Corsair Community

random shutdown

Wan

Today is about the third day im having my new rm1000 psu and gtx 970. I already experienced some problems like pc getting very hot when playing games. Yesterday I tried to turn on my pc but when pressing the boot button, nothing happened. I went outside for a couple of hours and when I came back home, my pc was turned on. Today I was browing the internet when suddenly my pc shutdown. After two seconds it turned on again. Only a few minutes passed when it shutdown again.

What should I do? Could it be that something is connected wrong? Or maybe I got a faulty psu? I will post the pictures of my pc later.

• Corsair Employees
Your problem is probably heat. You shouldn't run a PC with no ventilation. Your case is made to have an intake in the front and an exhaust in the back. You can't rely on the PSU fan alone since the PSU fan is only going to turn on if the PSU itself gets too hot. And it's NEVER going to turn on because of load because your PSU is about four times more power than you need for that build.

• Corsair Employees

$20?!?! Where are you buying your fans?

And what do ytou mean where would you put it? There's a fan mount on the front and rear. I can see it in your pictures. Looks like they might be able to take 80mm or 120mm fans, but it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture.

If you want to see if that's actually the problem, leave the side panel off and see if it acts better.

I'm not sure if 20 bucks is too expensive or too cheap. If looking at the fancy fans, I'm thinking about

CORSAIR CASE FAN SP120 PWM HIGH PERFORMANCE EDITION 120MM DUAL PACK*which costs 34 eurs. But I could just buy a cheap one for 3 bucks if they are sufficient in my situation.

• Corsair Employees

I guess prices are higher in the EU.

But you don't need SP fans (static pressure). You only need the AF fans. Here in the U.S., a two pack is $25 to $30.

That's still a little expensive, but don't trust a $3 fan. While they're "sufficient" for air flow, the bearings die out quickly. Just make sure you get something that's PWM (so the motherboard can control the speed) and has a ball bearing (as opposed to sleeve bearing).

the psu is most likely not your issue.

your getting thermal shut down.

when your computer is first turned on it is running at 100% until windows loads.

try putting new thermal paste on the cpu, and get a few fans in there.

your going to have the same issue with and psu,

Well, psu was the only thing I could think of who is responsible for something like this.

My pc was completely cool when it started shutting down (I was browsing internet with Google Chrome) and I wasn't able to turn it on for a day.

I will report back after I get my new fans (December 29-30).

Also, can anyone explain why did my computer turn on after I changed its location?

• 2 weeks later...
It is about fifth day I have my fans fitted. The computer is very cool and doesn't get hot even when I play games. But apparently I don't think it fixed my problem. Today, I turned on my computer and after 10 minutes it shutdown. I wasn't able to turn it on for the next 10 minutes. I switched PSU power button off for 5 minutes and then I was able to turn it on.

Ah, it shutdown again. I think that I won't turn on the pc since that kind of shutting can probably damage the computer. Also, could it be that the problem is that I connected my gtx 970 with wires provided in the gpu box instead of wires that came with psu?

• Corsair Employees

Yes. That would've been good to know.

Those adapters are only to be used if your PSU doesn't already have PCIe connectors. And even then, I don't recommend them. Each Molex power connector only has one +12V wire. So you're using two +12V wires on each PCIe when there's supposed to be three.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use the included PCIe power connectors!

Just to make it clear, I'm currently using a 6pin cable which is connected to psu in peripheral & sata slot. On the other side of this cable, there are x4 4pin peripheral which connects to the cables I got from the gpu box.

Archived