Corsair Community

RGB MX Blue no longer being offered?

Reonar Dauth

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I got cry to cherry they will just say that's it was corsair. It wont get me anywhere. If that's what it takes then I will, but we both know that's a waste of time.

Cherry's 20 year old machinery cannot manufacture blues. Official line is they have a "low yield". Sounds like many of the blue switches they make on their antique machinery, have to be rejected because of quality control issues - read faulty design. And of the ones they did make and sell, if you do some reading many people are reporting a lot of really bad things - each key has a different feel, some keys don't click, some keys stick, some auto repeat etc.

I also have been waiting for and would love a K70 rgb with mx blues for the same reason as you, but if you read about the problems with the few blues they did end up making before cancelling them, count yourself lucky that you did not get an early model.

If you must have mx blues, then look at the old K70 with red or blue leds (as opposed to the rgb).

RGB is a huge this to me, the older models wont do it for me. The lighting is one of the main reasons why the K70 was so big to me, any light color you want basically. I have the alienware track x keyboard now and I'm looking to upgrade to something better, namely the K70 RGB, anything other is kinda a down grade to me. I would of gladly taken a chance with the blue RGB's. And it does not seem like there is anyway someone can make a red or brown K70 RGB into a blue :( .

Cherry's 20 year old machinery cannot manufacture blues. Official line is they have a "low yield". Sounds like many of the blue switches they make on their antique machinery
Old does not mean bad. There's some machines in factories that are 50 or 100 years old that still work perfectly fine.

Old does not mean bad. There's some machines in factories that are 50 or 100 years old that still work perfectly fine.

Except that everyone raves on about how state-of-the art Cherry is and how superior "German engineering" is over the other manufacturer's "cheap Chinese knock-offs". So yes 20 year old machines are bad in an industry where Moore's Law no longer applies because advances are rapidly increasing. They are manufacturing switches (RGB) that are obviously very difficult to build (or someone would have done it years ago) on old machines and then wondering why they are having so many failures and problems.

So which is better - 20 year old German machines or brand new Chinese machines? I guess the market will decide.

20 year old machines are fine if you are building the same widget 20 years later.

From what I've gathered, blues are manufactured in part on older machinery that is no longer as reliable as it once was. There's less pressure to replace machinery for blues than other switches because fewer blues are produced than alternatives, largely due to lower demand. It's likely that too many blue switches were failing QA, resulting in low yields.

There you said it RGB, Corsair is the only people that make RGB cherry blues. That why they can't stop. There is nobody else. They cant stop, they can charge 260 for the keyboard for all I care, even 300 would be ok. Corsairs official reason does not seem to hold up when I speak to other people about this topic.

The official statement is as follows:

"Due to extremely low yield on RGB blue switch, it is not possible for Corsair to continue production on this product.

Corsairs official reason does not seem to hold up when I speak to other people about this topic.
... and what are these "other" people saying?

The fact is - only Corsair and Cherry know what the actual yields were. Unless these "other" people work at Cherry (and can prove it) and break an (assumed) NDA - they're just hypothesizing. Take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt.

They are manufacturing switches (RGB) that are obviously very difficult to build (or someone would have done it years ago) on old machines and then wondering why they are having so many failures and problems.

The RGB switches are identical except for the fact that the housing of the switch is translucent. The LED is on the PCB, behind the key switch, not attached to it.

So yes 20 year old machines are bad in an industry where Moore's Law no longer applies because advances are rapidly increasing.

.....Moore's Law has to do with how the number of transistors in an IC is expected to change over time (double every 2 years ish). I don't see how this is relevant.

Just registered to air my frustration as well.

My beloved Ideazon/steelseries MERC keyboard stopped working after 7 years,

they actually RMA'd the kb after all that time! However my kb was discontinued so they sent me a Steelseries apex which I cant stand!..

After doing research and picking out the k70 RGB with Cherry Blue switches and not being able to find one now I find out that they are discontinued.

It seems that Corsair is not really explaining the issue and we are hearing these rumors of dodgy equipment @ Cherry?

Will the Cherry Blue k70 RGB be back or not?

It seems like your trying to sweep a high RMA number under the rug here Corsair, and act like the blues never existed.. NOT COOL Corsair as the clicky Cherry Blue switches are what drew many if not most of us here...

If the blue switches ARE the issue why not try Greens?

Corsair James has already posted an "official" reply, you can find it some pages earlier in this thread:

Hi all, Im back from vacation (I hope everyone had a good holiday). I wanted to confirm that unfortunately, we are (at least for the foreseeable future) discontinuing Cherry MX Blue RGB keys. We are NOT discontinuing Cherry MX Blue (Single LED) which is still found on our Corsair Gaming non-RGB K70.

The official statement is as follows:

"Due to extremely low yield on RGB blue switch, it is not possible for Corsair to continue production on this product. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for patience thus far, please contact our Customer Service if you have an open order with Corsair and waiting for fulfillment. For those of you who do not need RGB but still want Cherry MX blue switches, we ARE producing the non-RGB K70/K95 keyboards with Cherry MX blue switches.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify it more though. First I want to apologize that we didn't announce it earlier. We ultimately made the decision to discontinue the Cherry MX Blue during the company shutdown so our distributors would know and react accordingly. We felt that it was best most of the customers who had pre-orders know right away rather than wait even longer for us to return to make it public.

