Corsair Community

H100i thermal solution

taksdd

Hi,

I was just wondering - the H100i comes with pre applied thermal paste. Does it mean that if I attach it to CPU I have only one chance? If I decide that I need to disconnect it for few seconds, because I didn't screw the radiator well or something will I need to re-apply a new paste??

(I'm building my first PC and just wanted to be sure that I do things well etc..)

Also one more question. Im planning to replace stock H100i fans with 2x SP120mm high performance fans. Will the H100i fans controller be able to handle these??

Thanks

Yes, the H100i comes with a white block of paste already on the copper thermal conductor. When the unit heats up for the first time, it will melt and spread. There is absolutely no reason to remove it and try someone else's magic TIM. The skill in applying the paste always trumps any natural properties it may or may not have. But you're right, if you make a mistake and need to remount the plate after firing up your rig, you will need additional thermal interface material of some kind. The prudent measure would be to pick up a small supply of TIM when you get your H100i, just so your not stranded if something goes wrong. Lots of people use Arctic Silver 5, and I have used it with good results. However, it's messy stuff and possibly a little daunting to use the first time unless your good with arts and crafts. I used Noctua's NT-H1 the last time I did this. It is very easy to use and I am sure others can suggest brands as well.

As for the fans... I can't fault you for replacing the grey SP120's. However, do take care in selecting your fans. As I am experiencing right now, the H80/100 controller is a sensitive thing. I thought I had done my homework and selected lower speed fans with a substantially lower amperage compared a stock SP120L (0.34A). Nevertheless, I believe my controller is dying a quick death. If you are changing for aesthetic reasons, the standard Corsair SP120's (the black ones with colored rings) and their quiet edition variant will work just fine. It is the exact same fan as the stock SP120L, but without the extra 300 RPM at the top end that seems to have ruined the grey 120L's noise profile. Their are many other choices. Just make sure the amp draw from the fan is less than the stock 120's number. Also stay away from LED fans. They will always have a higher power draw because of the lighting, and I would be very suspicious if it didn't (unless it tops out at 900rpm).

Yes, the H100i comes with a white block of paste already on the copper thermal conductor. When the unit heats up for the first time, it will melt and spread. There is absolutely no reason to remove it and try someone else's magic TIM. .

it isnt a matter of only heating up the paste in order to replace but also if mounted and squished together then it needs replaced if removed even if it isnt fired up...

It's always a little difficult the first time. Most people struggle with the hoses (literally) and that can be twice as hard if your in a tight space. Hard to give specific instructions without a knowledge of your case. Some people bolt the water block to the MB first. Some bolt the radiator down first. Logistics of your case may force the decision.

I've always been told to make sure that the amps are less than our equal to the amps of the stock fans which is .18... I'm pretty sure most fans will be fine though, just avoid LED's and don't go for super high RPM fans unless you are cool with plugging them into the mobo directly.

The 0.18A draw is for the Corsair SP120 PWM edition (the black with colored rings), which it sounds like is what your looking at anyway. Corsair does not list the stock grey SP120's power draw, but I've found it elsewhere as 0.34. Regardless of teh exact specification, it is absolutely more than the black SP120 PWM. The grey SP120L is an overtuned (higher RPM) version of the same fan. Higher rpm, higher power draw. Since what ever fans you pick will undoubtedly run at far less than 2700 rpm, your safe with most things that don't flash, make coffee, or double as outdoor Christmas lights.

Here are the SP120L fan specifications that is found on the H80i/H100i.

H100i/H80i fan spec

Rated Voltage 12 V

Voltage Range 5.0 V ~ 13.2 V

Starting Voltage 5.0 VDC

Rated Current 0.35 A

Rated Power Cons 4.32 W

Speed 2700 +/- 10% RPM

Airflow 74.42 CFM

Max Static Pressure 4.82 mm-H20

Noise Level 37.68 dB(A)

Life Expectancy 50000 Hours @ 40 °C

Archived