Corsair Community

AX860 "8 pin" to 6+2 pin enough for Gigabyte 970 G1?

Srebrnjak

Hello. :)

I recently bought an AX860 and a Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming graphics card. The PSU came with an abundance of cables, one of which was an "8-pin" to 6+2-pin. I'm adding ""s because it actually looks like an 8-pin, but has 6 pins instead. What I was wondering is whether those 6 pins were enough to power the 8-pin connector on the graphics card?

To better illustrate what I mean, I draw a quick sketch:

"8-pin" ____to____ 6+2 pin

[o|o|o| ] ------- [o|o|o] [o]

[o|o|o| ] ------- [o|o|o] [o]

Looks somewhat like the image below, just without the pin above the empty pin slot. Hope that makes sense, I'll try to take a picture when I get home from work.

Sorry for the abruptly large photo:

http://www.corsair.com/Media/catalog/product/c/p/cp-8920114_pci-e_pigtail_conn.png

Thank you in advance,

Matt

• Corsair Employees

Did you buy this PSU new? Because maybe you got the wrong cables with the PSU if you picked it up used.

The cables should look just like the one in your picture. 7 of the 8 pins occupied. I just looked at a cable set here and there's no 8-pin connector with only 6 pins occupied.

Hey, johnny, just the person I was hoping to get a reply from. :)

The PSU was bought brand-new, and yes, there are two connectors with 7 pins occupied like in the picture above, but they irritate me because they are actually a 7-pin to 2x 6+2 pin connectors.

As promised, the 6-pin to 6+2 pin. :(

http://imgur.com/ugihkW5.jpg

That's good to hear. :) Will eventually go for a sleeved set of cables, just found it a bit odd, not to mention basically no forums posts besides one about it.

Everything's working great with the 7-pin, so I won't complain much.

If you find anything more, let me know, please. :)

• Corsair Employees

So... Seasonic got back to me and said that the cables they supply only have six pins occupied. All other Corsair cables have seven.

If you plan to use the uni-sleeved cables any way, then you have nothing to worry about. If you don't feel good about using the 6-pin cables, contact support and see if they can send you another set (one with seven pins).

Hah, that is indeed interesting. Thought the cables supplied would be strictly Corsair's, despite AX860 being made by Seasonic.

So 2x 6-pin to 6+2's would be okay to power an 8 and a 6-pin connector on the GPU, correct?

I really appreciate the time you're taking with this. :)

Archived