Corsair Community

Corsair RGB Keyboard USB Connection Requirements

Yellowbeard

Does it make a difference performance-wise if I put in both (e.g not crashing as much)?

On mine, when I had it plugged into 2 USB 2.0 ports, I had the LED's on it freeze up on me but the keyboard was still functional. After I set it up for just 1 USB 3.0 port, the problem went away. Haven't tried it yet on a KVM switch, I'm gonna see if direct power from a USB plug in an outlet does a better job then using 2 USB 2.0 ports does, but I'd personally recommend using the USB 3.0 port if you have one.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ive got the same issue, connected into usb 3.0 and keyboard frezzes after spamming caps. And i get the message "device malfunction".

This happened to me this morning. Turned on the puter and the keyboard (K95 rgb) immediately produced a rainbow wave (I did not set up). It was pretty, but the keyboard didn't work.

I had to use the on screen keyboard to log in. CUE showed first a malfunction, instructing me to firmware update (it's already been done). Then CUE became unresponsive. Keyboard disappeared from CUE. Mouse (M65) still recognized, but lights went out.

Rebooted, and all was "normal" again. I've had some other issues which were still present but the software found the hardware as usual. USB 3 as well.

Just an update for those having issues with USB3.0.

I use an Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe motherboard with Inel chipset and ASmedia USB3.0 controllers on board.

When K70 is connected to the ASmedia USB port, I cannot upgrade firmware and I usually end up with keyboard malfunction.

When I connect it to the Intel USB3.0, all is well.

Just an update for those having issues with USB3.0.

I use an Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe motherboard with Inel chipset and ASmedia USB3.0 controllers on board.

When K70 is connected to the ASmedia USB port, I cannot upgrade firmware and I usually end up with keyboard malfunction.

When I connect it to the Intel USB3.0, all is well.

I have wondered about situations like this. That is why I keep asking people to put more info in the keyboard posts and to also fill in their dropdown menu with their system specs.

Rep'd for a great post ::pirate::

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just tried to spam cap lock (connection via USB 3.0) and it freezes after like 20-ish seconds.

Same here. USB 3 & 100% reproducible for me. I've got a K95 RGB running 1.15 firmware and 1.2.77 CUE

It just seems to be on the keys CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK & SCROLL LOCK. No other "normal" key I've tried has the problem. Spam the key, after several seconds the keyboard locks up.

Also if you turn off Type Lighting (I have multi-key enabled), the issue doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few problems with my new K65 RGB, didn't seem to like the USB3 consistently, but did update firmware ok.

I have now updated the MB bios as it had a few USB compatibility improvements in later versions, and also the ASMedia 1042 drivers, it bugged out a bit as the drivers updated, but reset the default keyboard profile and it seem good so far.

ASMedia 1042 USB3 with just keyboard cable connected.

Same here. I have some issues with my k70 RGB (last firmware and CUE):

1. I have a longer booting time (+15-30sec)

2. I have a longer shutting down time (more exactly the fans and LEDs shut-down within ~5-10 seconds after the screen is off and the HDDs stop)

3. In windows I get Unknown USB Device (Device Description Request Failed) in Device Manager and sometimes the keyboard stops responding (LEDs will freeze) and i'll have to restart my PC (90% of the time the keyboard works perfectly but .... this are some strange errors)

For the record I have an Windows 8.1 64bit on an Intel machine with Asus Maximum VII Hero as a motherboard.

It has been a lot better, as far as device recognition goes after updating the bios and asmedia drivers (I am assuming the latest bios should have the latest asmedia firmware embedded in it also).

However the lighting freezing up has been very apparent, normally an unplug/ replug of the USB cable fixes it and I don't seem to have much of a problem after that, but it does happen every time I use the computer. Works fine without the CUE software installed, but that kinda removes too much functionality.

I changed a couple of settings in the motherboard bios,

Asmedia USB3 battery charging -> enabled

USB boot -> Full Initialization

I reinstalled the latest version of CUE v1.3.70 and "so far" it ran fine, no lighting freezes/ lockups, even played round with profiles and some gaming and that's the first session that I have had problem free :)

Will update if anything changes.

