Corsair Community

PSU Issues/Questions

papagrizz

Hi everyone, just joined to see if I could potentially get some help/answers to my issues.

Issue: About a week ago my computer started randomly powering off. After rebooting itself, a message appears saying "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!" This has happened a dozen or so times. There does not seem to be any pattern as to why it happens. It'll crash twice in 30 minutes while Im browsing facebook, but then run for 2 hours playing online games with no issues.

Background: My build is listed below:

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset)

System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)

Power Supply: 600W Corsair GS

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card(s): 1x AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (High Performance Cooler)

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

As you can see I have a 600 watt GS power supply. This build is only 2 years old this week. I have taken good care of it, never leave the computer on while Im not using it, and have it puled into a heavy duty surge protector. I find it hard to believe that the expected lifetime of a PSU is only 2 years. Something must have gone wrong in my unit?

I've placed a support ticket with Corsair but also wanted to post here for potential answers. Would my PSU be covered by Corsair Warranty? Is there a test to run to determine if the unit is actually starting to degrade? What are potential solutions to my issue?

I've read online that a lot of other people have been getting the "ASUS anti-surge" error as well. There seems to be a number that relate this to an issue with the BIOS? (please forgive me, Im a noob when it comes to computer stuff. I only know how to install and play games and run excel)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Corsair Employees

It's not the power supply.

If the PC turns off for ANY reason that is NOT triggered by the PSU, that error message will come up because the PSU was still trying to supply power to the board after the board had already shut down. Therefore, it's misinterpreted as a "power surge".

First thing: Go into advanced system settings, startup and recovery, and make sure that "automatically restart" is UNCHECKED.

Archived