Corsair Community

TX850 with strange sounds

amoroginski

Hi,

I have one TX850 that´s making strange buzzing sound, asked for RMA and the unit they sent me has the same problem, now i have two psu´s with the same problem, now i need to know what to do to solve this situation because i have to send the power supply or my card will be charged with the psu price.

Thanks if anybody can help me.

My ticket number is 6340480.

• Corsair Employees
You're 100% sure the buzzing is coming from the PSU? Have you bench tested the PSU, away from all of your other components (like, outside of the chassis) to make sure the buzz is definitely coming from the PSU?

Yes, im sure, with the psu at bench and my ear beside it i can hear the buzz sound when i enter at games, using the pc at windows is normal, the problem happen when entering games, already disabled c1e at bios but same thing, i was using an ocz gsx700 psu with same system and whithout this buzz sound.

• Corsair Employees

Ok. So, in case you didn't know, all magnetics (coils, transformers, etc.) inside a PSU vibrate at a high frequency. These frequencies change as load changes. Typically, this frequency is much higher than human hearing. Once it enters the range of human hearing, it is heard as a hiss or whine, and at lower frequencies it is heard as a buzz.

This isn't the sign of a failing PSU, but it can be quite annoying. Corsair allows end users to RMA PSUs for "coil whine", as it's called, but I'm afraid the only 100% guarantee to get away from it in your case is to ask them to send you a completely different series PSU, like an RM850.

Ok then, i asked for a rm850 at ticket system because there´s no explanation at the power supply box talking about frequencies and sounds of power supply, like u explained to me at previous post and i tought it was silent. I will wait for answer from them, thank you.

• Corsair Employees
no explanation at the power supply box talking about frequencies and sounds of power supply

I'm not sure I understand. You expect vibrating magnetics to be advertised on the box as a feature?

ALL electronics have magnetics that vibrate. It's whether or not that vibration emits a sound within human hearing range that varies from product to product.

Archived