Corsair Community

Do I need to replace my H110 or is it my chip?

Charly2nd

Hi all,

I got a new system, with all new parts (see my specs.)

I feel all the parts I got are good for overclocking, however, I get unsafe temperatures (above 90C) after moderate overclocks (one of my cores hits 90 degrees Celcius or above when I run Prime95 Small FFT, with my chip at 4.2 and vcore of 1.27 or in that region. With lower vcore my computer freezes or would not even turn on.) It runs (sometimes), but the alarm bells soon start ringing, with one or two cores being sometimes 18 degrees hotter than the rest.

Is my H110 at fault, or is it my chip? I have installed H110 twice, and changed the thermal paste (cleaned with Arctic Clean 1 and 2, and used GC Extreme), to make sure that this was not the culprit.

My H110 does not seem to keep my CPU cool enough, although I also wonder whether I just got a bad chip, which I am still in time to replace. I am new to system building, so I don't even know how to diagnose this (or is it the motherboard?.)

My temps seem to hover at the level that people get after overclocking with this chip (i7 5930K), but mine is running at stock speed!

At stock, with ambient temperature at 24C, my core temperatures hover 2 degrees higher than ambient when idle, although one core is always a few degrees hotter. A stress test, with Prime95

Small FFT, takes my temps to 66C in my hotter core (a 42 degree delta.) At stock, core speed is 3499.18MhZ and Core voltage is 1.088V. I have taken precautions to disable CPU C state support and Intel SpeedStep. I am new to building, so I don't know how to diagnose what the problem is, but given that the rest seems to be working, should I try replacing my H110 cooler?

Any guidance, or suggestions as to other places to post these queries, are welcome.

235615479_CorsairTempsatStockSpeedDec19.thumb.PNG.4ce6db8b20a2f8e0d8e17c2cb2235eb3.PNG1687108175_CorsairTempsat4.2GhzSpeedDec19.thumb.PNG.c0eefb4403c1a79b4acdbddbb49de929.PNG

Thank you Dustin and Wytnyt for your quick reply!!

I used Prime95, following some online guides, and as advice as the ultimate torture test, but I am new to this.

I don't know much about OCCT, but here are my results after about 20 minutes. This looks better. I did have to up the voltage a bit to 1.280, since my computer was freezing again at 1.270.

Am I OK if I keep this chip at 80C max? Is H110 doing its job well?

The temperatures in OCCT don't seem that reliable (one core is up at 84C.)

Corsair Link says Intel Core i7-5930K Temp: 65.8C

AsRock Motherboard CPU Temp: 75.5C (which one should I use as guide for CPU temp?)

You can see other temps from OCCT and HWMonitor in the attached file.

I appreciate any reaction to this. Thanks again.

Charly

PS> Just when I stop OCCT, my computer freezes. Is this normal after running OCCT?

PS2> I know is unrelated, but every time I seem to find a stable overclock (no big problem w OCCT test), the computer would not post, and I am forced to raise the voltage (I've done the iterative process already.)

Is there something else I should be looking at, besides safe temps?

878549013_CorsairTempsat4.2GhzSpeedTestedwOCCTDec19.thumb.PNG.38324431ce446f982c7143672b280320.PNG

Thank you Dustin and Wytnyt for your quick reply!!

I used Prime95, following some online guides, and as advice as the ultimate torture test, but I am new to this.

I don't know much about OCCT, but here are my results after about 20 minutes. This looks better. I did have to up the voltage a bit to 1.280, since my computer was freezing again at 1.270.

Am I OK if I keep this chip at 80C max? Is H110 doing its job well?

The temperatures in OCCT don't seem that reliable (one core is up at 84C.)

Corsair Link says Intel Core i7-5930K Temp: 65.8C

AsRock Motherboard CPU Temp: 75.5C (which one should I use as guide for CPU temp?)

You can see other temps from OCCT and HWMonitor in the attached file.

I appreciate any reaction to this. Thanks again.

Charly

PS> Just when I stop OCCT, my computer freezes. Is this normal after running OCCT?

PS2> I know is unrelated, but every time I seem to find a stable overclock (no big problem w OCCT test), the computer would not post, and I am forced to raise the voltage (I've done the iterative process already.)

Is there something else I should be looking at, besides safe temps?

[ATTACH]20139[/ATTACH]

If you are seeing 80 during stress testing IE Prime, you will never see close to that in real world.. I see 79 on 1 or 2 cores running hard prime, but in gaming like Crysis3 or any new game maxed out with my system specs... I only see mid 40s after hours of gaming..

As for you locking up, well you are not stable.

Are you OCing your Memory also? I suggest taking a long read

here

http://forums.evga.com/How-to-Overclock-the-I7-Ported-m7528.aspx#7528

and here

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

You may not have the board or chip these links refer too... but the principle and what and how to are the same..

