Corsair Community

Corsair Utility Engine is BEYOND useless.

AntVenom

KEYBOARD I'M USING: Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB, NA layout.

I am going to endlessly bump this thread until either someone who has experienced this exact issue helps, or until a Corsair rep helps. I'm willing to be patient, but I am definitely not happy that I just purchased a 170 dollar keyboard with beyond useless software.

My computer components are

ASUS Sabertooth x79 Motherboard

i7 Extreme 3960x

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Keyboard (w/ Main connector plugged into USB3, but I've tried both in USB2, and that doesn't change anything)

For the brief moment I was able to see it, I know the firmware is 1.13, which was what the keyboard came with. I am using the latest CUE software, which is 1.2.77. I'm AMAZED there hasn't been an update to this for over a month.

And I can't imagine what else would matter for this issue.

The issue I am having is:

The Corsair Utility Engine simply does not work for me. As my setup is right now, when I turn on the program, IF it detects the keyboard (Which it usually does if it's detected it once), the image of the keyboard shows up, about 3 seconds pass by, and then the program crashes on it's own. I got the program to work ONCE, but it refused to allow for a firmware update, as the program immediately crashed when I tried. So as it stands right now, I can not do a firmware update.

I have tried uninstalling the software, unplugging the keyboard, rebooting, reinstalling the software, rebooting again, then plugging in the keyboard, all to no avail. Normally, when I launch the program for the first time, even if the keyboard is working fine, the program will usually not detect the keyboard until I unplug and replug it into the USB port, at which point, the program just crashes.

I am willing to help diagnose it, but I REFUSE to let this thread die until this issue is fixed.

• Corsair Employees

The firmware for the keyboards is 1.15. If you can't get the SW to update the device properly, contact our tech support team and they can help you do it manually.

Make sure also that your drivers and BIOS are updated to the latest versions (very important), especially the USB 3.0 ASMedia controller.

Alright, I'll keep working on it. I noticed that, while plugged into USB2, if the system is on a FRESH restart, the software will work, but if I attempt to update the firmware, the software will crash, and the previously noted issues will persist. I may just leave it at this, but I find it AMAZING that which port it's plugged into can even matter (Meaning, USB3 won't work, but USB2 will), I've never had a piece of hardware EVER have that issue.

• Corsair Employees
The way CUE works is that it constantly and rapidly sends a large number of information through the USB port to the keyboard. We've found that depending on the chipset and the type of USB controller, this can have varying results. On top of that, the RGB keyboard has sophistication that extends beyond what most keyboards (even the non-RGB K70) contain.

That still doesn't explain the consistant crashing of the program. While it was working just now, I was just using my computer, the colors locked up (As I had a white ripple set up), and the ripple froze, I unplugged, and replugged in the keyboard, and the software began constantly crashing again.

And USB2 speed caps are around 480Mbps, so if NEARLY that much speed is being sent, that's just bad design. And why it's not able to work through USB3, but fine through USB2, that's not really a valid reason. However, I'm not 100% sure that it WONT work through USB3, but as far as I know, it's not when it's a 1-plug configuration.z

Edit: Yeah, so as noted in the first post, the keyboard will show up, and the software will crash 5 seconds later. So I loaded this up, and during those 5 seconds, I enabled my profile that I made, and hit keys to cause the ripple to happen, but as soon as the software crashes, the ripple stops. Like seriously, why does it crash in the first place? I can BARELY get over the USB issue, but the crashing issue simply is NOT acceptable.

Edit2: Also, I checked event viewer for a crash report for the program, but there isn't one anywhere in event viewer.

• Corsair Employees

Its not the speed that matters of the port, its how information is sent that matters. ASMedia USB 3.0 tends to be the most problematic for example as even though the ports are fairly quick, the packets tend to be corrupted. This is why its important you update everything properly.

As for the software crashing, there could be more than one reason why it does so. We do have this board in-house so we can verify it, but we'd need more information from you to properly replicate it (what BIOS are you using, what profile if any you're using).

Sure. I'm using the latest available bios from ASUS's website. The switch on the keyboard is set to the switch it was set to by default, which is the 1-switch. The software will crash w/ JUST the default profile, so the profile that's set in the software really doesn't matter.

