Corsair Community

Bad module! What can I do?

PingPong

Hello.

I´ve just bought a matched pair of Corsair modules (Corsair TwinX 2X CMX256A-3200LL ). I´ve installed them and at the first boot of windows my pc crashed. I installed only one module and everything worked fine. Then I changed the modules and I got a bluescreen again. I´ve downloaded GoldMemory to check my memory. I´ve tested the second module and GoldMemory printed out a lot of errors while the first module passed the test. Consequently I think that i have a bad memory module. What can I do now? Do I have to send it back? When I have to send it back, do I have to send both back, because they are coordinated. Where do I have to send it? (is there a settlement in Germany or Europe?)

Yours sincerely

Matthias

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings for your modules:

CPU Freq: 166 Mhz (2500+ 133MHx for 2200+)

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I´ve used the settings you´ve posted above.

Memory voltage: 2.7Volt

Timings: 2-3-2-6

CPU frequency: 166Mhz*11

highest memory frequency at which the memory works correctly: 180Mhz

I don´t think that the settings are wrong, because the other memory module which is exactly the same works finewith these settings.

• Corsair Employees
You have to understand that the CPU you have is 333MHz FSB, at all times it is recommended to run the CPU in sync with the memory modules. So in order for you to run the memory module at it's full rated and speed, you will have to use a 400MHz FSB CPU.

No, this can´t be the reason! The other module works fine at a memory frequency at 200Mhz. I just switched the modules and te system isn´t running anymore! I´ve also tested to overclock my CPU at 11*200Mhz. I have two other Twinmos-memory-modules which also run at a memory frenquency of 200Mhz in this system. There are 3 modules which run at 200Mhz in this system and just this one doesn´t work although it´s identical in construction with one module which works fine. I don´t think that you can deny the fact, that there has to be a failure in this memory module.

• Corsair Employees

You are welcome to send the RMA request, but this is a chipset limitation.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Archived