Corsair Community

H100i humming noise & high temps

markob53

Hi everyone,

I recently put together my new build which includes a H100i in a NZXT H440 case and a 4790k cpu and I’m having noise and temperature issues.

I noticed the fan was making a high pitched noise when the fans were connected to the pump so I unplugged them and put the fans in the mobo, that solved that problem but a humming sound still remains, it is 100% from the pump as when I unplug it from the power it goes away, it is not a rattle of any kind, it just literally sounds like a hum and it’s the loudest thing in my case, is this the normal sound the pump should make?

Also my temperatures don’t seem correct at all, when I first boot my computer up I’m seeing my cpu is 40c idle, then when I left the house this morning after the pc being on for around an hour the temps in windows via real temps were closer to 50c and last night when I ran prime95 it was at a minimum of around 78 – 80c then eventually got to high 90’s after a few tests (fans at full speed)

I’ve checked to see that the pump is securely in place and it seems to be (doesn’t budge when I try to move it) I did make the mistake of removing the plastic from the back plate though, although this may have other consequences it shouldn’t effect noise or temps should it?

I couple of other things I think it might be is that when I first placed the H100i pump onto the cpu it took me 2-3 tries because I was expecting it to almost clip into place so it moved around a little on the cpu and some of the thermal paste may have smudged (but would that matter as long as it ends up on the cpu?) also only 2 of the 3 front intake fans work (not sure why, I’ve tried everything) and they are at a lower RPM (way too loud otherwise) but when I did put them full speed it didn’t seem to help much and 2 intake fans should be enough anyway surely?

I’m happy to buy more thermal paste but if it only solves the temps issue but I can’t solve the noise issue then I don’t see the point, I may as well get a brand new cpu cooler.

Thanks

Have you checked that the backing plate is correctly fitted (2 notches facing up). Check that the back plate doesn't move. If you tightened the pump fixing nuts by hand, give them a 1/2 turn with a screwdriver. The pump does tend to make a gentle hum, but it shouldn't be loud. There has been something on here about the fans making a noise when plugged in to the pump, it may be worth searching for that.

Have you checked that the backing plate is correctly fitted (2 notches facing up). Check that the back plate doesn't move. If you tightened the pump fixing nuts by hand, give them a 1/2 turn with a screwdriver. The pump does tend to make a gentle hum, but it shouldn't be loud. There has been something on here about the fans making a noise when plugged in to the pump, it may be worth searching for that.

I backplate and pump are both very solid and tightened with a screwdriver, but if i take a picture of how it is set up along with the back plate would you be able to tell me if i've positioned it correctly, i know there are little groves in the back plate that allow you to line up the screws from the cpu and i think my back plate is overlapping those screws and not in line.

Ok, I took pictures of my backplate and quickly realised something, the backplate is on upside down...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lu9fafcjn581af/IMG_20140829_004448.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf1dnbrzese0guo/IMG_20140829_004634.jpg

I know it's meant to be the other way round with the cpu screws aligned in the grooves of the backplate, as it is now they are on top of those screws, I won't be able to re-install it tonight but does look to be the cause of my temp issues?

Just FYI my temps on core temp currently are 43, 43, 40, 40 0-2% load.

Ok great news, i refitted the backplate and straight away my bios was reading 25c which is about 10-15c cooler than usual, i ran the full test in prime95 for 10 mins and never went higher than 65c :biggrin: compared to a minimum 80c before and nearly 100c after the same time period.

Time to overclock! :sunglasse

Ok great news, i refitted the backplate and straight away my bios was reading 25c which is about 10-15c cooler than usual, i ran the full test in prime95 for 10 mins and never went higher than 65c :biggrin: compared to a minimum 80c before and nearly 100c after the same time period.

Time to overclock! :sunglasse

Hi can you post the picture with the correct backplate?

I have the same problem too where I have a high temp reading in the stock clock of 4690k. 80c on full load.

Thanks

Archived