Corsair Community

Bad XMS3500C2 :(

Hi there ... first time here (I hoped no ... =)

Have two CMX512-3500C2 (v1.1) modules, problems happened (errors on windows loading ... freezes ...).

After some testing, I discovered that the problem is located in one of the two modules ... it gives me 183 errors on Memtest (test 5) in the first batch, and 280 (always test 5) in the second :\

Timings are 217mhz, 2-3-3-7 on DFI Nforce3-250.

Have tried also on another board (Asus Nforce2) ... same thing (no surprise though ...).

The other one (alone) works pretty good (have it up in this moment ...).

Damn don't tell me I have to split the "twins" :(

Moreover this type of chips (Winbond bh5) aren't done anymore ... so basically it's the end of the 1Gb set :| right ?

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CMX512-3500C2

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command Per Clock: 1T

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Genie BIOS

Clock Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

DRAM Voltage 2.75 volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Ok I'll do this test.

But let's suppose it will work ... I don't understand why should I think 3500Cas2 memory good when they are actually underclocked at 3200Cas2,5.

I could have bought Vdata memory for 1/5 of the money then !

I'll let you know anyway.

• Corsair Employee
Both memory and CPU are recommended to always run synchronous; by setting the memory module at 200 MHz (if the setting is 133/166/200) or 400 MHz (if the setting is 266/333/400), will eventually change as soon as you changed the CPU FSB speed. In order for you to run the 3500 modules at it's rated speed which is 433MHz; then you will have to run your CPU at a 217MHz clock, and this will automatically change the memory frequency if set at 200 or 400 (depending on your MB BIOS settings.)

Ok done the test with:

DRAM Frequency Set: 200mhz

Command Per Clock: 1T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

DRAM Voltage 2.75 volts (actually 2.78)

Used Memtest ... about 1 hour and no errors.

Tested the bank alone, without the other one together.

Don't tell me this means the bank is good ... because its standard should be 217mhz and Cas2 (2-3-3-7) and not 200mhz and Cas2.5 (2,5-3-3-7).

In the first case, it doesn't work even with 2.9v (test 5 failed, only after a couple of minutes).

The other one (identical) works fine with 217mhz with 2-3-3-7 ...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived