Corsair Community

AX1200i: at what temp the fan does start automatically?

tyrannosaurus

Hi guys,

as my AX1200i seems to run pretty hot @50°C - hand touch test: ouch - I wonder at what temperature the fan starts via PSU sensor. There should be a built in temp threshold. Or does the fan triggers only on heavy load?

And is there a way to let the fan run at a fixed ratio without the link software - which is a bit 'overpowering' for my taste.

I'd prefer a small tool exclusively for fan control.

Besides, the graphs in the link software are just white, not this nicely blue colour. Is there a reason for this?

• Corsair Employees

If Link is reporting that the PSU is about 50°C, the fan still might not start up.

Where that temperature is being reported from and where the fan's thermistor sensor is are not the same. They did this because they felt some people may get alarmed by how hot the PSU actually gets.

Given that you only have one graphics card in that machine, I doubt you'll ever get the PSU hot enough to engage the fan.

You can see here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/may/axi_fan-speeds

It took us 10 minutes of running Prime95 (two threads) and Unigine Valley benchmark simultaneously on two Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X graphics cards in Crossfire to get the fan to kick in on an AX1200i. Our reported temperature was relatively low (under 50°C), but again... that's not what the fan is using.

Interesting stuff. That's like mine. Never ever succeeded in starting the unwilling fan by load. Would be nice if the were some lab test information provided by Corsair. If I touch the surface of the case it's a bit hot.

Unfortunately I realised the temp is not the real problem I have with my Ax1200i. My PSU is haunted by the click noise every 10 seconds. Is your Ax1200i silent? I mean if the fan is on default.

• Corsair Employees

Dead silent. Shouldn't click.

Then again, I believe that's a known issue that was resolved in 2012 by reprogramming the fan controller. Unfortunately, they didn't make the "i" series something end users can flash firmware (although the capability is inherent to the platform).

It's exactly like this guy already posted

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=124169&highlight=ax1200i

So thank for your information. I just wanted to know if this problem is finally solved so a rma makes sense. I wouldn't like to repeat the rma procedure over and again. I've read here that ram guys said the ticking noise is a normal behaviour.

I've had a short conversation with Bluebeard in the german forum already but he seems to be vanished. He just adviced an rma.

Archived