Corsair Community

PC Does Not Boot After H110 CPU Cooler Installation

atariwarrior

I replaced my stock CPU cooler with the H110. After installation, the PC will not boot-up. There is no indication that the PC is booting up. Nothing is displayed on the monitor. I don't hear the normal beep from the motherboard during booting. All I hear are the case and H110 fans. I checked the fan and pump cables from the H110. I tried plugging these cables in both the chasis fan headers and CPU fan header. I checked all the usual stuff (power cables, power supply, memory stick, hard drives, etc.). I pulled the CPU and re-seated it. Re-installed the H110 cooling block. I checked the power supply with a power supply tester and all the lights are green- OK. I noticed that the videocard fan is not spinning up. I suspect that I may have flexed the board while installing the backplate and tightening the cooling block screws. Could this cause a problem with the videocard? I re-installed the stock CPU cooler and still the PC does not boot up.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

You appear to have checked all the usual suspects. The only things that I would suggest are to check the 24 and 8 pin power connectors, check the memory is seated ok and remove the graphics card and plug the monitor into the onboard graphics. If it then boots but you still cannot see anything you may need to reset your bios to get the onboard graphics back on. If none of this works, you may be right about your motherboard. Make sure that the pump sensor is plugged into the cpu fan plug, as some boards won't boot if they don't detect a cpu fan or in this case pump.

I rechecked the 24 and 8 pin connectors with tester and firmly plugged both of these in. I reseated the memory module. I now get 4 beeps when I try to start the PC but the monitor does not show anything. I made sure that the CPU fan was plugged into the CPU fan header. My motherboard does not have an onboard video card or port.

This is some progress. I'll look online to decipher the 4 beeps.

Thanks for your help.

In the process of rechecking all the connections, I forgot to plug in the 6 pin power connector in the back of the videocard. I plugged it in and now everything boots up as it should.

I'm going to try to reinstall the H110. This time, I will make sure that the screws for the block are not too tight.

I'm wondering if there is still some damage to the motherboard. Could an open trace on the motherboard have closed up with the stock CPU cooler? Whereas reinstalling the H110 could open it up again?

I already ordered a new motherboard a few days ago.

Archived