And...I mean...what about any peripherals I have will cause the software to crash? I really doubt any of it is an issue, but I'll list everything I can think of.

2x GTX680's, but not in SLI atm.

32GB DDR3 Corsair 1866 Low Profile RAM

Mionix Avior 8200 Mouse

Bose Companion 5 speakers

CyberPower Battery Backup

External DVD Drive

MXL 009 USB Microphone

If there's anything else you need to know, let me know. I'm also gonna have to look into the issue where the lights stay on when the system shuts down. I know I've seen a few threads on it, but it's definitely an odd issue.

Edit: Also, when I started the system up just now, the software crashed just a few seconds after starting again, so this time, it did not work. even after a fresh, cold boot.

• Corsair Employees
Sure. I'm using the latest available bios from ASUS's website. The switch on the keyboard is set to the switch it was set to by default, which is the 1-switch. The software will crash w/ JUST the default profile, so the profile that's set in the software really doesn't matter.

And...I mean...what about any peripherals I have will cause the software to crash? I really doubt any of it is an issue, but I'll list everything I can think of.

2x GTX680's, but not in SLI atm.

32GB DDR3 Corsair 1866 Low Profile RAM

Mionix Avior 8200 Mouse

Bose Companion 5 speakers

CyberPower Battery Backup

External DVD Drive

MXL 009 USB Microphone

If there's anything else you need to know, let me know. I'm also gonna have to look into the issue where the lights stay on when the system shuts down. I know I've seen a few threads on it, but it's definitely an odd issue.

The lights staying on has been resolved with FW 1.15 so that won't be a problem once you get it updated.

The lights staying on has been resolved with FW 1.15 so that won't be a problem once you get it updated.

Okay, fair enough. But yeah, definitely need to figure out this software issue.

Edit: If there's any other information you want me to provide, let me know. Presently, the keyboard is plugged into USB2 ports, and after ANOTHER reboot, the software still crashes, so I don't know how much of a difference USB3 makes vs USB2, at least for this motherboard. I really can't see how even CORRUPTED data being sent to the keyboard should cause the software to crash. But obviously, I've ruled this out by trying both USB3 and USB2.

If I had a debug menu for the software that showed why it closed, this would all be so much easier.

I notice that the software crashes in the exact same way when I click the update firmware button (it will crash IMMEDIATELY after hitting the button, every single time), so I feel like the software is crashing as a result of it checking for new firmware, and that just not working atm.

Edit1: Sometimes too, this will happen. The keyboard wont show up, but the devices tab will be clickable, but blank. http://prntscr.com/5itarl

Oh, I just found the log file. Here's everything that's happened recently.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: UserSessionInfo: locked changed to 0.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: UserSessionInfo: connected changed to 1.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: UserSessionInfo: local changed to 1.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=5a7 pid=1020 not found.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=764 pid=501 not found.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=d8c pid=13c not found.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device vid=1b1c pid=1b13 is marked 'slow startup'.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=22d4 pid=1306 not found.

[2014-12-19T21:15:10]: Device profile (meta) for device vid=22d4 pid=1306 not found.

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b13 path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b13&mi_00#9&23a3d55&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Failed to open device: vid=1b1c pid=1b13 path=\\?\hid#vid_1b1c&pid_1b13&mi_01&col01#9&19fdc99a&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Created new device object: K70 RGB; ready: 0

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Attached to device object K70 RGB: b=1 a=1

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Attached to device object K70 RGB: b=1 a=0

[2014-12-19T21:15:16]: Initializing K70 RGB...

[2014-12-19T21:15:18]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:23]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:28]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:33]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:38]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 121.

[2014-12-19T21:15:43]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:43]: Initializing: spent all tries on getDeviceInfo().

[2014-12-19T21:15:48]: Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:53]: Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:58]: Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:15:58]: Initializing: spent all tries on deviceSerial().

[2014-12-19T21:16:03]: Execution result = 1, result = 0, platform error code = 31.

[2014-12-19T21:16:03]: Initializing: failed to read proto version.

[2014-12-19T21:16:03]: Get device info prepare failed. request timed out

[2014-12-19T21:16:03]: Initialized (st=0) K70 RGB.

[2014-12-19T21:16:03]: Device object failed to initialize, so it won't be registered with application susbystems.

