Corsair Community

Random Restarts (TX650W)

john909

Hello!

I recently upgraded to a 7970HD video card and since that time random restarts have started bugging me. In event power I get the Kernel Power (event id 41) error when this is happening so I started looking at the PSU - it is a Corsair TX650 bought in late 2010.

*Before the 7970 I had an ATI 6870 which obviously is quite less demanding in power.

I don't have the means to check it with a multi-meter so on a first level I installed some monitoring programs like Speedfan. What alerted me is the 12V measuring as shown in the picture I attach.

12V is measured at ...6.71V.

I would like to know what is your opinion on this. Do you think I could ask for a warranty replacement?

Thank you in advance.

12V_low.JPG.a88660d2ba1eeccd0272d70097177c44.JPG

• Corsair Employees

If your +12V was really at +6.71, your PC wouldn't be running at all.

You have provided a perfect example as to why software readings of voltages are completely bogus.

You're talking about a 300W TDP versus a 151W TDP. Doubt a 149W difference would cause your PC to boot when it was working flawlessly before.

Probably a bad graphics card. But do check to make sure it's grounded properly and the power connectors are fully seated.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am just wondering how this could be a graphics card problem though. Let me add that since the card requires two x8 pin PCIe, and the PSU offers only one I have taken an extra voltage supply via a 'molex to PCIe' connector. Could this be the problem?

PS - Let me add I am a big fan of your site and I always take your reviews in high regard :sunglasse

• Corsair Employees

Well, I just said that it "could be" a graphics card problem since that's the only part you replaced.

But I forgot that PSU only had one PCIe power connector. Those adapters are problematic at best and could be the source of the problem.

Like I said before, make sure all of the connections are secure, but you might actually want to try another PSU if you get the chance.

Funny thing is, as old as that PSU is, it might still be under warranty!

Thanks again for your response.

I use my PC for gaming and for example I can play Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 or even the less graphically demanding Starcraft2 for hours. If the card had a problem I should be getting those restarts quite more often. These are random ones and occur say once in 3 or 4 days.

I started troubleshoting with windows event viewer and the kernel power message. A friend suggested a UPS but I doubt this is the case.

I don't know maybe it's time to finally move for that AX760 I am fancying for months now.:sunglasse

By the way what would be the easiest way (for an amateur in electronics) to measure a PSU performance?

• Corsair Employees

I started troubleshoting with windows event viewer and the kernel power message. A friend suggested a UPS but I doubt this is the case.

While I always suggest a UPS, it won't solve your problem.

By the way what would be the easiest way (for an amateur in electronics) to measure a PSU performance?

There's no *cheap* way to properly test. You need a load, an ability to accurately measure and an oscope. A minimum of 5K worth of kit.

Archived