Corsair Community

H105 back plate loose on ROG Maximus VII Formula

Kings Gambit

I am stuck in the water with my dream build. Installed the Maximus VII into my 760T case, attached the H105 baseplate but there is a LOT of play with the standoffs so the back plate is incredibly loose.

Could it be that ASUS made the Maximus VII too thin for this cooler? OR, am I missing something during the instructions on installing the H105?

I cant imagine this fitting snugly on my processor so I haven't proceeded to step for of installing the pump onto my processor.

Is there a workaround? Or, will I just need to send this cooler back and try a new model?

If the issue is same as mine, I dont see how installing the water pump will tighten a loose backplate. Are we sure that it is not the thermal paste adhering to the CPU that makes it appear that way? Dont try wiggleing the water block. Wiggle the stand offs instead. I think there is also the question if the water block is vertical versus horizontal.

The real test is when you run a load test and see those temps go up. In the case of Asus impact, they even include washers for that reason and indicate the washers are needed for some backplates.

Here is a quick test I made that in retrospect, it could have been better (allow the paste to settle, the water to cool to optimal, run the test at least 30 minutes etc) that shows using washers will decrease the temps. You really cant see the difference on idle though.

[ame]

[/ame]

Every board I've owned had loose backplate before installing pump. That's a lot of boards. All boards worked without adding washers once pump was installed. People need to spamming this in every loose backplate thread. Almost all boards have the loose backplate before pump install. 99% of the time washers aren't needed. If somebody tries to ad washers when they don't have the issue and crank the block down tight it can cause other issue. Bent mounting plates, broken hardware etc.

Also that video is bull****. I don't know if you made it but stop posting it. Vid is 1.196v in first part without washers and 1.132v in 2nd part with washers. There's your temp difference. Not showing core temps in 2nd part either...

Every board I've owned had loose backplate before installing pump. That's a lot of boards. All boards worked without adding washers once pump was installed. People need to spamming this in every loose backplate thread. Almost all boards have the loose backplate before pump install. 99% of the time washers aren't needed. If somebody tries to ad washers when they don't have the issue and crank the block down tight it can cause other issue. Bent mounting plates, broken hardware etc.

Also that video is bull****. I don't know if you made it but stop posting it. Vid is 1.196v in first part without washers and 1.132v in 2nd part with washers. There's your temp difference. Not showing core temps in 2nd part either...

Yes, I made the video. No need to get worked up over it though and be arrogant. I did not do it to upset people but to help if anything. In my case I am talking specifically about Mini ITX boards. Are all the boards you owned Mini ITX? While it has fit loose on some other boards like you said, it was never to this level. What do you mean by 1.132v? I did not change the voltage.

The voltage is lower in the 2nd video part (with rubber washers). Plus u showed core temps in first part n not in 2nd. Video doesn't really prove anything at all. Pointless.
I did not realize that I did not show them in the second part. I may run a test again. I did not change the voltage either so I am not sure about the difference. As for my question? Do you own a mini ITX board that you can confirm? Like I mentioned before, some motherboards come with the washers for this very reason. Not to mention some Corsair tech support agents have also recommended using the washers.

Please check out the reference to including washers to increase backplate compatability.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/

I just don't believe it's right. I've built tons of rigs gone through tons of boards with these coolers n never had to use washer. Imo it's more likely that people are sent or use the wrong standoffs, AMD ones. Black instead of the solver they should get. I'll have to compare and see if the amd ones are any larger than the intel ones.

Well I have also built a ton of machines as well as repaired them so I am not a novice. It’s been about 20 years now. You never really answered my question if you personally have built a mini ITX system though. So far I have built only four and this is the first time I encountered this issue. My prior build which used an H50 as well as H80 did not have this problem.

I will post the video of tonight's results tomorrow. In my case I am talking about Intel and not AMD. I can tell you there was a typo between the standoff shown in the manual that you are supposed to use. Two pages in the manual show different stand offs to use. I ended up calling Corsair to confirm which ones were the correct ones.

