Corsair Community

Problems with A7N8X-E Deluxe MB and 3200XL

SolidSnakeSyd05

Hi

I need some help in regards to my A7N8X-E Deluxe MB and Corsair TwinX 3200XL DDR Ram.

I have isolated the fault and I know what it is but I cannot seem to fix it.

Basically when I set Ram speed to 200Mhz = 400Mhz as (stated by RAM)

computer restarts when playing 3D games e.g FarCry in a few minutes, it varies sometimes 5-20mins.

But when I Ram speed to 166Mhz = no problems at all.

Played for a week for more than 2hrs - no drama.

Any Idea what it is??

I have a Amd XP Athlon 3200+ (400 FSB)

So I should be able to run Ram 200Mhz correct?

I was previously using a 3200C2 and the same thing as mentioned above happened. I returned to shop and got this 3200XL which is higher model, no fix.

I dont have a problem running it at 166 - speed is good, im probably not going to see much difference, but I would like to Run it at 400 as stated by the Ram. MAN I PAYED GOOD MONEY FOR IT!! I DIDNT PAY FOR IT TO RUN AT 333

However when I run memtest on both Rams on 166 - no errors.

200Mhz picked up some errors.

I have gone to ASUS/RAM GUY they dont seem to be of much help.

All they do is copy and paste scripts like they dont give a damn, they do not listen to the problem, they go into all sorts of scenario's and it confuses the hell outta me.

Look bottom line is

166 - no probs

200 - restarts.

And they cant seem to understand that.

Simple, it is not my vid card + power supply (otherwise I wouldnt be able to run it for more than 2 hours)

My BIOS version was previously 1011 which ASUS flashed for me because I was having some issues with it - flashed it back to 1006 (First Revision)

No fix.

Are there any settings I should manually input, as I am aware, if I load Optimised settings on MB, it sometimes gives me incorrect settings.

E.g External CPU Freq = 100Mhz??? Like what the.... I have a 3200+ should be 200Mhz.

I hope any of you guys can help.

Thanks, much appreciated.

:cool:

• Corsair Employees

Please take a look at www.ASUSforums.org and under AMD you will find several threads that will help you get this working.

But you will have to set the FSB Jumper to pins 2-3 furthest away from the CPU and get bios version 1.012 and then install the modules in slots 2-3 and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts.

So this is a known issue eh Ram Guy?

Other users are also experiencing my problem?

Man I thought I was the only one.

Yeh I will try those settings, I have a feeling may be my DDR voltage which is set to 2.6 by default, is that a little to low?

I just dont want to take any risks damaging the RAM which can void warranty.

It makes sense because from 166-200 is like 40Mhz diff and may req extra power am I correct?

I'll holla back at u if I need more help.

:sunglasse

Ram Guy, I will do what you suggested above, but tell me what is the purpose of setting FSB jumper to pin 2-3??

Wont my speed decrease?

Because in the manual it says 1-2 (Default) 400/333/266 FSB

and 2-3 200FSB ???

I am using 3200+ Amd Athlon XP (400 FSB)

Also i am installing memory in slot 1-2

I have 3 slots on my MB, does it matter what slot I insert memory in?

Also my MB default sets DDR voltage to 2.6 - if I increase voltage as stated by you wont it damage my ram/void warranty?

The corsair rams dont get easily damaged/overheated right?

As long as its safe then I will give it a try.

:confused:

Ram Guy

Thanks for the above info - it seems to fix the fault.

No restarts - played for approx 1hr, I hope it stays that way, ill do more testing with it.

Also just a quick question, the BIOS Ver you refered me 1012 - Reads my CPU as AMD sempron??? I have a Amd XP 3200+

Not that it matters, everything is working smooth, this shouldnt cause a problem should it?

Early Ver read 3200+?

Also the latency which you guys got me to set 2-3-2-6

Is it possible to set it to 2-2-2-5 as stated by the ram?

I dont mind 2-3-2-6 but i believe 2-2-2-5 is much faster, will i know that much of a difference?

Im mostly using it for gaming purposes.

First, Take a look at my tread HERE . This will help you understand what is happening to this motherboard (because yes, it's the motherboard's fault, nothing else).

Second, the FSB jumper : If you didn't touch it it's at 1-2 already. Leave it like this because FSB 200 x 2 = 400. Some people seem to touch it, I wonder why?

