Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Keyboard USB Connection Requirements

Yellowbeard

I literally reinstalled my AHCI controller and USB ports several times, wondering why windows kept saying one of my USB ports was failing. It turns out, plugging both cables of my K95 in USB 3.0 Ports was causing the problem and now I learn that you only need one cable for a 3.0 Port. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL? Also is this confirmed by Corsair? Yellowbeard is a employee of Corsair?

Yes, he is a Corsair employee. Or it would be better to say "he was", he passed on last year unfortunately :(:

That aside, I believe they mention the USB ports requirements in the pdf manual but I can't recall the exact location right now.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, he is a Corsair employee. Or it would be better to say "he was", he passed on last year unfortunately :(:

That aside, I believe they mention the USB ports requirements in the pdf manual but I can't recall the exact location right now.

Sad news, rest in peace. I am thankful for his contributions. I swear my keyboard is responding much faster ever since I used this USB 3.0 port

I'm having a problem with cold boot only, I have to replug the keyboard every time. Have tried every port on the motherboard.

I have the ASUS X99-A, I've tried 1/2 in the USB 3.0, even the one that said it was not using the ASMEDIA controller, I've tried 2x USB 2.0 ports.

It's not a big deal usually, but if my power goes out or I work on the PC, then I have to go fishing behind the case to replug it.

Any ideas?

edit: I have a K65 RGB.

• 1 month later...
I'm having a problem with cold boot only, I have to replug the keyboard every time. Have tried every port on the motherboard.

I have the ASUS X99-A, I've tried 1/2 in the USB 3.0, even the one that said it was not using the ASMEDIA controller, I've tried 2x USB 2.0 ports.

It's not a big deal usually, but if my power goes out or I work on the PC, then I have to go fishing behind the case to replug it.

Any ideas?

edit: I have a K65 RGB.

I'm having the same issue with my K70 RGB after updating to latest firmware, CUE Software, and Windows 10. It is so annoying to unplug and re-plug at every cold boot.... Does anyone know a fix???

Is Corsair gonna fix it??? I read somewhere on the forum that they are not gonna focus on support with Windows 10....

I have a Corsair RGB and it seems to be working just fine except every time I start my PC, I get an error from CUE saying that no device was detected. I am using a USB 2.0 connection and have installed it as directed. In device manger all I have are HID-Compliant devices under the Mouse and just an HID-Keyboard. Running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. All profiles and such work fine. Just curious as to why there is no driver? Under Human Interface Devices there is a Corsair Composite interface Device??

I have a Corsair RGB and it seems to be working just fine except every time I start my PC, I get an error from CUE saying that no device was detected. I am using a USB 2.0 connection and have installed it as directed. In device manger all I have are HID-Compliant devices under the Mouse and just an HID-Keyboard. Running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. All profiles and such work fine. Just curious as to why there is no driver? Under Human Interface Devices there is a Corsair Composite interface Device??

Which keyboard do you have exactly? I see you mentioned you use a single USB 2.0 connection. Is it the K70 RGB maybe? Because that one requires 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Which keyboard do you have exactly? I see you mentioned you use a single USB 2.0 connection. Is it the K70 RGB maybe? Because that one requires 2 USB 2.0 ports.

I have the Strafe RGB Keyboard and yes it has two usb plugs and I installed them per the instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, maby stupid question, but if you install the second usb plug [from strafe rgb] in usb3 port, is the pas trough also usb3? and vice versa ,cable in port usb2.0 - pas trough also usb2.0.

I could not find it in manual..

Hey guys, maby stupid question, but if you install the second usb plug [from strafe rgb] in usb3 port, is the pas trough also usb3? and vice versa ,cable in port usb2.0 - pas trough also usb2.0.

I could not find it in manual..

The pass through is USB 2.0 as far a I know, even if you plug it in a 3.0 port it will still work like a 2.0 one.