.. and then take your clocking slow as suggested..

t's not a fast process to get a GOOD OC and it be stable.. heck, I know mine has more than 4.3G in it.. but don't see the need to squeeze that last few 100M out of it

If you are seeing 80 during stress testing IE Prime, you will never see close to that in real world.. I see 79 on 1 or 2 cores running hard prime, but in gaming like Crysis3 or any new game maxed out with my system specs... I only see mid 40s after hours of gaming..

As for you locking up, well you are not stable.

Are you OCing your Memory also? I suggest taking a long read

here

http://forums.evga.com/How-to-Overclock-the-I7-Ported-m7528.aspx#7528

and here

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

You may not have the board or chip these links refer too... but the principle and what and how to are the same..

.. and then take your clocking slow as suggested..

t's not a fast process to get a GOOD OC and it be stable.. heck, I know mine has more than 4.3G in it.. but don't see the need to squeeze that last few 100M out of it

Actually, with Prime95, my temps were above 95C. 80 C is what I get with OCCT. This is why my first thought was about a faulty cooler.

But you are right, I haven't looked at my memory yet. I was using the defaults. Thank you for those links. I will read them and then report if I get past my computer freezing or not posting (which I get a lot.) I thought it was strange that even with a cautious strategy , I was getting so high temperatures and the computer freezing (it happens even at moderate speeds, like 4Ghz, and when using any of the preloaded settings that come with A-Tuning.)

I don't do gaming. I run statistical models for hours, that put a heavy tol on my CPU. For the past two years I have had very bad luck with workstations and PCs in general, so I decided to learn and build my own.

I hope is just a matter of tweaking the memory, and fix this issues. Thanks again!

Your supposed to use blend test with prime95. Small fft puts all stress towards cpu and less on ram. Small gets way too hot as well. With prime blend test u should be around same temps as occt.

So i pose running evga load tester and prime 95 small fft at the same time with a oc of 4.6 peaking out at 58 Celsius is good?;):

So i pose running evga load tester and prime 95 small fft at the same time with a oc of 4.6 peaking out at 58 Celsius is good?;):

So, Hoodedassault is right. Blended Prime and OCCT yield similar results for me.

Wytnyt, your temps look great. That is whay my pc runs at (60C max CPU temp) with stock speed of 3.5ghz and (no overclock.) Is H110 doing its job, or is that rather poor? I did see minor scratches in the surface of the H110 copper plate (on the outside of the the plate, away from the center), but didn't make much of it.

No matter what I do, any minor change away from default MOBO settings, my pc freezes, even when I keep RAM frequencies low (so I deal with RAM later) and overclock just a bit to 4GHz and take vcore up. Tests run fine, but when I close them or reboot, my pc freezes or does not post at all. How can I diagnose what part is failing?

No cuz if u look at gpu usage I gaurantee usage being cpu bottlenecked n gpu is hardly being used. Used to happen running prime95 and furmark back in the day at least 😛.

So, Hoodedassault is right. Blended Prime and OCCT yield similar results for me.

Wytnyt, your temps look great. That is whay my pc runs at (60C max CPU temp) with stock speed of 3.5ghz and (no overclock.) Is H110 doing its job, or is that rather poor? I did see minor scratches in the surface of the H110 copper plate (on the outside of the the plate, away from the center), but didn't make much of it.

No matter what I do, any minor change away from default MOBO settings, my pc freezes, even when I keep RAM frequencies low (so I deal with RAM later) and overclock just a bit to 4GHz and take vcore up. Tests run fine, but when I close them or reboot, my pc freezes or does not post at all. How can I diagnose what part is failing?

My guess is your either missing a setting or you need a bios update. I would get on latest bios first and foremost. Also before you start anything you are enabling xmp correct ? If u have any bsod code or error report in windows I can tell you almost exactly what the culprit is. Other than that it's kind of a needle in a haystack.

You should be able to do a simple tweak of 1-200mhz without touching anything tho. I had a Foxconn blood rage motherboard that was worse. Any tweak even 1 mhz would not boot and have to clear cmos. So start with a bios update and we can go from there like I said.

Yes, I have the latest BIOS installed and XMP is enabled. I have tried small steps first. Now I am trying the very basic pre-installed overclocked setting that come with A-Tuning, my MOBO tuning software (the lowest, at 4.Ghz and vcore of 1.207).

When I reboot, I can get into Windows, but then everything freezes after a few seconds. I don't get any error messages.

I will start from scratch all over again, with new BIOS, and take small steps again.

I don't have any errors (drivers, etc.) when at stock speeds and all default settings. Everything is very normal at that stage.

Cheers.

That is whay my pc runs at (60C max CPU temp) with stock speed of 3.5ghz and (no overclock.) Is H110 doing its job, or is that rather poor?

