Corsair Community

Acer Ferrari 3200 and XMS 3200 Sodimm

foulg35

Ram Guy,

The original SODIMMS in my Acer Ferrari 3200 are 256 MB, PC2700. Would replacing them with PC3200 memory cause the system to fail? I assumed that faster memory would always work in a computer spec'd for slower RAM. I've been getting frequent blue screens of death in Windows XP using a pair of CMXSD512-3200LL. Help!

I just got the same advice from another user and sure enough there was a failure at 498Mb on test#5 consistently on one of the two modules. I just sent the chip back to newegg today. Hopefully there won't be too much of a fuss. They have pretty strict return/repair policies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ram Guy,

I just received the replacement module from Newegg. My machine doesn't even post with this chip installed. I tried turning it on with the chip installed by itself in both slots without luck. The other, functioning module that I had all along works in both slots. It must be a bad replacement module. I'm getting a little frustrated and don't want to deal with Newegg anymore. They obviously didn't even test the module they sent to me. The bad module is lot #0437005-0. I'm going to request an RMA from Corsair for RMA replacement.

These are SODIMMS in question, so the part number is the CMXSD512-3200LL, 0441079-2. It can't be my notebook because I have one module that works perfectly in both slots by itself and the nonfunctioning one doesn't even allow the system to post. I've just sent it to Corsair today for RMA replacement. I assume the replacement one from Corsair gets tested before it is sent out, right? I'll let you know how the new one goes.

Archived