Corsair Community

Corsair H80i Pump Not Starting

commiemelons

So, I've been fighting with a new computer all night, having issues with a brand new H80i. As far as I can tell, the pump is not actually pumping water at all! The LED pulsates red, and the fans connected to the H80i power on (and run quite loud), but the CPU temp slowly climbs up, starting around 40C. I've turned it off before it hit 70C, but it shows no sign of slowing. Finally, the temperature rises even if the pump's power is disconnected.

Here are the system specs:

i7 4770k

ASUS Sabertooth Z87

Corsair H80i Cooling

Zotac GeForce GTX 770

EVGA Supernova 1000G2 1000W 80PLUS Gold PSU

Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM

Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB

The two stock fans are connected to the H80i block, and are powered. The block itself is powered via the sata cable, connected to a regular sata power cable, which is connected to the sata 1 port of the PSU.

Currently, I haven't gotten around to installing Windows to the new computer. I read in a review posted on Newegg that someone's pump didn't start until they had successfully installed the newest firmware. Is this a common problem, or is the pump just dead?

Installation of a different version of firmware will not cause the pump to suddenly start or not. The pump should be delivered from the factory in working condition with the firmware version that's OEM.

If you have the unit connected to the CPU fan header you should see a reading of the pump RPM in bios? The pump speed should be around 2200 RPM. If there is no reading, then the pump is dead. Even if there is a reading, that's no guarantee that the pump is actually moving liquid.

Keep us posted.

It's plugged into the fan header, but I'm not seeing anything in the BIOS. Guess I'll have to get a replacement. In the meantime, I've installed the stock cooler, and it seems to be running fine.

I'll post again (or update this post) when I install the replacement.

Thanks for the help!

Archived