Corsair Community

Is my CX600M Faulty?

Flyingmonkey85

I just bought an r9 290 and a CX600M to upgrade my old computer system. When I plug in the card and connectors and try to boot up, I get no POST and all my fans blow at full speed. If I run the card without the power connectors just off the motherboard, the computer starts up with the fans on their normal setting (as I can hear the windows logon sound via the speakers), but obviously there is no graphical output. The included wattage on the 12V rail should be more than enough to drive the r9 290; do you think that there is an issue with the gpu or an issue with psu? (More information can be found here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/214224-fans-spin-no-post-lenovo-k330-prebuilt-with-cx600m-and-r9-290/

Thanks for your time!

• Corsair Employees

The CX600M has more than enough power for an R9 290.

Troubleshoot: It's hard to narrow down a problem when replacing multiple parts. Pull the graphics card. Use the i7's integrated graphics. If it works, then you might have a bad graphics card.

The CX600M has more than enough power for an R9 290.

Troubleshoot: It's hard to narrow down a problem when replacing multiple parts. Pull the graphics card. Use the i7's integrated graphics. If it works, then you might have a bad graphics card.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The max power draw of the card is advertised to be around 300W, making the CX600M more than apt. Unfortunately, my motherboard does not have any integrated graphics options, so I can't use an iGPU to check if the current GPU is faulty. I do have my older GPU however (HD 7750) that works totally fine on the psu, but that gpu requires no PCIE power connectors; all power is drawn from the MOBO.

• Corsair Employees

If the PC works otherwise, I doubt it's the PSU because it's clearly delivering power to other parts of the PC.

If the problem is the PSU, the only thing it can be is either the PCIe connector or cable. You have multiple PCIe cables w/ that PSU and you can plug it into more than one modular connector.

If the PC works otherwise, I doubt it's the PSU because it's clearly delivering power to other parts of the PC.

If the problem is the PSU, the only thing it can be is either the PCIe connector or cable. You have multiple PCIe cables w/ that PSU and you can plug it into more than one modular connector.

The only thing that led me to believe that it was a PSU problem was that I can boot up the computer just fine (albeit with no video output) without the power connectors plugged in, but when the power connectors were plugged in I would have the fan issue. I'm fairly inexperienced in these matters though, so I don't really know whether this could have anything to do with the PSU at all.

Could you elaborate on "You have multiple PCIe cables w/ that PSU and you can plug it into more than one modular connector" ? I thought that I was only supposed to connect the graphics card to the 12V 8-Pin Rail?

• Corsair Employees

Ah.. that's right. There's only the one modular 8-pin PCIe connector on the PSU. Forgot about that.

The reason the PC boots up (albeit without video) when you unplug the power is because the PC is trying to boot up with the iGPU, but since you don't have a VGA output on your motherboard, you're not going to see anything.

Ah.. that's right. There's only the one modular 8-pin PCIe connector on the PSU. Forgot about that.

The reason the PC boots up (albeit without video) when you unplug the power is because the PC is trying to boot up with the iGPU, but since you don't have a VGA output on your motherboard, you're not going to see anything.

Alright, thanks for the help! I'll try going to a local computer store to see if they can check whether my graphics card is working. I don't have any tech savvy friends with gaming computers that I can ask to try out my card :'D

Archived