Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Keyboard USB Connection Requirements

Yellowbeard

I have a Gigabyte GA-58X-UD7 v.1 motherboard and Phoenix BIOS. The USB 3.0 drivers seem only to load during boot...so I can NOT use the USB 3.0 connections...and have to use the USB2.0 - though I'd much prefer to use it the other way and save ports. Anyone have a similar board or know how to make the drivers always on. I see no such option in BIOS - USB 3.0 is 'on'. Thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was having a problem with my keyboard saying that it was an unknown device, i was just told that if you spammed caps lock, the lightning would freeze.. this in fact did this to me as well.

i used the usb port 3.0 and not only did it resolve the unknown device issue but the capslock glitch was resolved as well.

thanks for the ppl who mentioned it

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious if anyone thinks the K70 would work behind a KVM, and if so try USB3 or 2? (The 2nd power connection USB can go direct to one or the other machine easily enough...or even to an external USB power adaptor source I imagine?)

• 2 weeks later...
What is the consensus or 'official' [Corsair] best practice now for the two USB plugs? I have one 3.0 and lots of 2.0s - is that better than 2x2.0? - this is what I have now and I don't seem to have any problems since the firmware update. If one 3.0 is better, which plug should I put in the 3.0 if it matters?

What is the consensus or 'official' [Corsair] best practice now for the two USB plugs? I have one 3.0 and lots of 2.0s - is that better than 2x2.0? - this is what I have now and I don't seem to have any problems since the firmware update. If one 3.0 is better, which plug should I put in the 3.0 if it matters?

The reply to this is already in the first post of this thread.

As for which solution is better the answer is it depends: some motherboards work better with 1x3.0 others work better with 2x2.0 USB ports. Make some tests on your motherboard and see which works better. Normally you'd go for 1 USB 3.0 port only since it leaves another USB port open on your motherboard, but if you're not concerned about it then it doesn't really matter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question: Got a k70 rgb. works perfectly while plugged into a usb 3. No problem, right? Well not for me. It should work usb 2 and it doesn't. When I plug it into usb 2, as recommended, double arrow power plug first, then keyboard plug, it seems to work but Windows comes up with unrecognized device. I know, I know, just leave it in the usb 3 and be happy but I'm kinda OCD when it comes to the computer. Don't like having that extra cord dangling.

Questuion 1: why isn't it recognized in usb 2? thinking it might be a mobo option, the rampage V has so dam many.

Question 2: someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, What harm would it do to plug both plugs into 2 usb 3 sockets. too much current?, 2nd won't be used. Just curious

With USB 3 one port is enough for the current needed, plugging both cords into USB 3.0 might cause errors since it receives much more current than it needs (double). Personally I would prefer to have 1 free USB port I can use for other things too.

That said it really depends on the motherboard, on the chipset it uses (asmedia, etc) and so on. Some motherboards work with either 3.0 or 2.0, others only 3.0 and others again only 2.0. Since you already know it works with only 1 3.0 port I would just use that and be done with it.

I understand where you're coming from since I'm kinda OCD myself but it's not worth the trouble if you ask me. If you still want to give it a try you'd have to check any USB ports related options in your BIOS. And also take a look at the devices list in windows.

Yeah, got it plugged in to single usb 3, bundled the 2nd connector to look neat. No Device manager errors on usb3, but with usb2, comes up with unknown device. Think that second plug confuses the mobo. Kinda figured both in usb 3 might be too much.

USB space not an issue with this mobo though, 10 usb 3 plus 2 usb 2 on rear for total of 12, plus 2 usb 3.1. thru exp card. 4 usb3 on front plus 3 usb2.

USB overload. Only got a couple of usb 3 devices...lol

Thanks for reply

• Administrators
Any evidence as to which connector one would likely use if using only one USB 3.0 port? While I'm sure I can [and will] try, I'd be interested to know what others have found.

