Corsair Community

Setup for H100i on x99 motherboard

MrDahl

Hey guys, let me start off by telling you that im a novice at building my own computers. And thats why i've come across a couple of situations, where im not sure what solution is the best for my build - including; What Fan-Pins do I use? Where to place my fans?

My build is:

Intel i7-5820K

x99-Deluxe

Vengeance DDR4-2800mHz

Hydro H100i

Cooler Master V550S

Obsidan 550D Midi Tower

GeForce GTX 780

Samsung SSD

2 x Corsair SP120 High Pre. Edt.120mm Fans

Fans in total:

2 x build in fans front of the 550D

1 x build in fan in the rear

1 x working fan from the H100i (2700 RPM)

2 x SP120 Fans (2350 RPM)

1. Airflow / Fan Location

The Corsair Obsidan 550D Midi Tower looks like this:

http://techdadreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/400R-airflow.png

I needed to setup the H100i inside the top of the tower, which resulted in having the two fans mounted to the radiator in the case:

(Air --> Case --> Radiator --> Fans --> Internal )

And thats where I came to my first situation: Should it be Exhaust or Intake?

Intake / Exhaust:

In my build i've got:

2 x Intake fans infront

1 x Exhaust at rear

3 x Fans that I need to setup properly (2 of them should be mounted onto the radiator)

What is the best solution? Is it to make a fan intake at the bottom of the case and the two on the radiator as exhaust?

2. What pin to select on x99 motherboard?

On the x99 there is a possibility of having 6 fans, and the names on the pins are as fallow:

CPU_FAN

CPU_OPT

CHA_FAN1 ,..., CHA_FAN4

EXT_FAN (For the extra fan card)

From the H100i there is a cable from the pump to the PSU, that has a Fan input aswell. Should this go into CPU_FAN ? or can I just put everything in random fan locations on the motherboard?

I hope it wasent to much of a read, but im really interested in learning more about my newly found love :laughing:

Thanks again for helping - I appreciate it!

having the rad at the top to me is the best solution, heat rises so exhaust.

the rest of your fans look good.

use the cpu_fan header for the h100, rest can be random

So I should exhaust through the rad? I've read somewhere that its not the best solution.

You mean the two top fans should go into the h100i pump ? with the split cable provided in the package?

I had the H100I 2-fan original setup and installed it logically to outflow through the case top. However, maybe because my house is air-conditioned and temp controlled, I found that reversing all that and using the fans to inflow, the CPU temp that was always around 40C is now constantly in the lower 30's. I also found the H100 fans to be the biggest noise factor in my case, so I replaced them with 2 pairs of SP120 fans and I don't hear them. Now if I could quiet that pesky AirFlow Pro fan!

Monitor your temps and try it both ways. Just be careful, It is just about 12 screws and a juggling act to mount the fans pointing the same way with the radiator movement restricted by the hoses and not banging the radiator into something expensive (like everything else in the case). I did it twice just to be sure for my set up.

I too played around with intake vs exhaust with the h100i in an 750d case and found intake gave me better cooling temps by about 5 degrees. 35c to 30 even occasionally gets to 28c idle.

I played with this twice, and found intake is best option for cooling. The fact that heat rises has nothing to do with anything really as long as you have the rear exhausting. You want the coolest air blown over the radiator.

I too played around with intake vs exhaust with the h100i in an 750d case and found intake gave me better cooling temps by about 5 degrees. 35c to 30 even occasionally gets to 28c idle.

I played with this twice, and found intake is best option for cooling. The fact that heat rises has nothing to do with anything really as long as you have the rear exhausting. You want the coolest air blown over the radiator.

yes you want the coolest air possible.

but what your doing is actually heating up everything else in the case.

the whole point is to remove heat from the system, not put it back in.

i have my fans mounted between the rad and case, makes cleaning dust or whatever from the fins easy.

I would reverse the case-side-mounted "exhaust" fan and use it as an "intake". Otherwise negative air-pressure may become a problem. Also, this would bring in extra cool air for the H100i to utilize.

Other than that, exhausting the air out from the H100i works just fine.

yes you want the coolest air possible.

but what your doing is actually heating up everything else in the case.

the whole point is to remove heat from the system, not put it back in.

i have my fans mounted between the rad and case, makes cleaning dust or whatever from the fins easy.

I've heard similar things however I have not seen a difference according to any of the temp sensors on hardware. The Motherboard temps are about the same. Maybe a degree higher but nothing really different than before. Its hard to gauge because the MB temp will vary but its in range and similar as it was with exhaust. Also my GPU hasnt changed much either. A quick look and its at 36c granted its throttled down right now and not doing much except accelerating a flash video right now. When its under load gaming its 50c-60c.

My CPU is idling at 33c, Motherboard temp is 30c-36c, and 6 HDDs all around 38c-41c which is exactly where they were before i switched to intake. This is in an air conditioned room.

I'm not sure what you mean by putting heat back in. I get the concept of exhausting heat but the air outside my case is cooler than inside. If I exhaust air out the h100i, out the top of the case, there is warm air outside the top of the case. However If i intake the h100i, there is nothing but cool air outside my case above the h100i, and its blowing cool air into the case. You can feel it on both sides (outside and inside). The only warm air outside my case, is towards the back near the wall where air exhausts out. I also one bottom intake fan as well. So I'm pretty sure I'm not "putting heat back in", as the temps say otherwise. If anything its blowing air in, and out through the back, while potentially cooling some of the hotter air inside the case directly under the h100i intake because its blowing cooler air in than it was exhausting out as an exhaust setup. This is reflected in improved cooling temps, and just by feeling the air with your hand. But of course exhausing air out would feel warmer to the touch but as an intake its cooler. Its brining cooler air in, so i'm not sure what "putting back" hot air into the system means. I can understand if it means the warm hair inside the case simply doesnt get to exhaust as fast so it warms internally, but i'm not bringing warm air into the system. I'm actually bringing cooler air which is combining with the internal air to cool it as the rear pulls air out. Again I dont see any negative effect on temps, only improved cpu cooling. So I think its sound evidence. I could very well be wrong but so far my temps support intake as being better in my situation at least. Of course this is with the 750d which has HORRIBLE front intake air flow. Its non existant with the front panel on due to its design.

I was pretty good about keeping track of numbers. I have screenshots of all the temp monitors as i tried various configurations. The only real temp changes were the cpu and cooler going down with intake. Nothing actually went up in temperature with the intake despite having read people mention similar concerns you mentioned about heating up other components. I factored that into my concerns as well but I dont see it in practice.

The only thing I can see is that everything has stayed the same while the cpu cooling has improved by about 5c and perhaps more in cooler seasons.

My system:

Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard

Intel 5960X Processor

Corsair H100i Cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz DDR-4

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB

Samsung EVO 1TB SSD

Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

(two) WD 1TB Black SATA-3

Corsair 760T Chassis

AeroCool Dead Silence 140mm chassis fans (two in the front)

I have the H100i at the top of the case. (wouldn't fit anywhere else with the short hoses, and the H80i wouldn't fit anywhere). I tried it as an intake and as an exhaust. I also have it now with four fans in push/pull (with Noctua and AeroCool Dead Silence fans). In any and all configurations I idle between 28-30c depending on room temp. No difference between any setup or even between two and four fans. With two fans in intake or exhaust my CPU goes up to 50c when running Prime 95 stress test. When running four fans in push/pull on the H100i I never get above 45c in Prime 95.

Archived