Corsair Community

AX860 on APC BackUPS PRO BR1500, non pure sinewave

sblantipodi

I've heard a lot of complaints about coil whine in AX860 as well as other Seasonic built units, but not so much with the AX860i. Certainly mine doesn't make any noise.

I don't want to risk and I'm not interested in a product that doesn't have a good QC, I will buy the Enermax Platimax I think, never had this problem with an Enermax.

• Corsair Employees

Are you talking about AX860 or AX860i? You're going back and forth. They're two different units that are very different from one another. I just told you that the AX860i doesn't tend to have that issue. They're made by Flextronics. Certainly you can't be implying that CWT/Enermax QC is better than Flextronics.

Besides, coil whine is not exactly a QC issue. ALL magnetics resonate at different frequencies. Unfortunately, some of those frequencies are audible. If you look inside an AXi, for example, you'll see that Flex uses A LOT of caulk. A lot of times that is the only solution. Not using enough caulk on a component that's likely to create an audible noise regardless is hardly a QC issue.

Are you talking about AX860 or AX860i? You're going back and forth. They're two different units that are very different from one another. I just told you that the AX860i doesn't tend to have that issue. They're made by Flextronics. Certainly you can't be implying that CWT/Enermax QC is better than Flextronics.

Besides, coil whine is not exactly a QC issue. ALL magnetics resonate at different frequencies. Unfortunately, some of those frequencies are audible. If you look inside an AXi, for example, you'll see that Flex uses A LOT of caulk. A lot of times that is the only solution. Not using enough caulk on a component that's likely to create an audible noise regardless is hardly a QC issue.

Sometimes I write AX860 but I always meant AX860i

• Corsair Employees
Take into consideration the volume of products on the market as well. I don't know exactly how many units Enermax moves, but when ever we get a report of top five or ten sellers at a particular retailer, Corsair's always top two or three while Enermax isn't even on the list.

• Corsair Employees
Sometimes I write AX860 but I always meant AX860i

Well, when >> I << typed AX860, I meant AX860 and when I typed AX860i, I meant AX860i. So when I said that coil whine in the AX860 is not indicitive of the AX860i, that is what I meant.

Well, when >> I << typed AX860, I meant AX860 and when I typed AX860i, I meant AX860i. So when I said that coil whine in the AX860 is not indicitive of the AX860i, that is what I meant.

Ok, I will probably give a chance to the AX860i, in case of coil whine, I will ask for a refund to the internet shop for another brand.

Thanks!

I'm always glad to learn from people that is more informed than me.

Can you explain why is both incorrect and illogical?

Search on the internet for Enermax coil whine, you get zero results,

do the same for AX860i.

Am I wrong?

think you need to learn how to use google, plenty of people with enermax complaining.

all psu's have the ability to produce coil whine.

its not limited to just one or two manufacturers.

possibly the reason your seeing more from corsair is the stupid high number they sell.

think you need to learn how to use google, plenty of people with Enermax complaining.

all psu's have the ability to produce coil whine.

its not limited to just one or two manufacturers.

possibly the reason your seeing more from corsair is the stupid high number they sell.

bought the corsair AX860i, as I saied, if it will whine, I will switch it.

is corsair replacing the whining units under warranty?

I suggest you to go and write a ticket warranty question or an RMA ticket with your problem and question. I have run my AX860i for 5 months now, and the only noise I hear is when, once a month, I use the Link to move the fan from its normal zero rpm up to 100% , just to see it still works, and it always does!

• 4 months later...
I've got the same UPS and I use an AX860i. No issues.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I had exactly the same question, which is answered here, to the point where I was considering buying a CyberPower sine wave UPS. I recently purchased an AX860i which failed after 3 months of use (loud pop - capacitor blown?). The PSU is being replaced under RMA but after reading about APFC etc. and non-sine wave UPS units I wondered if I should be concerned as I use the same UPS.

Presumably the 900W/1500VA rating of this unit can cope with the rating of the AX860i as I found an APC tech document referring to considerations for APFC power supplies. This suggested that a UPS should be able to handle the nominal rating of the PSU divided by the power factor i.e. for the AX860i greater than the UPS capacity. They explicitly stated that the actual load should not be used in the calculation. The reasoning appeared to be because of the in-rush current when switching to battery if the PSU hold-up reserve is nearly depleted depending on the time taken to switch over. I'm not an electronics expert so while this sounds plausible does it make sense technically to those who properly understand?