The OP covers this:

Connecting via USB 3.0

Use one connector (the one with the keyboard icon) when connecting via USB 3.0

Connecting via USB 3.0

Use one connector (the one with the keyboard icon) when connecting via USB 3.0

Connecting via USB 2.0

Use both connectors when using USB 2.0. Important Note: Plug in the connector with the two arrows icon first, and the connector with the keyboard icon second.

-----

This is correct?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have a strange problem on windows 10, when i use both usb from my k95 rgb on a 2 usb 2.0 that usb with arrows is not recornized by windows and every 5 seconds windows telling me that with a iritating sound .... (the keyboard works fine even if the windows cant recirnize the usb)

When connecting to a usb 3.0 i dont have this problem becouse i dont need the other cable

• 5 weeks later...

OK @ so im not the only one with the UNKNOWN DEVICE ERROR 43! because that also only happens in USB 2.0

with Mobo g1.sniper.b5 from gigabyte.

so what im understanding that its just doesnt work in usb 2.0? also im a person that want to use 2.0 ports. but in this case i have to use 3.0? or is there a workaround for it?

• 1 month later...

Just got my Corsair Strafe RGB and I have a question regarding its USB Connection Requirement.

I plugged in one connector with the keyboard icon in a USB 3.0 port as stated.

Keyboard worked like normal, but when I tried to plug in my Cloud 2 Headset to the USB passthrough on the Keyboard I cant seem to get my PC to recognize my headset device since the Instructions said to plug in only one connector when using USB 3.0

I tried plugging in the second connector to another USB 3.0 (since I'm currently out of USB 2.0 ports) and my headset got recognized by my PC and works great now.

So I wanted to know if my keyboard can stay connected to two USB 3.0 ports... is this safe?

I freed up two USB 2.0 ports temporarily for my keyboard and settled in using these right now.

I'm really looking forward to know if its safe to use two USB 3.0 ports for this?

Just got my Corsair Strafe RGB and I have a question regarding its USB Connection Requirement.

Keyboard worked like normal, but when I tried to plug in my Cloud 2 Headset to the USB passthrough on the Keyboard I cant seem to get my PC to recognize my headset device since the Instructions said to plug in only one connector when using USB 3.0

I tried plugging in the second connector to another USB 3.0 (since I'm currently out of USB 2.0 ports) and my headset got recognized by my PC and works great now.

So I wanted to know if my keyboard can stay connected to two USB 3.0 ports... is this safe?

I freed up two USB 2.0 ports temporarily for my keyboard and settled in using these right now.

I'm really looking forward to know if its safe to use two USB 3.0 ports for this?

Its fine to use two USB 3.0 ports. nothing bad will happen. Its best if you plug both of them in to the 3.0 ports but it really doesnt matter.

The Strafe RGB has only 1 USB connector for the lights and the other one is for the USB passthrough, unlike the K65/70/95 RGB that do NOT have a passthrough but require instead 2 USB connectors for the lights alone.

So yes, you need to plug in both for the headset to work.

Its fine to use two USB 3.0 ports. nothing bad will happen. Its best if you plug both of them in to the 3.0 ports but it really doesnt matter.

Thank you so much. I finally got every port where they should be. Apologies for being so paranoid about this. :p:

The Strafe RGB has only 1 USB connector for the lights and the other one is for the USB passthrough, unlike the K65/70/95 RGB that do NOT have a passthrough but require instead 2 USB connectors for the lights alone.

So yes, you need to plug in both for the headset to work.

Thank you for clearing this part up!

Been trying to find usb pass through information it in the included 1 page folded leaflet quickstart guide, the software quickstart guide / software manual, and the FAQ's section that didnt have this information about the USB pass through, or there lack of usb pass through capability and made everything more confusing) Apologies It's my first Corsair peripheral. :laughing:

• 1 month later...
I literally reinstalled my AHCI controller and USB ports several times, wondering why windows kept saying one of my USB ports was failing. It turns out, plugging both cables of my K95 in USB 3.0 Ports was causing the problem and now I learn that you only need one cable for a 3.0 Port. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL? Also is this confirmed by Corsair? Yellowbeard is a employee of Corsair?

Archived