Third, BIOS 1012 is a must : if you flashed it already, did you make sure to 'load setup defaults' in the bios menu? Also, reseting CMOS may help you getting rid of those unwanted settings...

Fourth, memory timings : start with conservative timings (2-3-2-6, 2.8v) first. You can always tighten them up later when stability is achieved.

Fifth, memory slots : If you look closely at your motherboard, you'll see 3 slots : 1 black & 2 blue. If you use a black & a blue you'll be using single channel (64 bits). If you use the 2 blue slots you'll be using dual channel (128 bits). You get a small performance gain by using dual channel, nothing out of the ordinary, but why not use it?

Sixth, Wired is right : 2.9v max for these puppies...

In closing, try these settings (under advanced chipset features) :

CPU External Freq. (Mhz) - (200Mhz)

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting - (Menu)

CPU Frequency Multiple - (11.0x)

System Performance - (User Defined)

CPU Interface - (Optimal) [Greyed Out]

Memory Frequency - (100%)

Memory Timings - (User Defined)

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay - (6)

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay - (2)

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay - (3)

SDRAM CAS Latency - (2T)

FSB Spread Spectrum - (Disabled)

AGP Spread Spectrum - (Disabled)

CPU Vcore Setting - (Menu)

CPU Vcore - (1.650V)

Graphics Aperture Size - (256MB)

AGP Frequency - (66MHz)

System BIOS Cacheable - (Disabled)

Video RAM Cacheable - (Disabled)

DDR Reference Voltage - (2.8V)

AGP VDDQ Voltage - (1.6V)

AGP 8x Support - (Enabled)

AGP Fast Write Capability - (Enabled)

Try them EXACTLY like above... For this board, AUTO settings are your enemy.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jabberwok for your advice, much appreciated, ill give em a try.

Also in regards to jumper settings, i havent touched them but they are set to 2-3?? Shouldnt it be 1-2 by default? Unless ASUS moved them whilst my MB was getting serviced, i dunno.

Should I move it to 1-2 or leave it as it is? What do you think?

Ram Guy reckons I should move it to 2-3?

No I did not load optimised defaults.

I set them manually as stated by Ram Guy - should I load or leave them as it is?

Also setting the AGP to 1.6??? Isnt that dangerous? Like damage the card.

I have mine set to 1.5 by default - I have a Leadtek A400 6800 128MB Card

and Im pretty sure it is 1.5.

What are the advantages to setting it to 1.6V?

Also last question graphics aperture size 256MB? What if you have a 128MB card?

And I cannot set CPU Vcore to 1.65, I have a 3200+ and it requires 1.85, the option to change voltage is greyed out.

Thanks for your help guys.

You guys been great!

:laughing:

Okay... FSB jumpers : Move them back to 1-2 as setting 2-3 is 100MHz x2 = Duron setting.

While your machine is powered down, clear CMOS, and then load setup defaults (all in the manual).

AGP to 1.6 : gives a little more stability to all this, this is up to you though...

Graphics aperture size : you didn't say if you got the TwinX1024 or TwinX512 so im assuming it's 1024. Best technical setting is ram of the video card +12MB. since we cant select an extra 12mb, we select the closest one after this, which is 256.

And I cannot set CPU Vcore to 1.65, I have a 3200+ and it requires 1.85, the option to change voltage is greyed out.
Ah but read my post. Look at line 14 of the settings. You'll see "CPU Vcore Setting - (Menu)". You left the auto setting on! Get this off asap : look at THIS (Thanks to CandyKid : link taken from THIS post). 1.650v is the rated voltage of an AthlonXP 3200+, Maybe all your problems comes from this setting only...

Yep I have changed FSB to 1-2

I should see a big difference right?

I have cleared CMOS and load defaults

and set settings manually as you described correct?

I just checked jabba, my CPU is only set to 1.85.

Even when i set to menu (not auto) it only has 1.85 no other amount.

No this is not the problem, because otherwise it would be restarting.

Okay so i set the graphics aperture size to 256 - again big difference to 128?

Im using 1024MB.

I want to know if I set to 1.6 AGP voltage is it safe? Will it damage my card if it is 1.5? Im not sure what volt it takes, but i think its 1.5.....

Also my FSB is set to 0.50 - i will disable it as you described but what effect does this have whether I disable it or not?