Update#1: was working fine again today, but I did manage to bug it out with the Caps lock key. must be something to do with turning the led on and off that conflicts with any lighting effect, but it is random so must be a timing thing.

Anyway, now testing on Intel USB2 with power cable in ASM3. Seems fine with Caps key so far, but will test over a few sessions.

Update#2: worked ok for 3 days, but did get a freeze today, easiest way to get it working again is to move the polling rate switch to 2, then back to 1 again. Seems to cause a rest when the switch is moved, resetting the keyboard. Quick fix, but looks like it does need a firmware or software fix.

• 2 weeks later...
Same here. I have some issues with my k70 RGB (last firmware and CUE):

1. I have a longer booting time (+15-30sec)

2. I have a longer shutting down time (more exactly the fans and LEDs shut-down within ~5-10 seconds after the screen is off and the HDDs stop)

3. In windows I get Unknown USB Device (Device Description Request Failed) in Device Manager and sometimes the keyboard stops responding (LEDs will freeze) and i'll have to restart my PC (90% of the time the keyboard works perfectly but .... this are some strange errors)

For the record I have an Windows 8.1 64bit on an Intel machine with Asus Maximum VII Hero as a motherboard.

Have you found a fix for this? I have the same MOBO and Windows 8.1 Professional, and have the same issue you do.

• 2 weeks later...

The replugging does not work for most people.

The best way to make sure it works 100% of the time is to boot up and head over to uninstaller to uninstall the corsair utility(because after boot it never detects the keyboard for me). Trust me I have spent days trying to get this product to work as intended. Then just reinstall the corsair utility and it will detect the keyboard. Then load the profiles you want to display till next reboot.

Working fine with ASRock Z97 EXTREME6. Plugged into single USB 3.0 port. Had to re-install Windows to get CUE working, though; the entire computer froze when the installer tried to install the drivers.

The replugging does not work for most people.

The best way to make sure it works 100% of the time is to boot up and head over to uninstaller to uninstall the corsair utility(because after boot it never detects the keyboard for me). Trust me I have spent days trying to get this product to work as intended. Then just reinstall the corsair utility and it will detect the keyboard. Then load the profiles you want to display till next reboot.

Replugging working fine here. I don't have to do anything special to get it to work. Haven't had any issues with CUE since I reinstalled Windows, either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I have the Corsair Gaming k70 Rgb Model 68.

I was using it in a laptop with usb 2.0 with no issues.

Moved to a MSI GT72 with only USB 3.0 and it only works with both cables plugged in.

And now I have the freezing issue when spamming the lock keys.

Using Windows 8.1 64bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I found helps at least with my setup is to put Full USB Initialization at Boot.

But for some reason I still randomly get a keyboard error from time to time. I'm using 2.0 ports on my Asus ROG Hero Z97 board.

I have the keyboard in the Asus KeyBot USB port and the only other 2.0 port. But I believe I've had the same issue when I'm running the board on the 3.0 w/out the power cable.

Working fine with ASRock Z97 EXTREME6. Plugged into single USB 3.0 port. Had to re-install Windows to get CUE working, though; the entire computer froze when the installer tried to install the drivers.

Replugging working fine here. I don't have to do anything special to get it to work. Haven't had any issues with CUE since I reinstalled Windows, either.

Yeah, Im going to wipe my desktop and build my system from the ground up. I think there are ghosts on my machine its been in use without a good wipe for 3 years now. A good wipe, fully updated version of windows should help matters me thinks. May give it a go this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Still having issues, tried everything, but my keyboard still freezes AT FIRST; it only freezes when spamming tab and lock keys, but now when it freezes and I plug and unplug it; IT AUTOMATICALLY FREEZES. I've had this problem for a very long time already. Already sent a ticket, but they said I need to wait for a firmware update; but they didn't give me any timetable for the update.

Still having issues, tried everything, but my keyboard still freezes AT FIRST; it only freezes when spamming tab and lock keys, but now when it freezes and I plug and unplug it; IT AUTOMATICALLY FREEZES. I've had this problem for a very long time already. Already sent a ticket, but they said I need to wait for a firmware update; but they didn't give me any timetable for the update.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472 try the tips here,

I have no official timetable for public release of a fix but it is in the works rn. so should be soon.

Archived