As far as this experiment, I have done it now about 5-6 times already and in every single instance, the temps are better with the washers than without them. With each test, I clean the grease off and use a purifier. I am so anal that I even count the number of turns to each of the nuts as I tighten the water block. Most importantly, I did not install the washers solely on the bracket being loose. It was a result of the temps being so high that I was worried. I ended up doing a bit of research and that is when I opted to install them.

My friend is now very happy with his new build. He was also initially reluctant to use the washers because it just sounds weird. Once he saw the results first hand, he insisted on the washers. I know I wound like a parrot but I have to repeat that my experience with the washers is specific to the ITX form factor. Again, even Asus includes washers for mounting the back plate and state that it is done in order to increase compatibility. Lastly, even Corsair tech support has provided this direction. They did personally for me when I called.

Check out the pictures so you can see how much the standoff comes out and the thickness of the mobo. I dont want to take another one of my machines out to measure that thickness but it does look thinner.

20140909_180053.jpg.44613590fa923e3178143e1e7a6f015a.jpg

20140909_175428.jpg.0cf8c37b60b408d418ed707e95a35c6d.jpg

I have built 2 itx systems in the last year. Both were gigabyte boards tho. I was just pointing out the inconsistencies in your video. Difference voltages and not showing core temps mainly. I've tried the rubber washers in 2 different builds as the backplate had tons of play even tho they were snug with pump installed. Both times temps were identical, not even 1°C difference. Ill keep my opinion on it until I see a video with more consistency. Also i don't know if it's bad lighting but it looks like your using the black standoffs which are the AMD standoffs in the picture u just posted.

I have built 2 itx systems in the last year. Both were gigabyte boards tho. I was just pointing out the inconsistencies in your video. Difference voltages and not showing core temps mainly. I've tried the rubber washers in 2 different builds as the backplate had tons of play even tho they were snug with pump installed. Both times temps were identical, not even 1°C difference. Ill keep my opinion on it until I see a video with more consistency. Also i don't know if it's bad lighting but it looks like your using the black standoffs which are the AMD standoffs in the picture u just posted.
I know and I sincerely appreciate that. I did not realize that I made those mistakes. However, initially you came out real strong.

As for the standoffs or backplate, you dont use them for AMD so none are included (I have been talking about the H100i). The standoffs included are for 1155/1156 & 2011. Look at the manual and you will see that one page indicates to use the bigger standoffs for 1155 and another page shows the shorter standoffs to be used. I am sure that this does not help with the confusion. I am also not sure why Corsair does not fix this typo in the online PDF.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/49-000175_rev_AB_H100i_QSG_web.pdf

Last night's video crapped out but I will post some screenshots later. I ran the OCCT on default settings for 10 minutes for each test. This time it was my friends Intel 4790k. Results below:

No washers:

Min: 37c

Max: 79c

Washers:

Min: 32c

Max: 71c

That's why I said I wonder if some users were sent the wrong standoffs. My concern is that most people come here with concerns of the backplate being loose before installing pump, which is the case with every motherboard. Then people are right away jumping on the thread about adding washers, which 99% of the time is not needed at all and can cause damage to motherboard, mounting hardware, or mounting plate on pump. First recommendation should always be install pump and if everything is not snug after that it may need the washers. I've seen many users actually saying washers are needed on motherboards that I've personally used that do not need the washers.

I apologize for coming on strong in my initial post, but the video is so inconsistent it was almost completely pointless.

That's why I said I wonder if some users were sent the wrong standoffs. My concern is that most people come here with concerns of the backplate being loose before installing pump, which is the case with every motherboard. Then people are right away jumping on the thread about adding washers, which 99% of the time is not needed at all and can cause damage to motherboard, mounting hardware, or mounting plate on pump. First recommendation should always be install pump and if everything is not snug after that it may need the washers. I've seen many users actually saying washers are needed on motherboards that I've personally used that do not need the washers.

I apologize for coming on strong in my initial post, but the video is so inconsistent it was almost completely pointless.

Apology accepted and thank you so much for this now constructive criticism. That does give me something to work on.

Archived