[2014-12-19T21:16:07]: Firmware Download: Failed to parse firmware version.

[2014-12-19T21:16:07]: Firmware Download: Some of required values are not set, aborting.

[2014-12-19T21:16:08]: Get device info prepare failed.Execution result = 0, result = 0, platform error code = 121.

[2014-12-19T21:16:36]: Set OpMode failed. request timed out

Okay, new development. If the system starts, and I let the program start on it's own, then open the software from the taskbar, it works fine. I'll test this for USB3, and edit this post. Sorry that I'm making posts after other posts, but I'm only making new posts when something drasticly different happened, or needs to be mentioned. But for this, I'll just make an edit.

Edit: And now...i can't get the software to remain working...Reboot, it crashes immediately after I open it from the task bar. This is on both usb3 and usb2.

Edit2: I noticed that, if I wait like...20ish seconds after the software automatically boots up to open it, it works fine. If I open it immediately after it shows up in the taskbar, it crashes. If I try to update the firmware however, it crashes immediately, and presents the normal crashing issues. For the rest of the night, I am not going to touch the software, and we'll see if it crashes. I think this "firmware updating" issue could be a major fix for those affected if it's fixed. Now, I am going to try this on USB3.

Edit3: USB3 is very clearly an issue. Tried having the single-plug, and both plug configurations w/ the top USB3 plugs, and both caused the software to break connection, and not work. Funny enough, on USB3, the software didn't crash...it actually thought it had connection w/ the keyboard, but the lighting effects would lock up. However, if the main USB plug is in USB2, and the aux is on USB3, it works fine...so far.

If you still need anything from me to help test / debug, I will be happy to help, and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Edit4: So...20 or so minutes have passed. no issues, as long as I avoid the "update firmware" button. That really does seem to be the core issue.

Edit5 (hours later): So I was able to update the firmware by plugging the keyboard into my windows 10 laptop w/ the CUE software installed on there. Worked like a charm, and even allowed me to unplug, and replug the keyboard just fine. It feels like the software just has issues w/ windows 7. The software still doesn't allow me to attempt a firmware update on my main win7 machine. Just crashes immediately

Last edit: so I started getting constant start-up crashing issues again on my main machine w/ the software. I have decided to prevent the software from booting w/ system start up, as my real goal was to have a solid blue keyboard anyways, which works. But this software seriously does need fixing for presumably windows 7 users. It's amazing how many complaints I've seen about the software in the past month, but there hasn't been an update in a month and 20 days. Like...what?

~Snip~

But this software seriously does need fixing for presumably windows 7 users. It's amazing how many complaints I've seen about the software in the past month, but there hasn't been an update in a month and 20 days. Like...what?

I'm on Windows 7 x64 with the latest CUE and left my FW at 1.13. I have no issues with CUE loading nor working. This is on a Sabertooth P67 using one of the rear USB 3.0 ports.

I don't have any of the issues that people have complained about. CUE has crashed once for me when I was exploring it and literally clicking EVERYTHING. Your experience is not normal, it just seems it is since most people with working hardware are using it rather than checking the forums.

Have you checked and made sure all your USB ports have the latest drivers and if so do your USB 3.0 ports have the latest firmware?

As Corsair James noted, ASMedia USB 3.0 tends to be especially problematic and guess what?

ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :

6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)

The Sabertooth x79 is all ASMedia USB 3.0.

Yeah, all of the drivers are updated, but I still have issues on USB3. I also have issues on USB2 as well. There's no plug configuration that causes the software to be totally stable.

And you're sure the firmware is updated on the ASMedia ports? It is totally separate from driver updates and in fact I'm not sure if ASUS has the latest on their site or if it is just a update to it since it is fairly old at this point (2012). Asus didn't even have a firmware update listed for my board, I had to manually find it.

I searched high and low for everything I could to update this board, and I did get the latest ASMedia3 firmware (Before, I only had the updated drivers), after a long battle. Same exact issues still take place. Funny enough, if I plug the keyboard into my powered USB3 hub, which I THINK may be plugged in via a potential Intel USB3 connection on the motherboard, then it works just fine, and the software doesn't put up a fight either, AND the firmware update option works fine plugged into this hub.

I still find it weird that this is an issue, and I really feel Corsair should be able to fix this issue w/ a CUE software update. The software simply isn't resilient enough, and it shouldn't have to require a super specific setup.

