Corsair Community

USB Device Not Recognized

Dirtius

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about anyone else, but mine has completely resolved itself by unplugging the USB passthrough. Any profile I throw at it works just fine and I haven't had the stupid USB error since I made my last post.

Just a thought. What would be the ramifications of just leaving it like this? It works awesome as is.

I just got my k70 rgb today. I used it all day today at work and had no issues with it at all. On my home machine, I'm getting the same problems people in this thread are describing: Intermittent "USB Device Not Recognized" (even if it works fine for a bit,) the lighting stops working sometimes, etc. I've tried swapping the connections around a bit, trying to get the Keyboard line on the only USB 2.0 port I have, and the other on a different hub, for power's sake. (I've had issues with power before when I had a Razer SWtOR keyboard, I had to have it plugged into two separated ports, or it wouldn't pull enough power.)

As some others stated: when the Corsair Gaming Software is closed (or uninstalled, etc,) the lighting on the keyboard's firmware seems to work.

Oddly enough, I also have a Z87 chipset, as someone else pointed out as a similarity.

My k70 Firmware version is 1.10, bootloader 0.09. The status reports "works normally," until I close and then re-open the software. Then it says "Malfunction." The "Disable device lighting" checkbox does nothing when the keyboard gets upset. Once it's upset, changing profiles doesn't seem to change the lighting and such as well in this state.

I've attached my Advanced Report. (I tried the "View Logs" button, but it doesn't seem to do anything.) I also attached a second Advanced Report, for after the keyboard shows "Malfunction" on the device tab. (Notice it says "No Corsair Device Found.) When the device is in this state, a device is listed in the device manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've attached a screenshot of it: devmgmt.msc.png.

One other (possibly unrelated?) issue I've had is when I start up the software, I get an error trying to find an entry point in ssleay32.dll. I've attached a screenshot (corsair_hid_dll.png) of that as well.

Hope this helps the issues get tracked down, let me know if I can provide any further information!

Edit: After tinkering with ports again, and re-flashing the firmware (over USB 2.0) I have been able to get it to come back up for a bit of time. Will report again if it dies again.

Advanced Report.txt

Advanced Report - After Malfunction.txt

devmgmt_msc.png.1d95d9d9f237198d218d4da87cfb2001.png

corsair_hid_dll.png.1359816c0134cd621bc9a7748f8f17f2.png

I don't know if it's related, but it seems like every time I start up XBMC I get the malfunction (XBMC also stops responding at this point, if I unplug the keyboard XBMC suddenly starts responding again). Seems weird, but is it possibly a software conflict?

onorok I don't know about anyone else, but mine has completely resolved itself by unplugging the USB passthrough. Any profile I throw at it works just fine

Just did the same thing and the lighting patterns work. Everything seems to be fine at the moment and I don't imagine anything going wrong if I leave that cord out.

Edit: After tinkering with ports again, and re-flashing the firmware (over USB 2.0) I have been able to get it to come back up for a bit of time. Will report again if it dies again.

Ah, it seems unfortunately, my issue has returned. I'll try the unplugging of the extra cable as suggested in this thread.

Edit: It worked for a little while, but seems to suffer the same fate: Lighting gets stuck, etc.

Hello all! Just adding that I also have the Sabertooth Z87 motherboard and I am experiencing the issue. I've had the LED freezes and such and I've been able to fix those by unplugging the keyboard and replugging. On some occasions that has not remedied the problem and it has forced a full restart. I have not had the keyboard lose full functionality as far as typing is concerned; it seems the issue is specific to the LED functionality, at least in my case. When the LEDs freeze, I receive the "Device Malfunctioning" message in the Corsair Gaming Software, and often times once this occurs I am unable to access the "Profile" button to try to reset the lighting effects. I also have been getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" message from my OS, though sometimes when I receive it the keyboard is still displaying LED effects correctly. I've switched the ports I have been using to power the keyboard around several times, but I've had no luck. I'll also add that on boot it seems that the keyboard takes a while to become functional. I can't access BIOS and once at the log-in screen it takes several seconds before it allows me to type my password. I will attach my Advanced Report for now to give information on the USB ports I use. I'll also upload a report after the device malfunctions once it happens again.

Thanks for looking into this.

advReportNoFreezing.txt

So on the sticky thread about USB connections, I followed the following recommendations:

USB 2.0:

Plug in the plug with the two arrows first, then the keyboard labeled plug.

USB 3.0:

Plug in only the plug with the keyboard label.

I found that striking the Caps-Lock key after doing either of these configurations causes the LED freeze. I don't know if it's exclusive to that case, because I doubt I've been accidentally hitting the lock key every time it has frozen up, but doing it in this fashion is repeatable.

To test if the problem was present on another system, I plugged the RGB K70 into my ASUS laptop after installing the Corsair Gaming Software. Only USB 3.0 ports were available on this laptop so I followed the instructions of plugging in only the keyboard labeled plug. The keyboard functioned properly and I created a basic wave effect to see if I could freeze it mid-wave by pressing caps-lock, but I was unsuccessful. I pressed a variety of different keys, seeing if any combinations resulted in freeze-ups, but I was unable to find any.

Just for kicks, I plugged in the second cable from the keyboard into the laptop and the "USB Device not Recognized" message appeared as it had on my desktop computer. I tested the different key combinations after seeing this message, but I was still not able to recreate the freezing. The laptop does not use the same chipset as my desktop, so this may provide further evidence for the issue being related to this particular motherboard.

Not sure if this helps identify the issue but I get the error message that the USB Device is not recognized ONLY when I plug in the power connection. If I unplug that the PC works just fine. I've currently got only the keyboard plug in a USB2.0 slot and it's working just fine.

