Corsair Community

Honest question - Should I buy a Carbide 540 now or wait ?

Silencer23

So I am interested in this case, looks pretty cool, finally someone steered away from the ugly 1980's computer case and created something new.

But I am hearing talk about how this has fragile doors and cracked SSD/HDD cages... Several reviewers broke the mounts first installation...

If there won't be a new one out to make this obsolete then fine, I'll get it and be very careful. But If theres a version coming out this year with different materials used I'd rather not get anything at this point and just wait.

After all it's quite expense, for a computer case... Being "premium" I'd like to not be depressed about it when a better made Carbide comes out.

Once again the internet opinions may be crap, like with any new product, someone will find something bad about it... Maybe to me the build will be great.. Just making sure Corsair thinks the same about the current 540

Any hints ? Thanks

Unfortunately, we don't know if a new case will be released to discontinue the Air 540 as Corsair does not talk about rumored and unreleased products.

I have not looked at the Air 540 side panel in person but the fragile door (Windowed side panel flexing?) imho is pretty normal. With a acrylic window that takes up nearly the whole panel i'd say maybe a little more than normal flexing will be present. The HD trays can be replaced by submitting an RMA if you do break the tabs. Though i have seen some reviewers wanting Corsair to change it so it is less flimsy.

I see..

Well, if there is ever a revised tray in the future, would I most likely be able to purchase it from Corsair for my "original" 540 ?

And one last thing... Living outside the USA, RMA is a little tiring to do with all the mail work... I'd rather just buy the bad part and have it shipped. In that case is it possible to just call a Corsair center in Europe/USA and order by phone and International Visa?...

If the HD cage and trays are universal (Fits in basically the space of an old one), it's probably possible but unfortunately i do not know if the a "new" is being considered or if it is universal.

Things may have changed but I have not seen a case here in the forums where someone was required to send the trays back. Corsair usually sends a replacement when the RMA is approved and most of the times, it is resolved quite fast.

I have a 750D that has the same trays. They are not THAT bad. I've swapped HDD's in and out a few times and have never had a problem. Some folks may just be pulling them out too fast or with too much force. They should be redesigned for sure but don't expect them to be doomed to fall to pieces.

I recently swapped computer from a 750D to a Graphite 730T. The drive trays were the same in both and the ones in the 750D had been well used. One of the 730T trays broke the first time I used it so I RMA'd it on Wednesday, it was accepted and dispatched on Thursday and arrived on Friday. I live in the UK, brilliant service.

• 1 month later...

Probably a bit late now but i'll add the benefit of my experience. First up not so good stuff:

SSD housing in the back chamber are fragile mine shattered in my hand the first time i took it off. I had to strip the 2 (out of 5 slots) that could be salvaged and fitted my SSDs.

The mesh grilles are a little rattley especially at boot up with a pump chugging way at full tilt.

The bottom has 2 dirty great holes in it which don't have grilles much less a filter.

The hard drive sleds in the bottom are a little hit and miss too. I now have a pretty much permanently installed 3.5"HD in one as it point blank refuses to come out.

Now you may have concluded that this is not the case for you and i would advise you to take a look at one in person. Even after all the issues and gripes i had i bought another one for my second rig. It is HANDS DOWN the best chassis i have used for full and cramped builds. I crammed a ton of parts (sli, 280mm rad and a **** ton of fans, SSD and HD's) and it still has PLENTY of airflow.

THe SSD cage i couldn't care less about really it's in there it works just be careful.

Small rubber shims or washers will ENTIRELY eradicate the rattle from the grilles.

A custom filter for the bottom holes fixes that.

Other than the permanent HD fixture (which to be honest will be in there until it fails at which point i'll rip the b'stard out and carry on)

Could be happier, cages could be more sturdy, rubber bits beyond grommets would be nice for sound dampening, hole on underside should really have a grille at least.

Overall VERY happy and entirely satisfied my expensive parts are getting PLENTY of cooling.

Archived