Corsair Community

Strange Boots with CX 600M

Discollama

I've been getting strange boots with my PSU and worry that it might not be enough to handle my computer at load. Whenever I start up my computer after the PSU has been off, the system lights up, fans spin up and then it goes dark. A moment later, it'll light up and all the fans will start going again and a few moments after that the system sounds like it ramps up and the computer finally boots. I've tried removing all SATA devices to see if that would help, but it still boots the same way.

I'm running the following build:

5820K (stock)

Corsair H100i

Asus X99-A

16 GB Crucial RAM

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

1 TB WD Black (7400 RPM)

120 GB San Disk Ultra II SSD

DVD RW

Corsair CX 600M

I used the following PSU calculator and I keep coming up with ~530w recommended, but I think they're using a reference GTX 970 which runs at 145w under load, whereas I recently found a post that stated that my GPU runs at 245w at load. I don't have another PSU to test it with, so I'm not sure if it's the PSU or what. Any help that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: Forgot to link the PSU calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

• Corsair Employees

If the PSU wasn't substantial enough, it wouldn't turn on at all. It would shut down.

When you say "after the PSU has been off", are you talking about no power to the PSU? You flip the switch on the PSU or on a power strip? If so, this sounds like normal behavior.

Once the PC is up and running, it runs normally, right?

It's only when I've had the PSU off (using the switch to the PSU itself), then turn it on and start up the computer. I've never owned a PSU before that has a stutter start like this. It's like it's restarting immediately after power on, but then after several moments of the system getting power again, everything kicks into high gear and finally I'll see BIOS post. No other computer that I've built has acted like this. I haven't finished troubleshooting the issue yet, and I know that my mobo needs a BIOS update, but this seems more like a PSU issue than a mobo issue (though I can't rule it out).

When everything is loaded, it works just fine, but I haven't had the chance to really stress test it, and I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to do that until I've sorted out the issue at hand. Maybe I'll try to get a video of it's startup tonight and post it. It's definitely not normal.

• Corsair Employees

Most modern PSUs do that if you cut the power to the PSU itself. For efficiency purposes, an inrush current relay is used instead of a standard mechanical switch. When you flip the switch on the back of the PSU, you're causing an inrush of current that is tripping the relay.

Exactly WHY are you turning the PC off with the main switch every night?

Not every night, I just put the system together last night and was having trouble with the RAM being recognized and my SSD stopped being recognized, so before I would reach in and pull anything, I was shutting the PSU off to protect the system. I'm pretty sure that I need to flash the BIOS to correct the RAM and drive issue, but I had never before seen anything like this from a PSU.

I haven't built a system in ~4 years, so if it's something new, I never had the chance to encounter it before.

Archived