• 3 weeks later...
For everyone having a problem after cold boot: Is your keyboard going to demo mode, like mine? (Displaying various colors and waves, etc) If yes, the only workaround right now is to press space or escape, preferably during boot, to get out of demo mode, until Corsair releases a new FW to disable demo mode. I urge everyone having this issue to contact Corsair and create a support ticket to push them to fix it ASAP.

I have an USB 2.0 switch, to be able to use two PCs. As far as I understood, when connected to 2.0 USB ports, the keyboard uses one of the two ports for communication, and the other one just "as a power supply". So my question is: could I connect one of the cables (communication) to the switch and the other one to an USB power supply? Should it works?

Thank you very much in advance.

I have an USB 2.0 switch, to be able to use two PCs. As far as I understood, when connected to 2.0 USB ports, the keyboard uses one of the two ports for communication, and the other one just "as a power supply". So my question is: could I connect one of the cables (communication) to the switch and the other one to an USB power supply? Should it works?

Thank you very much in advance.

In theory, yes it could work. But if the PC is turned off and the external usb power supply is on, the kb will go into demo mode. I recommend tying a usb hub or switch which supplies extra power through its ports(e.g powered usb 3 hub) so that one usb connection is enough to supply the Kb.

• 2 months later...
Yep. no other explanation.

Funny you say your K70RGB works with a single USB 2.0 port, mine does the same thing after a motherboard upgrade (to an Asus Sabertooth Z170). Is the extra power being pushed through my USB 2.0 ports something I should be worried about?

I might do some investigating and see if there's something weird with the ASMedia USB drivers, or some option for "boost" power for charging devices or something - perhaps that's what is causing the extra power IF it's noticing that the keyboard CAN draw more power (like if you were to plug a phone in via USB to charge)?

Funny you say your K70RGB works with a single USB 2.0 port, mine does the same thing after a motherboard upgrade (to an Asus Sabertooth Z170). Is the extra power being pushed through my USB 2.0 ports something I should be worried about?

I might do some investigating and see if there's something weird with the ASMedia USB drivers, or some option for "boost" power for charging devices or something - perhaps that's what is causing the extra power IF it's noticing that the keyboard CAN draw more power (like if you were to plug a phone in via USB to charge)?

Yes I believe many motherboards ignore USB specs to enhance the charging capabilities of their ports, some of them has bios settings to control it, mine does not. And no you need not worry, the extra power is only delivered to the devices requesting it and the motherboard was designed to take the extra load and besides, this is ASUS we are talking about, arguably the number one motherboard manufacturer!

I haven't read all the answers hear, but I do it was a problem for a bunch of us AVSIM (flight sim forum) suddenly started experiencing problems, ironically when we got our hands on probably the most sought after (affordable) rudder pedals.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Bear with me, my own problem was that I owned a K70 Single Colour KB (K65 RGB now) and the rudder pedals were polling at around 500Mhz/Sec at boot (checking for user interaction) while that version of the K70 probably about the same. (BTW, tried it with both USB, & 3.0 ports). Add to this that is the fact that most gamers own high-polling device for about 6 or 7 years ago, I own a trio of CUE RGB devices each polling at 1000Mhz.

Motherboards, particularly the Haswells and Broadwells K series were doing serious busniness. I myself opted for the cheapest K90A-K that was only about €95 and the 4770K and achieved a 4.2Ghz initially, eventually reaching 4.5Ghz. I do say this purely to boast as I've never managed to reach speeds with one extra fan in a little Carbide 300R series with a window.

Ok, relevant points are explained in the following links that the developer gave to me. He was not a happy guy as he obviously felt that gaming motherboards shouldn't be hampered by polling rate. I could only get my system to boot without the pedals plugged in, but then when I tried to use his config tool, my system would always crash. Upon rebooting I would also notice that I only had 1-50% of steering control in one pedal and the rest in the other. I had spent that amount of money on a product that he knew was having problems!!

Anyway, one afternoon he offers to go on Teamviewer with me and help me out. By now I had figured that by turning off something called AHCI hand-off to Intel fixed the booting problem. Then whatever he did, he configured the pedals perfectly. Flying with them (adjustable sensitivity) was a joy.

