Corsair Community

Does anyone actually have Link working?!

Geth

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down there. I was neither trying to be condescending, nor trying to be a dick. When I sit down to write a response I try to put in as much information as I can while keeping my post light. I have no way of knowing your background or which fans you've tried (this wasn't the purpose anyway). You'd asked how to set the curves to not change so dramatically when using the CPU temp as the bind, I did what I could to write something that would be understood by anyone reading this ( you didn't submit a resume with this).

I apologize if you thought I was talking down to you, or being a dick, but I assure you, my purpose in taking the time to write a reply was only to help.

-LeRoy3rd

id say he was likely referring to this part of your post

a) don't ever let the CPU get hot (aka never use the PC)

b) get quieter fans

c) Set the curves properly

d) continue to improperly cool your CPU (it will take care of itself! ;-) )

i actually took it as just being humorous as evident by the ''smiley''

your analogy of various sorts really has nothing to do in comparison to computers

while i dont have your vast amount of experience in IT ect...,i can unequivocally say without a doubt that you have the wrong perspective in water cooling a pc.

do you honestly think turning up your fans is going to cool an already cooled water loop?

have you ever noticed your cpu heat dropping by turning up fans?,,i highly doubt it

i ask anyone to load their computer up ,then crank up the fans and see if cpu temps drop,,perhaps a couple degrees at best if even that.

this idea of cooling the cpu your way is a misconception by those that are used to cooling by air and WC is totally different.

in laymen terms

your water is say 35c,,you hit a hard load and the cpu instantly heats up

your water is still going to be 35c so what good does it do to spin up the fans?,,if its at its lowest temp of 35c at idle,then the fans wont lower it under load.

now keeping the hard load will obviously eventually heat the water so fans are needed to maintain a lower water temp as the temp raises.

its amazing how the proper concepts of watercooling eludes so many people

another very simple analogy

water temp is 35c

you load it and keep the fans low and the water temp maintains 35c

are higher rpm fans needed?

of course not

but IF AND WHEN the water temp rises will rpm's be needed

keep a open mind and think about it...;):

Judging by your response you have no idea about thermal transfer nor do you have any idea about thermodynamics in general, which isn't that big of a deal because we all started off thinking that same thought process anyways.

Which way does heat travel? It naturally follows colder temperatures, this is the entire concept of what a radiator is based upon (besides the obvious radiation of heat naturally). If you're increasing air flow in the case based upon core temperatures the fans will be quicker to react on the airflow through the radiator thereby increasing efficiency because the heat will flow faster towards the now colder source. You've also got the added benefit of extracting hot air by the power delivery to the CPU and ram and around the water block - remember, I'm talking about the CORE temperature and not the garbage CPU temperature that is there as well.

My analogies are very similar to what is going inside your case (do you honestly think your AC system is any different than a water cooled computer? You would be amazed at how similar they are, like I said, the only difference is FREON!)

As far as the CPU fans go, I've got my initial point set at ZERO rpm and zero temperature as to encourage a higher slope towards the next point which is above the minimum fan speed (usually at 300-400 RPM on the SP120 PWM Quiets), and step up for each point to each ten degrees with a 100%/60C load - this will encourage the system to bleed the heat away faster rather than fighting it after it has already built up.

I don't intend to offend anyone here. I don't discuss matters unless I'm highly educated and highly experienced in the matter else I shut up and listen to the people that know better (and this is how I also know AC, Plumbing, Electrical, Dry walling, etc). We all learn by challenging prior knowledge and improving upon it.

You can tell me you're wrong all day and it doesn't bother me. I've got the business, the credentials, the experience, and the perfect examples as to why I said what I said. If you choose to believe what you believe is correct, I encourage you to study the 'art' of thermodynamics.

I find it entertaining that someone took the time to go through my prior posts and rate them as bad - bored much?

As far as the CPU fans go, I've got my initial point set at ZERO rpm and zero temperature as to encourage a higher slope towards the next point which is above the minimum fan speed (usually at 300-400 RPM on the SP120 PWM Quiets), and step up for each point to each ten degrees with a 100%/60C load - this will encourage the system to bleed the heat away faster rather than fighting it after it has already built up.

This seems to make some sense, though I'm not used to looking at it this way. Do you have a visual rep or graph to illustrate your point (ie, your rig's CL curve data)?

I´ve spent a huge amount of money in the corsair link products (23 fans, 6 cooling nodes, 3 lightning nodes, 3 commanders....) and it´s probably the biggest bullxit I´ve ever tried.

It just doesn´t work. NO matter how many pieces I try to fix or substitute, is just pure shhit.