I'd appreciate a reply from jonny if possible as I intend to buy another one of these PSUs for another build and have a second APS BackUPS to go with it. As I've been unlucky to have a PSU failure so quickly (for unrelated reasons I hope) I just wanted to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong!

Thanks

Many thanks for the confirmation. I've now found lots of replies to similar questions over the last few years on these forums and the advice seems to originally have been that Corsair recommended sine wave output UPS, but more recently that non-pure sine wave UPS are ok to use as well.

Of course the UPS manufacturers may overstate the issue if it means more sales of pure sine wave units. As a consumer without a background in electronics it can be hard to tell!

I can put up with some noise when the UPS is on battery as it's only there to allow an orderly shutdown of my PC in the case of a power outage (plus AVR). My only concern was potential damage to the PSU if stressed by a non-pure sine wave input. If for some reason it just doesn't work I'll consider buying another UPS although I've had no problems myself with the BackUp UPS Pro 1500 and an older HX850 for the 3 years I've owned these.

• Corsair Employees

There are a lot of variables. Input voltage and load at the time the UPS has to switch over to battery power. What could potentially happen is that the input caps get too high of a voltage and that causes a primary cap failure.

Was this the problem you experienced? Can't say for sure. The pop could have been anything (FET's "pop" when they die, could have been a cap on the secondary side, etc.). A failure analysis would've been a good thing to do, but if you've already RMA'd the PSU, it may be too late. Of course, if you want to PM me your RMA #, I can see if I can have someone in technical support tag the PSU for failure analysis.

Thanks for the offer to check the RMA - unfortunately I chose to send direct to the vendor (Scan UK) so I guess I won't know the Corsair RMA number unless Scan can advise?

I'm not assuming that my PSU failure and use a non-sine wave PSU are connected though, it was just something that occurred to me after reading other posts on the forum. What actually happened was this:

(1) Away from the PC for 5 mins or so while it was just idling. Loud pop heard from the room and circuit breaker on the mains circuit the PC was connected to tripped.

(2) On returning to the PC my APC UPS alarm was on and a fault code F02 was displayed (battery short or overload).

(3) Disconnected and switched off everything, reset the mains circuit breaker and also found that the fuse in the 13A mains plug for UPS had blown as well.

(4) Removed the PSU from the PC for safety and then connected it back to the mains to test as I thought at that point the UPS might have been the problem. On switching the PSU on there was another loud pop, fuse and circuit breaker tripped again and this time the PSU switch was jammed in the 'on' position and would only spring back from 'off'.

I found after installing an older HX850 into my PC that all my PC components appear to be ok and the UPS was also working fine again after a power cycle.

I don't know if this information gives any more clues as to what might have happened as it probably won't be possible to track the return. I can also say that I do occasionally test my UPS just to check it switches onto battery but at the time I last tested the PSU was only on standby. I didn't hear any noise from the PSU or notice any other problem at the time.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for the offer to check the RMA - unfortunately I chose to send direct to the vendor (Scan UK) so I guess I won't know the Corsair RMA number unless Scan can advise?

Nope. Essentially everything gets thrown on a skid and is all shipped back in one shot. So that PSU is pretty much.... gone.

I'm not assuming that my PSU failure and use a non-sine wave PSU are connected though, it was just something that occurred to me after reading other posts on the forum. What actually happened was this:

(1) Away from the PC for 5 mins or so while it was just idling. Loud pop heard from the room and circuit breaker on the mains circuit the PC was connected to tripped.

(2) On returning to the PC my APC UPS alarm was on and a fault code F02 was displayed (battery short or overload).

(3) Disconnected and switched off everything, reset the mains circuit breaker and also found that the fuse in the 13A mains plug for UPS had blown as well.

(4) Removed the PSU from the PC for safety and then connected it back to the mains to test as I thought at that point the UPS might have been the problem. On switching the PSU on there was another loud pop, fuse and circuit breaker tripped again and this time the PSU switch was jammed in the 'on' position and would only spring back from 'off'.

I found after installing an older HX850 into my PC that all my PC components appear to be ok and the UPS was also working fine again after a power cycle.

I don't know if this information gives any more clues as to what might have happened as it probably won't be possible to track the return. I can also say that I do occasionally test my UPS just to check it switches onto battery but at the time I last tested the PSU was only on standby. I didn't hear any noise from the PSU or notice any other problem at the time.

Yeah. Doesn't sound like a failure from the UPS. Doubt the pop was actually the primary cap given what you're describing.

Archived