Corsair Community

High startup sound, H80i

ZeeRuX

Hi. I have this excellent cooler, Hydro Series™ H80i but my computer is set to startup every morning early at 05.45 am but whenever it starts it seems like the fans are running full speed for like 20-30 seconds and this is very annoying since the sound is terrible. Is there any settings I can change? Only thing I find on my Asus V Gene mainboard is cpu level and that setting is set to silent.

Mine is the same, probably some kind of self test that spins the fans up to full speed, you

could always change the fans to sp120 quiet editions or similar and you won't here the fans

at all, I did this and the idle temp when up by a couple of degrees from 26 to 28 but I think

the temp difference gap would widen the more strain you put on your cpu.

Mine is the same, probably some kind of self test, you could always change the fans to

sp120 quiet editions or similar and you won't here the fans at all, I did this and the idle

temp when up by a couple of degrees from 26 to 28 but I think the temp difference gap

would widen the more strain you put on your cpu.

Ok, but do you mean when the computer starts up or in Windows? Cause its only when I startup the computer, 20-30 sec then its quiet as hell.

its the startup sound I wanna get rid off, you ment that I just change fans to other fans? that is no option =/

Ok, but do you mean when the computer starts up or in Windows? Cause its only when I startup the computer, 20-30 sec then its quiet as hell.

its the startup sound I wanna get rid off, you ment that I just change fans to other fans? that is no option =/

Just when it starts up same as yours.

PWM fans, by design, start up at 100% and then lower to whatever setting they are programmed to run at when the setting is sent to them from the computer. The reason for this is because the fans do not have any kind of on-board memory setting to start them at any particular RPM, so they default to 100% until they receive an instruction to change (which happens once the PC reaches the point in it's boot-up sequence to send said instruction).

I never have an issue with the max RPM at system start on any of the two H80i's and the H100i. It doesn't sound "terrible" at all. It's a strong whoosh that lets me know that the system is going through its self test and is working properly. It's a Good Thing. When I don't hear it is when it sounds "terrible". To each his/her own....

I never have an issue with the max RPM at system start on any of the two H80i's and the H100i. It doesn't sound "terrible" at all. It's a strong whoosh that lets me know that the system is going through its self test and is working properly. It's a Good Thing. When I don't hear it is when it sounds "terrible". To each his/her own....

Did you actually read my problem? Please do that again if not. Im glad for all responses but since no one actually got an answer I will stick to having my computer always on. I understand that its a selftest, my question was if there is something to do, besides changing the fans. If someone dont understand (still) why the powerup is a problem, its cause my wife is sleeping and she wakes when the computer automaticlly starts up. The computer starts at this time cause I always sit a while at the computer before work or even see a bit on a movie etc.

Forgive me misreading.

Nothing can be done with it, unless: you disconnect fans from water block's header and connect them to standard motherboard CPU FAN pins (or to some fan controller). Other then that, no. Or you can buy silent edition fans. They run @100% and you barely hear them.

Did you actually read my problem? Please do that again if not.

[sigh] Yes, I read your problem. Now that you have fully stated it, we can see the actual issue at hand. Thanks for finally clarifying. :\

In this case, put the two radiator fan cables on motherboard headers other than CPU_FAN. That header needs to have the tach lead from the pump, so that the BIOS knows that the pump is running and can shut toe system down if not.

In general, the fan RPM doesn't make a huge difference in cooling capacity of a big radiator. As long as they're running, the radiator will transfer its energy to the air. Still, you can usually set motherboard fan headers to sense CPU load/temp and thereby adjust their RPM. This combination will probably be your best solution. Just keep an eye on the water and CPU temperatures when you try this. Note the stock setup temps under different loads before moving the cables to other headers. Then see how the temps compare after the switch.

Archived