Corsair Community

H80i poor cooling compared to stock cooler?

frappattack

Hi I new to the forum :)

I just bought a H80i and was wondering if my temps are okay or if I should worry?

I have an i7 3770 (non k), I'm using the fans that come with the H80i at the rear of my case pulling air in and getting 37.8C idle and the highest I've noticed was 68.5C at about 61% load.

Not sure if this is normal as there is only about 3 degrees difference to my stock cooler and considering I paid $135 (Australian) for this cooler I can't help but feel ripped off.

I understand about the idle, but as I said 68.5 @ 61% load.

However I've just been playing dragon age inquisition for 3 hours and in that time my temps got up to 71C at one point (68% load).

I'm using Core Temp to measure temps but Corsair link is different.

eg. 57C on corsair link = 71C on Core temp

That's a big difference!

As I mentioned, that temp of 71C was about what I was getting with a stock cooler and I keep seeing people online saying idle on 3770 about 25-35 C

That is a bit warm for a 3770 at stock speed and voltage, and your room temperature doesn't sound like it's a serious factor either. The backplate mounting seems like the logical culprit. Hand tightening should be enough, but sometimes the tension from the thick hoses on the H80i make it hard to set it perfectly flush against the block..

The only other thing I can think of is your internal case temp is high. I don't know the Shinobi, but the set-up looks like fresh air in through the back 120mm slot, and then either passive or fan driven exhaust out the top.

My BIOS temperature is 47/48C and room temperature is 26C.

Maybe I need to re-seat my block?

also running 2 temp programs will give inaccurate readings.

what are the temps in the BIOS after 5 minutes? the BIOS will natively put a load on the CPU.

How do I put CPU under load in BIOS?

Okay so it turns out I ****ed up.

Back plate is on wrong (facepalm) I feel pretty dumb for doing this! LOL

Thanks to everyone for you advice.

So obviously I need to re-seat it, am I correct in assuming that I'll need to reapply some thermal paste? and what do you guys recommend as I'm pretty new to this (if you couldn't guess).

Don't worry about it. It's always difficult the first time. By the third or fourth time, you don't even hesitate and it's done in less than 5 minutes, although I hope you don't get that kind of practice.

At the risk of starting a brand war, I like Noctua NT-H1 and GELID's extreme thermal compound seems to be very popular lately. Both are silicon based, very easy to use, and non-conductive. Easy to put on. Lower risk of catastrophic failure. The Arctic Silver series has been the most popular for a long time and certainly is effective, but it is messy, and certainly more daunting to use for first timers. Don't get caught up in the temp comparisons. That stuff should only matter if your a serious overclocker pushing your limits.

Thanks for your advice, I still can't get over that I didn't notice those notches that make complete sense LOL! I probably should have taken my time doing this (10 mins seemed too easy to be true).

I won't be overclocking (only have a 3770) so pretty much any paste will do.

Noctua sounds good, but the problem will be availability as I don't want to pay $11 postage on paste.

I saw Deep Cool Z9 paste for $10 on a local shop's website, I might get that.

Also Z3 & Z5 were $5 & $7 respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived