Corsair Community

Windows has started hanging with Force F120

Noupoi

Today, I had YouTube up and playing a video when it suddenly started hanging. After rebooting the system, it would start to hang anywhere from the lock screen to just after logging in at the desktop. Waiting around for a long time (like 10 minutes) will allow the PC to be used briefly before the hanging starts again.

The OS in use is Windows 8.1, and the F120 is 11 months old replacement. Disk utilisation in task manager shows 100% constantly, even when I'm sitting at the desktop, not doing anything.

I've managed to get these screenshots in-between this happening.

http://i.imgur.com/wCfsDlo.png

http://i.imgur.com/9US7iln.png

What's wrong with the drive. Is it dying?

I just tried booting that computer, and now I can't even get to the lock screen. The furthest it gets is the loading screen with the Windows logo and the spinning loading icon, after which it bluescreens, showing UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/rkp1OMP.png

It promptly reboots itself and tries to do a start up repair, but after waiting a while, it just shows a black screen with a cursor.

Did you change the SATA settings on the motherboard? E.g. IDE to AHCI or reverse? If so change it back and see if it fixes the issue.

Did you install Windows on the other HD? If so, disconnect it and see if it boots into Windows.

If no to both questions, secure erase the SSD and see if you can reinstall Windows.

If you can't or errors occur, it seems like the SSD is faulty. if you are still in warranty (Three years from purchase date, request an RMA to replace the drive and upload a picture of the invoice as proof of purchase.

Note: A secure erase will permanently delete all data on the drive.

Did you change the SATA settings on the motherboard? E.g. IDE to AHCI or reverse? If so change it back and see if it fixes the issue.

Did you install Windows on the other HD? If so, disconnect it and see if it boots into Windows.

If no to both questions, secure erase the SSD and see if you can reinstall Windows.

If you can't or errors occur, it seems like the SSD is faulty. if you are still in warranty (Three years from purchase date, request an RMA to replace the drive and upload a picture of the invoice as proof of purchase.

Note: A secure erase will permanently delete all data on the drive.

Thanks for the advice!

The answer to both questions is indeed no. However, I've done some troubleshooting of my own since my last post.

Booting from the Windows install media and running chkdsk /r turned up lots of bad sectors/files, but Windows now boots, and I can login. The 100% disk utilisation has also gone.

I'm well aware that the drive could still be failing, so I'm making an image of the SSD using Clonezilla (this is also throwing lots of I/O errors). Afterwards, I plan to boot back into Windows and try and repair system files using the SFC and DISM utilities.

If this problem re-emerges, I will be doing a secure erase, followed by a clean Windows install. Time will tell if it really is the SSD at fault - hopefully, it won't be! :o:

Edit: So much for that. A few reboots after performing successful SFC and DISM runs, I get a new message. When I try to load Windows, I just get a BSOD saying winload.exe is missing or corrupt, and I need to repair my PC. Secure erase, here I come!

Edit 2: And... Rebooting the system fixed that BSOD. I'm thinking the SSD is at fault here.

As a follow up to my last post, I have had a myriad of new errors since then. This includes 'kernel_data_inpage_error'.

I've now performed a secure erase using PartedMagic, and reinstalled Windows. It's still acting weird, so I'm concluding that the SSD really is dying, and won't be trying anything further fixes.

On the bright side, it gives me an excuse to go and buy a new SSD. :)

Archived