Corsair Community

H100i temps higher than usual

Tokolozi

Hello,

Recently my CPU temps have gone thru the roof. My PC was running fine for about a year now and I never had any temperature before (39C on idle, 70isch on OCCT). But since a week or so I have seen my idle temps go up drastically(50C idle and 90+ on load, not even on OCCT). I have not moved my PC recently seeing as my last LAN party was in October (also when I went SLI). And yes I have scanned for viruses just to be sure. There is some dust but I've cleaned out most of it. When I touched the H100i's radiator it felt cold to the touch and only one of the two tubes felt hot (bottom one). So is there a pump issue or something like that? Corsair link is giving a pump speed of about 2300rpm. The H100i's temperature also rises the CPU temps rise but i think this is measured at the cold plate. All my fans are running at 100% (using bitfenix fans and external fan controller)

Thanks in advance

Tokolozi

Ok, it seems that it has returned to somewhat normal temps but does this mean my something is starting to fail??:confused::confused:

Edit: ok their seems to be an 30-40 degree difference between cpu and H100i on load. Could it be that I need to re-seat the heatsink??

blow out about once a year (not so dusty in my room & I have fan filters on al the intakes). Am talking to a corsair representative on the chat so let you know if something

Edit: as reccomended I'm first gonna try re-seating the heatsink

• 2 weeks later...
blow out about once a year (not so dusty in my room & I have fan filters on al the intakes). Am talking to a corsair representative on the chat so let you know if something

Edit: as reccomended I'm first gonna try re-seating the heatsink

the reps suggestion is a good one as paste does have a lifespan before degradation begins to occur,the time frame of course depends on the brand of paste used.a good indication of degradation is temps slowly and consistently begin to rise..

the reps suggestion is a good one as paste does have a lifespan before degradation begins to occur,the time frame of course depends on the brand of paste used.a good indication of degradation is temps slowly and consistently begin to rise..

Sorry to hijack the thread here but about how long on average is the lifespan of thermal paste? Just for example the H100i stock paste. I've had mine for about 2 months now and my average temperatures have risen quite a bit since I first installed the cooler.

Sorry to hijack the thread here but about how long on average is the lifespan of thermal paste? Just for example the H100i stock paste. I've had mine for about 2 months now and my average temperatures have risen quite a bit since I first installed the cooler.

I think you should check thermal paste every 2-3 years.

So the re-seating didn't help. As i said the temperatures went up all of the sudden and not just over time so I'm really doubting if it is the thermal paste. Also when I turn my fans down this barely has an impact on the temperatures so maybe a blockage in the pipes, seeing as my pump is still going at +-2300 rpm? Difference between CPU and pump temperatures is about 10 degrees (according to link) which is sorta normal so the thermal paste is doing its job. Just playing games is now impossible and I'm even considering putting on the stock cooler for now.

Cooling will always degrade over time, no matter what.

The thermal paste 'sets' and will get harder as time goes on.

It's also basic knowledge that different materials expand at different rates. So we have the cpu core expanding at a different rate to the IHS and whatever bonds them, then again to the thermal paste and finally to the heatsink. Eventually the bonds will break (or at least stress-fracture). I had a delidded AMD do this and chip the core so it's 100% reality.

In theory the paste will last a lifetime in a system running at 100% 24/7, whereas the bonds will fracture in a system used 100% for 10 minutes 3 times a week.

However, in this case, because the hydro's temp is only 10C different from the core I see no problem with the cooler's mounting or the hydro itself.

I'm leaning toward a bad bond between CPU core and the IHS. What INTEL cpu is it. btw, intel is more than an educated guess. If it does turn out to be AMD I'll get back in my box!!

or if you've recently remounted the rad/fans there is another simpler explanation, but because you haven't said you've done this I'll leave it for now.

Cooling will always degrade over time, no matter what.

The thermal paste 'sets' and will get harder as time goes on.

It's also basic knowledge that different materials expand at different rates. So we have the cpu core expanding at a different rate to the IHS and whatever bonds them, then again to the thermal paste and finally to the heatsink. Eventually the bonds will break (or at least stress-fracture). I had a delidded AMD do this and chip the core so it's 100% reality.

In theory the paste will last a lifetime in a system running at 100% 24/7, whereas the bonds will fracture in a system used 100% for 10 minutes 3 times a week.

However, in this case, because the hydro's temp is only 10C different from the core I see no problem with the cooler's mounting or the hydro itself.

I'm leaning toward a bad bond between CPU core and the IHS. What INTEL cpu is it. btw, intel is more than an educated guess. If it does turn out to be AMD I'll get back in my box!!

or if you've recently remounted the rad/fans there is another simpler explanation, but because you haven't said you've done this I'll leave it for now.

System specs are visible under my name but its a 3770k. re-seating had no effect and was applied near perfect (I checked when I removed it a second time to put on the stock cooler). The stock cooler is now doing a better job with 32 idle 70 load. compared to 46-50 idle 90+ load (system will stop at 90). So in fact I think my h100i is just faulty if a small block of aluminum can do better than a 120 euro AIO cooler.

I find it strange, but I'm not surprised having been a member for a while.

For what I was thinking google '3770k TIM', and check out the second result. That's what I've been getting at. Perhaps the air cooler is applying more pressure to the IHS?

I'm not planning on de-lidding my CPU seeing as its still capable of being cooled decently with a stock cooler without a OC and a working H100i with an OC to 4.2 (had this in September but didn't see the need for it) this is just a faulty cooler something the warranty should cover. Otherwhise I'm making plans on buying a Dark rock pro 3

Not arguing m8, just explaining why we diagnosed the way we did. 10C difference between CPU and cooler is bang on the money so that was good. Rad is warm, so the pump is working. I'm not gonna insult you by asking about the fans.

Get it RMA'd m8, and I'm sorry if I sounded flippant, but I've dealt with numerous cases of badly fitted coolers being 'faulty'. Call it my shortcut to a resolution.

Well the software reported the temps but the rad felt cold to the touch even with 90 degree CPU. also just one of the pipes felt warm. but yeah I know of the problems people have with applying their thermal compound. but still thanks for your suggestion. My fans are all working, using bitfenix spectre pro's because they have leds and are near silent compared to the stock corsair ones, worth the 3-5 degrees loss over stock fans but they have been in the system as long as the h100i.

Well at least I can still use my pc with the stock cooler on. does sound like a plane is about to take of next to me.

Archived