• Corsair Employees

Actually the FSB jumper should be in pins 2-3 according to our testing here. I think the manual is in error. In addition, if you look at this same jumper on the non -E version it says that for 200MHz/400FSB CPU's pins 2-3 is suggested. Also if you notice the CPU Freq set to 200 with it set to pins 1-2 put the CPU Freq at 202 MHz while with it set to pins 2-3 set it to 200MHz.

So if you are having trouble I would suggest it be set to pins 2-3.

Okay

Now I am confused. Ram Guy is telling me to set 2-3

and Jabba is saying 1-2.

What is the best setting? I have set to 1-2 No probs.

Should I move or leave them?

Also will setting the AGP V to 1.6 damage my card or not? I doubt a extra 1 volt will do any damage, but still its a lot if its a 1.5V card.

I have set it to 1.6 as you guys insists, hope nothing happens.

Also why disable FSB spectrum? What is the point in that?

What do you think Ram Guy or Jabba?

I think the manual is in error.
As Ram guy said maybe the guy who translated the manual made an error. I may try moving the FSB jumper myself for testing as mine is set at 1-2 (factory defaults). With jumper set at 1-2 system is running stable at 400MHz.

As for FSB Spread Spectrum, Ill quote post #49 I made in this tread at asusforums :

Most people leave FSB spread spectrum on but what exactly is it's purpose? In short FSB spread spectrum is used to modulate the signals the bus generates to reduce the spikes it does to a flatter curve. It basically changes the frequency every cycle so you get less electromagnetic interference... But this has a side effect : It affects system stability, especially when overclocking. And since those Corsair DIMMs uses 2.7v instead of the Jedec friendly 2.6v, I encourage you to make your own conclusion...
Remember : This is MY own view on this matter & may be wrong. Maybe I misunderstood this function...

As for the AGP voltage, Revert back to 1.5v if you feel insecure about 1.6v.

Hope this helps...

OKay

Well it seems stable at pins 1-2 so i guess I will leave it :laughing:

No its not that I feel insecure, I want to know if its safe to set AGP to 1.6?? :confused:

I will feel more secure when I know its not going to blow my card to pieces or melt or damage any chips.

Is it know to cause any of the above?

Basically what i mean is, will it last long if I set it to 1.6?

• Corsair Employees

Well there is a lot of good information in this thread, but to surmise it a bit.

The FSB jumper should in my opinion be set only if you are having a problem. If it's not broke dont fix it.

And Jabberwok you are correct with regards to Spread Spectrum. That is exactly what it does, however it should not make the system unstable it may however loose a few notches of performance. You can do a Google search or search at http://www.rojakpot.com in the bios setup guide for the bios setting or settings in question and get more info.

Okay... I've done a few tests out of curiosity. All of this was done at stock speed with tight timings (Athlon XP 3200+ @2205, DDR400 ~ 2-2-2-10) :

First series of tests, The ONLY setting that changed in those tests is the FSB Spread Spectrum (results sorted by columns):

FSB Spread Spectrum - [Disabled] | [0.50%] | [1.00%]

CPU.........................-...2205.....|...2191....|...2186

L1 Cache..................-..13526....|..13441....|.13408

L2 Cache..................-...4306.....|...4279....|...4268

Memory....................-...1511.....|...1501....|...1525

..............................................|..............|...........

Settings : RAM..........-...200MHz..|..199MHz.|.198MHz

....."..........".............-...DDR400..|..DDR398.|.DDR397

Those were done with FSB jumper at position 1-2.

Next step was FSB jumper in the 2-3 position : Results came back almost the same, except for 2 results : L1 Cache ~[Disabled] = 13525 & Memory ~[1.00%] = 1498.

it should not make the system unstable it may however loose a few notches of performance
You're right Ram Guy & this test proves it. I also noticed no changes in stability whatsoever (5 passes of Memtest86 at each setting).

Personally , I've switched back to 1-2. But that doesn't mean that 2-3 is bad. I personally noticed nothing out of the ordinary between the two inside the BIOS.

So there you have it kiddies : FSB Spread Spectrum at any setting ISN'T less stable but IS faster at the [Disabled] setting. Of course I do realize that this may be a matter of debate for some, you may or may not believe me BUT the results speak for themselves...

As for the usefulness of the FSB jumper, My guess is that ONLY Duron users will really see the difference. The differences I got were small and don't really justify switching to 1-2. What does it do exactly? Specify the Duron's 100MHz bus? If anyone know then please, by all means...

Archived