Corsair Community

K90 keyboard + whiskey = no good

XenoRad

Hello all,

I've had a K90 for a bit more than two years now and last Saturday I decided it was a good idea to try a new brand of whiskey. The whiskey turned out to be very good but unfortunately the tricky shape of the glass it was in made me spill some directly on the keyboard.

Now initially I left it where it was and got some tissues to clean it out thinking it's just a little bit on the keys, but as I was cleaning I found more and more liquid so I decided to unplug it for safety and then take all the caps out to do a thorough cleaning.

The cleaning went well but when I lifted and tilted the keyboard I noticed the remaining whiskey pour through the hole where the G16 macro key was. I suspect it got in through the groove beneath the Space bar. I let it all pour out, shook it a bit and then left the keyboard to dry for and hour and a half.

I then reassembled the keys and plugged it back in. Immediately I noticed the LED brightness was stuck at 100% and then I found that no key worked. All the keys press as they should, they all light up and I can control the keyboard just fine through software. If I have another keyboard plugged in and I press keys such as "Caps-lock" or "Num-lock" the corresponding lights on the K90 light up as well.

I tried plugging it in another PC, I put it next to a heater and then next to a fan with warm air, but nothing worked.

I can't seem to disassemble it. The screws are on so tight that I'd either damage them or the screwdriver. I've asked around a few service stores in my area and they all said they can only replace keyboards and that they do not disassemble them because it's hard to put them back together. I could potentially convince one to try at it but it's not guaranteed and it will cost money (I'm also worried they might damage it when working the screws, some of which hidden).

Right now I've got some distilled water and I'm thinking of pouring it in through the same groove and let it slosh a bit inside and then rinse and repeat a few times.

If the distilled water doesn't work is it still worth it to try and take it apart? I'd rather not end up with an expensive paperweight, but if it's going to be an expensive paperweight anyway I'd rather not pay more money to have it in pieces.

Thanks for reading.

Rinse the whole keyboard with distilled water then put it in a bag with rice making sure to cover the entire keyboard . Wait about 2 or 3 days for the rice to act as a dessicant (in other words, absorb all the water) then clean out all the dust and debris and try it again. My 2 cents

Amélie

I don't think I would try putting more liquid on it as whiskey is pretty volatile unless it was a sweet whiskey like Southern Comfort. The sugar could be a problem. I'd just lean it up against a heat source like a radiator or floor heating duct and let it dry out for a couple of days.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I managed to take it apart. It didn't seem to be that affected by the whiskey (though now it has nice and sweet smell). On a visual inspection I could see no burn marks or anything out of the order, maybe some very minor corrosion spots (small traces of whitish deposits) below the CPU.

I cleaned it well with alcohol, dipped it and rinsed it several times with distilled water and then I dried it thoroughly with a hair dryer.

It still doesn't work. It lights up very well, looks very pretty but the only button that seems to work is the volume wheel.

I doubt a repair would be possible by the local service shops. I could hardly convince some tech guy on the phone to attempt to disassemble it and reluctantly he agreed to in exchange for quite some money. Usually they just send these keyboards back to the supplier.

I guess this means I'll have to buy a new one. Pity, every time I thought about it I figured I'd be good for 10 more years. I actually do have a 10+ year old rubber dome keyboard that I use daily for work and it's still going strong despite having it's fair share of spills (no whiskey though, only soda and water).

If I were to buy a new keyboard from Corsair, would you guys recommend the K95 simple or the K95 RGB (can you get this with the sails logo?) or maybe something else?

For some interesting reason the RGB is like 90% more expensive than the regular here though I believe I could get one at a more sane price via Amazon UK.

I might like to try the brown switches. For gaming the reds are good, but for some reason I seem to occasionally "trip" on them in heavy typing.

I see February the 6th as the earliest available date for the RGB with brown switches. Ouch!

Also, the old Sails logo is not (and probably won't be) available for this type.

I might like to try the brown switches. For gaming the reds are good, but for some reason I seem to occasionally "trip" on them in heavy typing.

I see February the 6th as the earliest available date for the RGB with brown switches. Ouch!

Also, the old Sails logo is not (and probably won't be) available for this type.

I'm leaning toward the brown's. I've been using reds for almost two years and I still don't feel comfortable with them, they just feel loose and it's easy to touch and activate. The browns are the way to go for now.

Brown switch user here. Although I have to say I'm curious how much I would enjoy the 'clear' switches, which Corsair doesn't offer. But I do immensisely enjoy both gaming and typing on brown switches.

The tacticle feedback is a bit subtle so if you are already a heavy typer you might not notice it as much, but if you are doing repetitive tapping while gaming, you can easily feel the actuation point.