Edit: So my solution, is I'm running a powered hub off of the middle USB3 connection on the motherboard. My hub had disconnection issues on the top ports, which I now know are the asmedia ports. But on the port it's in, it's perfect. I'm still not sure why I have issues on USB2, but using 1 plug into my usb3 hub, everything works perfectly, no crashing at all.

This is the hub that I'm using. It's an absolute beast, and has worked perfectly for everything I've thrown at it...once I got it into the right USB3 port XD - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may edit this post down the line, because I know people will be googling for fixes to the issues, as I commonly do, and had to do for this. As much as it may not seem like the ASMedia ports SHOULD be affecting things, w/ the current 1.2.77 CUE software & the absolute latest firmware / drivers for ASMedia's USB3, it still causes crazy amounts of issues.

I don't think it's recommended to use a hub with this keyboard. Until your problems are resolved you should keep it as simple as possible, with the keyboard plugged into the motherboard's onboard jacks (back of the computer).

Sadly the only thing universal about USB anymore is the physical dimensions of the plug/socket.

I don't think it's recommended to use a hub with this keyboard. Until your problems are resolved you should keep it as simple as possible, with the keyboard plugged into the motherboard's onboard jacks (back of the computer).

Sadly the only thing universal about USB anymore is the physical dimensions of the plug/socket.

Did you even read the thread at all? OP had been trying it on the ports, USB 2.0 and 3.0 (AFAIK all the 3.0 on this board are ASMedia, which have issues). None of which would work properly. Now however with the hub (likely using a non ASMedia chip, plugged in to a certain USB 3.0 port works and the software and hardware are now finally usable.

I searched high and low for everything I could to update this board, and I did get the latest ASMedia3 firmware (Before, I only had the updated drivers), after a long battle. Same exact issues still take place. Funny enough, if I plug the keyboard into my powered USB3 hub, which I THINK may be plugged in via a potential Intel USB3 connection on the motherboard, then it works just fine, and the software doesn't put up a fight either, AND the firmware update option works fine plugged into this hub.

I still find it weird that this is an issue, and I really feel Corsair should be able to fix this issue w/ a CUE software update. The software simply isn't resilient enough, and it shouldn't have to require a super specific setup.

Edit: So my solution, is I'm running a powered hub off of the middle USB3 connection on the motherboard. My hub had disconnection issues on the top ports, which I now know are the asmedia ports. But on the port it's in, it's perfect. I'm still not sure why I have issues on USB2, but using 1 plug into my usb3 hub, everything works perfectly, no crashing at all.

This is the hub that I'm using. It's an absolute beast, and has worked perfectly for everything I've thrown at it...once I got it into the right USB3 port XD - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may edit this post down the line, because I know people will be googling for fixes to the issues, as I commonly do, and had to do for this. As much as it may not seem like the ASMedia ports SHOULD be affecting things, w/ the current 1.2.77 CUE software & the absolute latest firmware / drivers for ASMedia's USB3, it still causes crazy amounts of issues.

Looks like that uses a VIA chipset according to the packaging. VIA in my opinion is pretty good on all the chips I have used from them and would highly prefer VIA audio chips over Realtek but... no one seems to use them except on certain AMD model boards.

Running into some issues again. I click into the software, and i can set different profiles, but when I click out of the software, it reverts back immediately. Soooooooo weird.

I really hope Corsair is willing to try and patch some of these issues. If the software requires such a strict setup for usb ports, the software should be fixed.

Running into some issues again. I click into the software, and i can set different profiles, but when I click out of the software, it reverts back immediately. Soooooooo weird.

That's because selecting them in the software is for editing, and only applies while in the software. If you want to switch profiles, you have to right click the icon in the system tray and pick a profile. Alternatively, you can assign a key to switch between different profiles.

uyPiiXa.png

That's because selecting them in the software is for editing, and only applies while in the software. If you want to switch profiles, you have to right click the icon in the system tray and pick a profile. Alternatively, you can assign a key to switch between different profiles.

https://i.imgur.com/uyPiiXa.png[/ img]

Ahh okay, I didn't pick up on this before because that actually wasn't the behavior of the software before hand. selecting it just kept it as is. Thanks!

Archived