Now like everyone else I occasionally have CUE Engine crashes but rarely now, and I bathed in changing colors!

For anyone wanting the detailed explanations here are the links he gave me (he's Croatian, so excuse his less than flawless English -

We recently discovered a bug that can lead to MFG config

tool freezing...as well as require pedals replugging

because of corrupt settings :-) I will try to explain the

bug :

- But is present because we allowed the user to click

"apply" while calibration procedure is running :-)

Calibration starting and stopping is separate from other

procedures so it does not require apply to be pressed. In

fact if one click on "apply" while calibration is running

application will freze :-( We will fix this bug in our

future update.

On the failure of my Pc to boot he was very comprehensive in his conviction that it was how some Intel MBs (X87s, X97s, X99s) handled xHCI handover which is initially handled by USB 3.0 xHCI. He gave me a slew of articles which documented how users of high polling and high precision devices,think devices like the TM HOTAS Warthog or gaming mice with whatever stupidly high dpi were causing unforeseen problems for certain chipsets. But don't let me hoard those articles- enjoy:

Probably the mobo which use Intel USB 3.0 Xhci

take a look at this ( technical stuff)

https://communities....tart=0&tstart=0

Another youtube video really explain things ...but a bit long...problem dissapear after motherboard replacement :

https://www.youtube....h?v=A6SOdSeWSCM

This one shows that it's a clearly bios related :

https://forum-en.msi...?topic=183530.0

Some more links with same problem, but different HID usb hardware, different motherboards :

http://www.techpower...gged-in.153182/

http://www.tomshardw...-31-system-boot

http://www.tomshardw...ot-post-plugged

http://www.tomshardw...ccess-bios.html

http://www.tomshardw...mory-check-boot

http://www.tomshardw...t-mouse-plugged

Some more info :

Usually USB devices that cause freeze certainly the first during boot are a high performance ones...gaming mouse, MFG pedals, Warthog, more expensive USB HUB's...this lead me to belive that it has something to do with a very high speed interval of pooling data...

For example Warthog stick update it's position to windows every 15 miliseconds. ...MFG Crosswind pedals do it every 2 miliseconds ( 500 times per second)

I can publish a firmware update with less responsive update speed ...let's say 10 miliseconds....and try if that solve the problem

Milan

Unfortunately there are experienced users out their who never could calibrate and had to return. I forgot to mention that profiles were stored on electronics inside the pedals. A wonderful thing about this KB is that I can turn the polling rate during boot-up if I need to. These Cherry Reds are two noisy for me- who wants to swap for a silent Strafe:laughing:

Anyway, I would like to play some Phantom Pain now and see how my Strix GTX 980 copes with it. Never finished GZ, I'm just too crap at hiding. Hopefully this isn't as punishing!

Night/morning,

Paul

Just got my Corsair Strafe RGB and I have a question regarding its USB Connection Requirement.

I plugged in one connector with the keyboard icon in a USB 3.0 port as stated.

Keyboard worked like normal, but when I tried to plug in my Cloud 2 Headset to the USB passthrough on the Keyboard I cant seem to get my PC to recognize my headset device since the Instructions said to plug in only one connector when using USB 3.0

I tried plugging in the second connector to another USB 3.0 (since I'm currently out of USB 2.0 ports) and my headset got recognized by my PC and works great now.

So I wanted to know if my keyboard can stay connected to two USB 3.0 ports... is this safe?

I freed up two USB 2.0 ports temporarily for my keyboard and settled in using these right now.

I'm really looking forward to know if its safe to use two USB 3.0 ports for this?

It is quite bizarre and annoying how using, in my case anyway, from the same company can cause so many problems. If you look around your BIOS, try and find a setting for AHCI handoff, which when too many high polling devices are running at once, overwhelms Intel's system apparently. Since you have an Asus BIOS, I believe it's on the page after tweaks just below or maybe above storage. I currently have my 3 RGB CUE devices plugged into USB 3. Check my post on page 7 I think, where a a rudder pedal developer sent me a load of links about it.

Archived