Corsair Community

M90 Scroll Issues - Is it even worth a RMA?

SPSX

Hi,

I have seen numerous posts here on the Corsair forums about the problem with the M90 scroll wheel, which often behaves erratically and is not smooth. Scrolling up appears fine for a sec - then the display bounces down as if I scrolled the wheel downwards. Sometimes, a small tap will make the screen move a bit; the next time the slightest movement will move the display to the very bottom of a document. I've also had a few cases where the scroll direction was actually reversed.

Similar problems have been documented here, here, and here. There are many other cases with this mentioned all over this forum, so this isn't as localised an issue as I once thought.

I've had my M90 for almost two years, meaning that its barely within warranty period. Cleaning the mouse with compressed air and switching computers does not solve the problem, meaning that it appears to be a hardware fault. Reflashing the firmware and reinstalling drivers (or trying it on a Linux machine without drivers) didn't do anything. Otherwise, all other features of the mouse work properly.

The problem with my mouse began several days ago and has gotten progressively worse. The scroll wheel has become more and more inaccurate and the behavior is becoming more erratic and annoying. It never acted like this until now.

Normally, I wouldn't mind returning the mouse (it's under warranty). However, my concern is with the problem repeating itself soon after the replacement mouse is installed. Some users have reported that the new M90s sent by Corsair have this problem too (here, here, here). With my warranty going to run out in a matter of months, there's no point in getting a second M90 is there's a big chance it will die soon as well. There have been mentions on this board of people getting a second or even third RMA until their warranty period has expired.

With so many other people having this problem repeat over and over again, I'm not sure if I should just dump Corsair and get a new mouse or try to RMA it and see how it goes. From the looks of it, there hasn't been an attempt from the R&D team to look at the mistake and fix it in new revisions of the mouse. Even the newer M95 (some people got a M95 instead of an M90 through the warranty process) has similar problems as well.

What should I do? Are there ways for Corsair to cover shipping for me (considering the reliability of the M90), or have a full 2 year warranty on the replacement mouse as well? It seems that Corsair now isn't really delivering the "superior" quality and durability that got me to buy a M90 in the first place...

Excuse me?

"It's almost out of warranty so basically you got what you paid for."

Basically, you're saying that a M90 mouse is only designed to last for two years and nothing more. I would understand that for a cheap OEM mouse (actually mine have lasted for ten years and counting), but not this.

slow your roll now,what im saying is they guarantee it to last 2 years so yes this is what things are based on as with any product,but your having problems at the end of the warranty so your able to basically get an opportunity of extended use.,fortunately it happened before and not after the warranty period.

With my mouse it has nothing to do with the hardware but mouse drivers which are not compatible with Windows 8.1 Prox64 at least. With Windows 7 sp1 Prox64 no problems. Corsair does not support this mouse anymore it seems. I can not even update firmware because update process stops always with an error.

Try updating the firmware on your Win7 computer which hopefully has better driver support. For the drivers, you might be able to install them using Compatibility Mode for Win7 (set it for both the installer and the driver EXEs after its installed).

hi

I have the same problem with that mouse

but i can't RMA that easy since i live in saudi arabia.

& the companies here doesn't seems to b interested in RMA of the faulty items anyway

i had this mouse for over a year now, & i had that problem since i bought it, but the retailer refused to accept the RMA, simply he told me "we r not in america"

so i'm searching for a software that might fix this, or maybe a advice for what should i do?

• 3 years later...
Hi,

I have seen numerous posts here on the Corsair forums about the problem with the M90 scroll wheel, which often behaves erratically and is not smooth. Scrolling up appears fine for a sec - then the display bounces down as if I scrolled the wheel downwards. Sometimes, a small tap will make the screen move a bit; the next time the slightest movement will move the display to the very bottom of a document. I've also had a few cases where the scroll direction was actually reversed.

Similar problems have been documented here, here, and here. There are many other cases with this mentioned all over this forum, so this isn't as localised an issue as I once thought.

I've had my M90 for almost two years, meaning that its barely within warranty period. Cleaning the mouse with compressed air and switching computers does not solve the problem, meaning that it appears to be a hardware fault. Reflashing the firmware and reinstalling drivers (or trying it on a Linux machine without drivers) didn't do anything. Otherwise, all other features of the mouse work properly.

The problem with my mouse began several days ago and has gotten progressively worse. The scroll wheel has become more and more inaccurate and the behavior is becoming more erratic and annoying. It never acted like this until now.

Normally, I wouldn't mind returning the mouse (it's under warranty). However, my concern is with the problem repeating itself soon after the replacement mouse is installed. Some users have reported that the new M90s sent by Corsair have this problem too (here, here, here). With my warranty going to run out in a matter of months, there's no point in getting a second M90 is there's a big chance it will die soon as well. There have been mentions on this board of people getting a second or even third RMA until their warranty period has expired.

With so many other people having this problem repeat over and over again, I'm not sure if I should just dump Corsair and get a new mouse or try to RMA it and see how it goes. From the looks of it, there hasn't been an attempt from the R&D team to look at the mistake and fix it in new revisions of the mouse. Even the newer M95 (some people got a M95 instead of an M90 through the warranty process) has similar problems as well.

What should I do? Are there ways for Corsair to cover shipping for me (considering the reliability of the M90), or have a full 2 year warranty on the replacement mouse as well? It seems that Corsair now isn't really delivering the "superior" quality and durability that got me to buy a M90 in the first place...

My mouse just recently started doing the same thing. I had it for probably about 2 years with no problems. Then the scroll wheel started doing as you described. I fixed it myself.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcftpW5KmA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Archived