GPU, their power consumption increases exponentially.

So you're planning on upgrading everything but the graphics card? You're sticking with the GTX 760?

Then you should be fine. The CX750 is completely different than the lower wattage CX's. It has a stronger +12V and uses DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V. You're going to have more than enough power for that PC, even if you do overclock.

Archived