Second, MX RGB Blue switches were difficult to create in the first place and we had constant issues of not having enough from Cherry due to their limited production capacity as they were also producing RGB MX Red/Brown and single-LED MX Red/Blue/Brown keys.

Third, Cherry MX Blue as a key overall isn't a very popular switch in comparison to Red and Brown. This may be contrary to what many believe but based on the volume of what we've been asked to produce, Cherry MX Blue is vastly outsold by Red and Brown MX (both RGB and single LED). This isn't just from a single region either and ultimately played a role in our decision to discontinue the MX Blue RGB.

We do apologize for those who were anticipating this version of our Corsair Gaming RGB Keyboards. For those customers who have issues with their already-purchased MX Blue RGB keyboards, our customer service are prepared to assist you accordingly. Feel free to post or PM me any questions or concerns you may have and I'll address them personally.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... after reading through this thread, I can gladly say I made a good decision for once. I really wanted to get a K95 Cherry MX Blues RGB after finding out about this keyboard. After hours of research, I found that many people complained about the LED failures on their keyboards and I was a bit scared to get it. However, they said the newer batches had the problems fixed so I trusted in Corsair on that and went to find one right away. To my dismay, I was told by many sales representatives that the blue switches weren't out yet and Corsair has still not released any info about it. My only options were reds or browns.. So after many days, weeks, month.. (won't say a year cause I didn't wait as long as many others) I gave up and said I would go for the browns. Went hunting for it and lets just say NEVER in stock ANYWHERE!! I even told my group of friends that I was willing to give any of them $30 if they found one IN STOCK FOR ME TO BUY. I stopped caring so much about the price difference between the stores and said if ANY STORE HAD THEM (for a reasonable price... not like doubled the price cause thats stupid) I WOULD BUY IT! Weeks later after constant hunting for the keyboard I could finally get one. I've been using it for a little over a month or so now and I have to say... It is beautiful in every aspect EXCEPT that it's not blue switches :\ ... Although I've gotten used to using brown switches now ...

Seeing how many people actually "didn't give up" like I did in waiting for the blue switches and then being told they aren't ever getting it kind of upsets me since I wanted one initially ( I would still switch for a blue anytime ). There was a store while hunting for a K95 RGB that said I could pre-order a blue switch one if I wanted to, but I declined as I wanted it NOW instead of waiting. So glad I didn't pre-order it. I know it's not just Corsair's fault for everything since the slow manufactures are from Cherry. I hope everyone who pre-ordered one gets their refund back (because that is SO WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS IF YOU DON'T). For those who still really want the keyboard, give the other switches a chance and maybe you'll 'grow' onto them like I have. My friend also gave up waiting for the blues and bought the k70 RGB reds and he loves it now too despite having to wait for the batch after my one to get his. If you can't find it on Amazon or Newegg, try somewhere else not as popular as the batches do get spread out evenly-ish between the stores. I hope Corsair will come back one day soon and tell everyone they fixed the issues with the blue switches and are currently in the process of manufacturing. I think even then... People will be willing to get one considering how LONG they've already waited... But hey guys!! Think of it this way.. At least this way you didn't get sent a defective keyboard that you spent heaps on for... The process then might take so much longer to get a refund...

I'm still ticked about this. I did get the standard K70 with the blues, its upsets me thinking how amazing it would of been to get a RGB version. I think the K70 that I got is by far the nicest keyboard I ever had or could want. Got the M65 to go with it. It only glows red, witch is good, but, I so hard my heart on making the color of the keyboard the same as the Dillinger disk disk in the first TRON :( . I guess I'll just have to wait for them to start making them again one day. I did try the Reds at bestbuy, I thought it was a joke they were so soft, I almost could not believe that the reds are so popular.

I know whats going to happen, I'm going to buy the none RGB K70 cherry blue and then they will start making the RGB version again and I'm going to be pissed, and rage like no tomorrow and have to shell even more money out.

That would be rather stupid.

Is there any chance the MX blues are available again some time?

No blue, no buy.

They most likely won't be producing blues as blues have had a long history of issues. Higher chance of key chatter, key failure, and not to mention they have a lower per batch output so ex for 100 reds made maybe 1 will fail while for 100 blues 7 will fail. While that might not seem like much when you scale that up to a few million switches the numbers become huge.

Although I too would like to purchase the K70 RGB with Cherry MX Blues, it's good that Corsair have chosen to discontinue it until they (Cherry) can produce them with a better yield. Nobody wants to be spending a large amount on a keyboard that has a high failure rate and is likely to be produced in a poor quality.

Hopefully at some time Cherry will be able to reproduce the RGB MX Blues with a better yield as I'm hoping to upgrade from a 2013 Blackwidow to a K70 RGB.

• 2 weeks later...

I was all set to buy one of these things. Heck, I would have paid $200 for it.

Oh well... back to searching for The One.

EDIT: One minor request. Could Corsair kindly remove the blue RGB switches from their website? They're still there. Thank you.

I was all set to buy one of these things. Heck, I would have paid $200 for it.

Oh well... back to searching for The One.

EDIT: One minor request. Could Corsair kindly remove the blue RGB switches from their website? They're still there. Thank you.

All of Corsairs Products are kept on site so users can get software and firmware updates easily.

All of Corsairs Products are kept on site so users can get software and firmware updates easily.

Do you mean this as a response to waxtats`s request to remove products that no longer exist?

"EDIT: One minor request. Could Corsair kindly remove the blue RGB switches from their website? They're still there. Thank you."

In case yes I do not understand what your point is.

Archived