I think coming on board saying you achieved nearly 10c below ambient temp simply by running fans says it all in a nutshell..:dunno::rofl:

even if i did bad rate your posts[which i dont waste my time doing]...i can only do this once and some of your posts have multiple bad ratings so obviously im not alone in my opinion

Once again, you show your ignorance. That's in an energy smart server cabinet that cost more than all of your rigs put together especially with the equipment inside of it. That's with a positive pressure cabinet that's specifically set up for my lab and even with picture proof of the cabinet temperature you call me a liar? :laughing: - if you think you can get an office down to 65* in Louisiana in the 100 degree temperatures outside please by all means, go for it.

You're right though, I'll go back to getting paid to build huge rooms that rely on thermodynamics and doing what I do best, you can go back to piddling with your tinker blocks and thinking you know better. There's no sense in trying to educate someone on the internet who lacks the knowledge to comprehend the subject at hand. Good Day

Here's the curve Geth:

http://imageshack.com/a/img906/5811/Gvb4Vj.png

This is core temperatures currently while stress testing everything in AIDA 64 @ 4.8 Ghz which is harder on the system than prime 95.

we can disagree all day long even to the point of adamantly saying one is wrong,,which normally is called friendly debating and that's all good but to resort to ridicule and insults to get ones point across really isn't very mature,wouldn't you think?

if your going to say you can pull build temps nearly 10c below ambient -on air- then expect being doubted and also supply proof other than your word which quite frankly is full of insults for a mature individual.

id really like to see how its done,,im certainly not above admitting being wrong...

but carry on,you obviously can get things cooler than I...

we can disagree all day long even to the point of adamantly saying one is wrong,,which normally is called friendly debating and that's all good but to resort to ridicule and insults to get ones point across really isn't very mature,wouldn't you think?

if your going to say you can pull build temps nearly 10c below ambient -on air- then expect being doubted and also supply proof other than your word which quite frankly is full of insults for a mature individual.

id really like to see how its done,,im certainly not above admitting being wrong...

but carry on,you obviously can get things cooler than I...

I have no problem debating and that's why I even responded to you in the first place saying without disagreements and critical thinking we would never move forward in any field.

If you're referring to my calling you ignorant as being immature it would be exactly the opposite. Do you know how to build out data centers? No? You're ignorant in that area. I don't claim to know how to use a CNC Milling machine therefore I'm ignorant in that area. It's not an insult, it's an observation - if someone were to teach me how to use a CNC Milling machine then at that point I would listen because I know I'm ignorant in that area.

-10* F :bigeyes: below Ambient in the room. This is a Dell Energy Smart Cabinet that I've gone through and sealed off any sources of intake around intake side of the cabinet leaving only the bottom intake portion normally meant for a CRAC unit direct air feed floor tile to direct air into it. This creates a vacuum, a vacuum that pulls the coldest air directly off the floor which in most air conditioned rooms are around 50-55 out of the air registers (and if they aren't, your AC needs servicing). The proof was in the picture, here's a video of the vacuum effect in play on the cabinet - remember this is not a perforated front cabinet door, it's a fully sealed glass pane so there's zero air flow (disregard the USPS boxes, it's cheaper to cut out boxes to seal temporary spots instead of buying blanking panels until the server cabinets thermal and air flow characteristics are determined).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152323587871520&l=1592208123208612970

My theory on this and why this is in a lab setup is because I'm writing a technical paper on how a fully sealed cold side setup would be able to utilize less CRAC power and require much cheaper units in general - of course this all gets to maintenance when you have to break the seal but enough of that, that'll all be released in the study.

Guys, does anyone actually have Corsair Link working properly on Window 7 64-bit and using the CL Commander and Cooling Node such that their fans automatically adhere to a custom curve on system startup without any user intervention such as manually starting the CL console?

I have spent the last several hours documenting across several pages tests and results, and the closest I can get is CL v26.5214 with Cooling Node v1.2.5 with the fans only adhering to the my custom curve once I've manually started the CL console.

Someone, please tell me that you have it working completely on it's own and how you did it.

geth

i have 3 builds on win 7,one on win 8 thats working,the win 7 builds have been ok as far back as june 2012.

the best version that has worked for me has been .4816

the biggest problem most do is not doing a proper uninstall or having a conflicting usb port/devices that hinders things.

ive never been a fan of reg fixes or altering things as this is usually a temporary fix and can cause more issues than initially having.

many of us -including myself- install lots of monitoring programs that may cause issues and recognizing this before changing firmwares can prevent many headaches ...

Archived