Corsair Community

Bad Stick of RAM

RipCity

I have TWINX1024-3200LLPRO memory. Built the PC in Feb. 04 and everything was smooth till last week when my pc crashed. The mobo gave me the beep code for memory failure and would not reboot. So, I put the stick from slot 1 aside, and moved the stick from slot 3 to 1. It rebooted fine. My mobo is the ABIT IC7-MAX3 and I run everything at optimized default.

I ran the memtest86 on the good stick, and it passed. The other stick will not even get to the test or boot the pc. Just dead.

RMA please?

Regards,

RipCity

• Corsair Employee

Please put the memory module on slot 1 & 3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

Advanced Chipset:

Memory timing setting: User Define/Manual

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

Guru Utility or Softmenu Setup:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DRAM Frequency: 200

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 3 weeks later...

I updated the BIOS and made the recommended BIOS settings you provided. Works fine with 1 good stick in slot 1 (as it did before). But when I add the bad stick, it wont boot to floppy for memtest, or to windows.

I think that stick is bad.

Rip

Archived