Corsair Community

i bought a 512mb of CMX512-3200c2 stick and it's SPD is incorect need help

Just out of curiosity, what is the speed of the CPU? Is it running at 200 FSB? Is the memory running at a 1:1 ratio?

In most rigs, the memory will show up at the speed it is running at, not the speed it is rated at. (At least, that has been my experience, with ABIT boards.)

steve

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have a P.4 2.8 Northwood. I set FSB to 200, Motherboard is Asus P4P800-E dulex (DEFAULT) settings. And I got angry so I got another one from CompUSA. This one is almost the same. The Computer guy told me it would run at 2-3-3-6 but it's running at 2-3-3-8 (200mhz). This is the same XMS 512-3200c2. Both are the same. running at 1:1 ratio. But one shows as 166 the other is 200. Is the ram broken? I am kinda newbie in this kind of stuf.

• Corsair Employees

More than likely you have a module that was made before January of 2003, as there was no official spec for DDR400 until then and we use the JEDEC defined values for DDR333 until then. You can get around this by setting the timings manually or we will be happy to replace this module! However Rev 1.1 modules are no longer in production so they will offer the same or faster part to replace what you send in!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Okay but for the old one I dont have any Warranty papers or the Recept for it. But I just bought another stick. Same 512mb xms. Only difference is one shows v1.2 and the other is 3.1(new one). Can I use the new one to replace the old warrenty instaed??? Or do i need to pay a lot the money for repair?

• Corsair Employees

LOL! Please just submit the RMA and our customer Service may ask where you purchased the ram. Please follow the directions under "I think I have a bad module" under this forum or if you have trouble, Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

Okay thanks for the help.(Corsair gave me an approve on the RMA) But I am also having some problems with my new Ram. It's same XMS512 3200C2 v3.1. On your web site it show this memory runs at 2-3-3-6 1T(i dont know what it means) But my cusin know a lot bout this computer stuf. Anyway it's running at SPD 3-3-3-8 instead. Cant find 1T on the software (CPU-Z). I called the computer guy and they told me they would replace it for me. But it's kind far from where I live. But everything runs okay. Dose this affect my performance? If not i dont need to go though so many trouble.

• Corsair Employees
If you mix these I would suggest setting the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set you dim voltage to 2.7 Volts. If you are running them one up you can set the tested settings Cass 2-3-3-6 for Intel platform or Cass 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD platform! But all of our module that end with C2 would have their SPD set to JEDEC defined values for the IC that used on that respective module and we do not guarantee you can mix modules, that is one of the reasons we came out with Twinx sets of memory!

• Corsair Employees
Also what do you mean by (JEDEC defined values for the IC??) I am really new to computer stuff.

In this case the IC we use is made by Infineon and JEDEC defined vales would be Cass 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 so that is what is set in the SPD. They are set manually to the tested setting and then tested on a MB that's listed under XMS Qualification and Testing for the specific module you have!

• Corsair Employees
If a setting posted is not listed in your MB’s specific bios, then you shouldn’t worry about it. Not every MB may have or show all of the tested settings for a given module. In addition, I would not suggest mixing memory with any MB today. Many will not even post if the modules are not exactly matched, and one of the reasons we released Twinx sets.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i got my ram back. and i see this is v5.1.

i run them in dual mode now. everything is fine.

but i have a question.

in my bois i set every thing to 2.5-3-2-6. and after that i see Dram Burst Lenth they gave me a 6 and 8 wich one should i pick? the higher the better or the lower?

Archived