I'd like to add that I've since updated to software version CUE 1.1.48 Firmware 1.12, and I'm still suffering the same issue. Spamming capslock does seem to be a reliable way to recreate the issue.

As well, the CUE 1.1.48 still generates the DLL error I included in an earlier post, as well as still seems to hang/crash sometimes after the keyboard goes into the 'malfunction' state.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I cannot get my Lenovo w520 to recognized the keyboard in the cue software. Device manager shows it correctly, but the keyboard isn't recognized and won't work. I only have 2 usb 3 ports and 1 usb 2 so I can't even try both in usb 2 ports because I only have one. I did try it in my docking station, but no luck there either.

Note, I tried the keyboard in my 2007 ASUS laptop and it worked perfectly. I updated the firmware hoping it would fix the keyboard for my Lenovo, but no luck.

Lenovo specs below.

::: USB Controller

Name : Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

Manufacturer : Renesas Electronics

Name : Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26

Manufacturer : Intel

Name : Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D

Manufacturer : Intel

• Corsair Employees

Hi all, I'd like all of you who experiences the issue to answer a few questions as we continue to look into this issue:

1.) What were you doing when it occurred?

2.) Was the keyboard displaying any animation before the malfunction occurred?

3.) System Specs

4.) Device Logs

Thanks!

Also - please make sure you have installed CUE v1.1.56 and firmware 1.13 first.

We are investigating two different kinds of errors. One is "usb device not recognized," which was where this thread started, and the other is a "device malfunction" error in the CUE software.

If you are still getting these issues, it will help us if you can provide as much detail as possible, including the logs that James suggested. We have struggled to make them happen on the systems we have in the lab, or on the systems our extended testing user base has.

Hi,

tried a clean install with the new cue software version, but the keyboard still doesn't work. Same error. I see it fine in device manager under HID, but the keyboard is still listed under other devices and has an error. When I installed cue on my old laptop, it recognized the keyboard as soon as it started. On my Lenovo w520, it does not, however when I reboot, the keyboard lights up.

I'm curious if everyone who is having this problem has windows 7 or 8. I may upgrade to 8 just to clean everything out and have 8 drivers. I really don't want to use 8 (was planning to skip it), however if people are having success with windows 8, I'll do the upgrade.

As for the log files, we still don't know what you need. In the support tab of the cue software, it shows "view logs", but nothing happens when I click it. Exactly which log files do you need?

• Corsair Employees
Hi,

tried a clean install with the new cue software version, but the keyboard still doesn't work. Same error. I see it fine in device manager under HID, but the keyboard is still listed under other devices and has an error. When I installed cue on my old laptop, it recognized the keyboard as soon as it started. On my Lenovo w520, it does not, however when I reboot, the keyboard lights up.

I'm curious if everyone who is having this problem has windows 7 or 8. I may upgrade to 8 just to clean everything out and have 8 drivers. I really don't want to use 8 (was planning to skip it), however if people are having success with windows 8, I'll do the upgrade.

As for the log files, we still don't know what you need. In the support tab of the cue software, it shows "view logs", but nothing happens when I click it. Exactly which log files do you need?

If you have the CUE software installed, you should be see a folder pop up in Windows Explorer with text documents. These are the logs that CUE generates when in use. They're usually labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, and tmp. We'd like these files from you on the machine giving you problems.

It sounds so far it may be system related with your issue. At the very least, the keyboard should show up properly in your device manager so I would also recommend investigating what the issue is with the Error (error code?).

If you have the CUE software installed, you should be see a folder pop up in Windows Explorer with text documents. These are the logs that CUE generates when in use. They're usually labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, and tmp. We'd like these files from you on the machine giving you problems.

It sounds so far it may be system related with your issue. At the very least, the keyboard should show up properly in your device manager so I would also recommend investigating what the issue is with the Error (error code?).

Thanks for your help. The logs never showed up, but that's OK. I knew that there must have been some kind of conflict issue with my main PC because I managed to install the keyboard on a 2007 ASUS running windows 8.1 and a similar age asus eeepad running windows 7. The keyboard obviously worked on multiple laptops so I decided it was an issue with my main laptop. My guess is driver conflict with something else that was installed.

It's fixed now. I basically upgraded to windows 8.1 from 7 pro. I just had to get this keyboard to work so I took the hit. I think the issue would have also been fixed with a clean install of 7 pro, but I went ahead and did the upgrade to 8.1 Once upgraded and after installing a million windows updates, the keyboard was the first device I plugged into my USB port. Worked perfectly.

I can't recommend this to everyone because of the price you pay in time, but re-installing windows fixed this problem for me and now my awesome keyboard is in full service.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for your help. The logs never showed up, but that's OK. I knew that there must have been some kind of conflict issue with my main PC because I managed to install the keyboard on a 2007 ASUS running windows 8.1 and a similar age asus eeepad running windows 7. The keyboard obviously worked on multiple laptops so I decided it was an issue with my main laptop. My guess is driver conflict with something else that was installed.

It's fixed now. I basically upgraded to windows 8.1 from 7 pro. I just had to get this keyboard to work so I took the hit. I think the issue would have also been fixed with a clean install of 7 pro, but I went ahead and did the upgrade to 8.1 Once upgraded and after installing a million windows updates, the keyboard was the first device I plugged into my USB port. Worked perfectly.

I can't recommend this to everyone because of the price you pay in time, but re-installing windows fixed this problem for me and now my awesome keyboard is in full service.

Im glad you were able to resolve the issue. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Archived