Corsair Community

Pairing RAM w/ Coirsair Vengence on Dual Channel memory slots

dost

Hello--

I was experiencing cpu temp problems so picked up a Shadow Rock Slim to replace the stock cpu cooler. I never had experience with cpu coolers so I assumed I would have clearance over my Vengence memory (big heatsinked ver. CMZ8GX3M2A16009B) with a slim model cooler. But during installation I realized it didn't give enough space for the high-profile Vengence memory, and had to remove a stick in order to install the cpu cooler.

However, I am able to fit low profile ram into the slots-- but the problem is that the memory slots alternate between black and blue. So the memory slots under the heat-sink that can take slim-profile ram, will have to be paired with my current ram CMZ8GX3M2A16009B for dual channel. My mobo is a MA97 EVO.

So basically my questions are:

1. Am I correct in assuming I could pair a 4gb stick from the CMZ8GX3M2A16009B kit with a different ram on the SAME channel so long as the GB, speed, timings, cas latency, and voltage are all the same?

2. I know that memory kits are tested to work well with each other; so would there be problems pairing different memory kits/brands (even with the same GB/spd/time/cas/volt) on the same channel? If there is, what type of problems would occur? And, how problematic could it get?

3. Am I correct in assuming the Corsair Vengence Low-Profile ram (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) are the same as high profile ones from CMZ8GX3M2A16009B just with different heat-sinks?

4. If it is perfectly okay to mix ram, and since the Vengence LPs are pretty pricey atm; would the Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2x4GB) and Team Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB) be good alternatives? They all have the same stats as my Vengence but are so much cheaper it makes it hard to justify where the prices for Vengence LPs are at now (especially since I don't overclock my memory).

Corsair Vengence, Mushkin Silverline, & Team Vulcan 8GB (2x4GB)

Speed: 1600 (PC3 12800)

Cas Latency: 9

Timing: 9-9-9-24

Voltage: 1.5V

I know the easier solution would be to either ditch the cpu cooler, or replace the ram entirely to slim profile ones... but I do like the silent performance (my pc used to run very loud) so I would prefer to keep it, and still be cost efficient in upgrading to 16gb, rather than side-grading to 8gb for the same amount of money spent. So any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Am I correct in assuming I could pair a 4gb stick from the CMZ8GX3M2A16009B kit with a different ram on the SAME channel so long as the GB, speed, timings, cas latency, and voltage are all the same?

2. I know that memory kits are tested to work well with each other; so would there be problems pairing different memory kits/brands (even with the same GB/spd/time/cas/volt) on the same channel? If there is, what type of problems would occur? And, how problematic could it get?

Mixing memory is generally not advised and stability in mixed configurations is not guaranteed. Sometimes it does work out on auto settings, sometimes you have to manually adjust timings and/or voltages or reduce the speed. But there is also a slight chance you won't find stability at all.

Each kit is tested on its own. Thats why 4x and 8x kits are sold as well. So you don't have to buy several kits / mixing memory to get to 32gb or 64gb and take chances.

3. Am I correct in assuming the Corsair Vengence Low-Profile ram (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) are the same as high profile ones from CMZ8GX3M2A16009B just with different heat-sinks?

Even if they look identical to you, that does not mean the actual specs are. Depending upon how old the kits are and what type of ICs were available at the time, they could be single or dual sided and/or use another type of IC that requires different secondary timings. For Corsair memory products this is somewhat transparent, since you can check the version number at the heatspreader. Using sticks from different kits with the same specifications and the same version number, might increase your chance of them working together.

I dropped the last question for obvious reasons. This is a corsair support forum after all. But the general idea is also true for other manufacturers kits.

Archived