I briefly tried typing on reds and I noticed I had a heavy tendency to do typos since the keys are so easy to actuate. The browns seem to be my sweet spot, but as I said earlier, now i'm curious about clear switches, they apparently have a more pronounced actuation, and so i'm wondering if it would be even better! :)

No regrets with the browns, and btw, as for those who like the 'clicky' sound. The browns without dampeners still make a nice klikity klak when you bottom out and release the keys. :)

For those living in Canada btw, Newegg.ca has the K95 RGB in Brown switches available, blue and red out of stock. And the K70 RGB all three switches are out of stock. These things are flying of the shelves.

I remember back in the days having to use the legendary IBM "Ball Head" Selectric to do all my papers. I really liked the feel of that electric typewriter for typing.

Since I've moved to mechanical keyboards I've heard from different sources that the Cherry MX Blues most closely resembles that IBM feel. As far as gaming using Blues I do have strong and thick hands so maybe Blues might be a better option for me than Browns. It would be nice to try both out before changing from Reds.

For gaming the K90 was very good. It didn't get in the way once and coupled with the M90 the feel was so connected with what I was doing that I could just focus on the game and not spare one thought on the input devices.

By the way, the K90 came back to life but it suffers. Around half of the keys do what they should and the others are multi-scrambled aka you press one key but you get three different inputs. The mute button acts a a sort of glitchy restart for the whole thing. Trippy. I'll see if it improves but even one key that doesn't do what it should is probably too much.

I guess I'll have to wait for the RGB K95. I was also thinking about the regular K95, it's cheaper and could probably get it sooner but I've heard it has some LED burn-out problems (more so that the K90 which is an earlier model?).

Has the logo "anger" subsided a bit? If I get the brown switches I'll have to get the keyboard with the new logo (which right now it's giving me an "it's so bad it's actually good" impression).

Otherwise the only realistic place I could get a k95 with reds and the classic logo would be amazon.co.uk (they'll have it there, right?) and hope that they can ship to my country for a sane price.

I'd like to try out the brown switches before I make a final decision, maybe check some of the bigger stores but I'm not sure what other hugely available mech keyboards have them.

PS: I know this may not be the right section, but I might be looking to replace my headset this Christmas and be in need of some advice. I don't want anything that fancy, just something with good sound and a proper mike -and it has to not disintegrate after around two years. Does Corsair have such decent headsets that are widely available?

PS: I know this may not be the right section, but I might be looking to replace my headset this Christmas and be in need of some advice. I don't want anything that fancy, just something with good sound and a proper mike -and it has to not disintegrate after around two years. Does Corsair have such decent headsets that are widely available?

I hown the H1500 Gaming Headset from Corsair, and I have to say. I'm not a big sound buff, but these are the first headset I've used that I can clearly say there is a huge difference in depth/range of the sound. It comes with a software equalizer so you can fine tune the sound as you wish.

And they are so damn comfortable!

By the way, the K90 came back to life but it suffers. Around half of the keys do what they should and the others are multi-scrambled aka you press one key but you get three different inputs. The mute button acts a a sort of glitchy restart for the whole thing. Trippy. I'll see if it improves but even one key that doesn't do what it should is probably too much.

I was just thinking that mechanical switches are, well, mechanical. A contact point is activated mechanically, but in your case some of those contact points may have some residue on them making contact inconsistent.

In the old days of car mechanics the distributor was controlled by the Breaker Points as seen in this article. When the car wasn't running right it was possible to take some fine sandpaper to clean the Breaker Points to get the distributor to fire better.

So, I'm just throwing this out as a theory, but it might be possible to get your keyboard running better by just activating the problem keys repeatedly to help clear the residue. It's always possible that some of the residue is short circuiting your circuitry, but I kind of doubt that. Like I say it's just a theory and maybe worth playing with to salvage your keyboard.

• 1 month later...

Hello again everyone.

I couldn't get the K90 to work, but I did finally receive a K95 RGB with Cherry MX Brown switches. ::pirate::

So far so good. Compared to the Reds I like the Browns better. I find their clicking sound to be a bit less coarse and the tactile bump is so subtle it can very well be ignored when button mashing is required in games.

The keys' lighting is still not perfect unfortunately. I got the UK layout with the big enter key and only the arrow in the middle is well lit, while the text "Enter" at the top is very dim. The number keys also suffer from uneven lighting.

The software is pretty cumbersome I have to say. Most I managed to do so far is set the various key regions to different colors with no additional effects.

I don't suppose I'll use the fancy stuff that much, will probably mostly create simple color profiles for different games to keep track of what keys are in use and for what purpose.

Maybe Corsair will release an M95 RGB to go with it...

One last thing -for what it is I actually like the new logo a bit. :bigeyes: The old one will always be a classic, sure, but for a "gaming" theme the new one is not so bad.

Archived