Your temps are good,,running average for a hydro

this build is a custom loop but my hydro's run around your mentioned temps,other than my 3770k which is a tad higher.

No cuz if u look at gpu usage I gaurantee usage being cpu bottlenecked n gpu is hardly being used. Used to happen running prime95 and furmark back in the day at least .

umm not so as both are stressing the cpu,the temp mentioned is cpu,of course i do need to run some gpu tests...

Thank you Wytnyt. I am still not convinced that these temps are normal.

Every online review I checked reports a delta temperature of about 20 degrees celcius when moving from stock speeds, from idle to full load (I am using OCCT.) That is, using H110 or other similar coolers.

My delta at stock speed, from idle to full load using OCCT is more than 30 degrees (see attached picture below. Idle temps on the right, new temps at full load on the left. Speed and vcore are the same.)

I did a little experiments with my two other computers (i960 with a Noctua air cooler, and a workstation with another six core processor, using a very simple heatsink - the one installed by default), and none of them show more than a 20/25 degree difference when moving from idle to full load, using the same stress test. (I conducted the experiment in the same room, w same ambient temp -24C- at the same exact time. for the same duration of time.) I know is not apples to apples, but the other two computers withouth H110 show a similar pattern to what I see elsewhere.

The H110 is my first water cooler, and I assumed that it would perform better than a stock heatsink or air cooler (most reviews seem to indicate so), so I still feel that H110 is not working to its full potential (I changed thermal paste twice, and I always get the same temps I got when using the paste that came w the cooler, so I don't think is a problem w the TIM application.)

I think I will seek a replacement (I haven't had this for more than a month.) After that, I will look into why I can't get a stable overclock.

Thanks for looking into this.474865131_CorsairTempsatStockSpeedDec21idleversusfullload.thumb.PNG.4dcb9eb599795085cbfbdc82073f9927.PNG

Your getting low 60s stock... temps are normal for that cooler... you can try replacing it tho if that makes you feel better... anything other than full on water cant handle more than 1.3v or so during overclocking without getting into the 90s on any of the newer K cpus. Especially with hex cores...

Your getting low 60s stock... temps are normal for that cooler... you can try replacing it tho if that makes you feel better... anything other than full on water cant handle more than 1.3v or so during overclocking without getting into the 90s on any of the newer K cpus. Especially with hex cores...

Thank you. So, a 30 degree difference is normal, when moving from idle to full load, at stock speed, and vcore at 1.09? I though it should be more like a 20 degree difference , when not overclocking. I am new to this, so I have to go by what I see in reviews and my other computers (with air coolers), and advice here.

Thanks!

You have to remember a lot of reviews will do their testing in like 17 or 18 degree ambient and on a test bench with the rad hanging there in open air with no other heat sources or air flow restrictions like in a case... plus not every cpu is the same. You could have 2 identical cpu's on same board with same cooler and 1 run 5 degree hotter or colder on every core. A lot of variables to consider. Theres not usually much differences with these coolers. It will either fail and totally not work and completely overheat or it'll work. Not seen a whole lot of in between.

You have to remember a lot of reviews will do their testing in like 17 or 18 degree ambient and on a test bench with the rad hanging there in open air with no other heat sources or air flow restrictions like in a case... plus not every cpu is the same. You could have 2 identical cpu's on same board with same cooler and 1 run 5 degree hotter or colder on every core. A lot of variables to consider. Theres not usually much differences with these coolers. It will either fail and totally not work and completely overheat or it'll work. Not seen a whole lot of in between.

Thank you!! This is very helpful information.

Makes lots of sense.

Now that the new thermal paste is settling in, the temperatures are much lower, and I feel more comfortable with my cooler. So, I guess one needs a bit of patience.

Thank you!! This is very helpful information.

Makes lots of sense.

Now that the new thermal paste is settling in, the temperatures are much lower, and I feel more comfortable with my cooler. So, I guess one needs a bit of patience.

So, here are my temps, after a day with the new thermal paste.

These are figures with an i7 5930k overclocked at 4.2Ghz.

After an OCCT stress test, the figures look very decent, don't they?

With Prime95 blend test, they are higher, but still under a critical point (although I don't like it when it goes above 85C.)

Is this normal for Haswell-E? I couldn't find much of a reference out there.

Thanks.

889249723_CorsairTempsat4.2GhzSpeedatfullLoadwOCCT.thumb.PNG.6770517c21286696189800ae0194c034.PNG

1725479138_CorsairTempsat4.2GhzSpeedatfullLoadwPrime95BlendTest.thumb.PNG.a43c4831be41b6fdb32a316edbed88ab.PNG

• Corsair Employees
Your OCCT temps are in line with where they should be. Personally, I wouldn't use Prime95. I haven't found it to be very reliable with more modern Intel architectures or representative of any real world conditions, and it can place undue stress on the CPU that shortens its life.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived