Corsair Community

H70 Pump Fan Speeds and Clicking Noise

aesculapius

I recently purchased 2 H70s for two different builds.

On one of the builds the CPU fan is running at 2000 +/- 100 rpms with the pump going at 1400 rpm. However at 1400 rpm the pump makes clicking noises, like a fish tank as stated in other posts. When I use the Asus EPU6 Engine to calibrate my system, the pump speed is calibrated down to ~1100 and I lose the clicking noise (most of it, I can still hear small sporadic clicks without the case cover on), however I still cannot decrease the fan speed. My system is idling around 20 degrees C (14-18 C ambient). The pump I have read is suppose to be at full 1400 rpm at all times and I have tried the solutions other users have posted including rotating the radiators so the outputs are at the top/at the bottom, and all have been of no avail in removing the clicking noise except via the calibration to reduce pump rpm. So my question is, is there a way to reduce the fan speed from maximum, because I really don't need my fans at 2000rpms(very loud) when my PC isn't that hot at all... And my other question is, the 1100rpm for the pump is definitely not normal to remove the clicking noise, would an RMA be my only option here?

Regarding my second build, 3 difference from my first one, I have 2 gigabyte GTX460OC 1GB in SLI instead of 1 in the first build, I'm using a Asus P7P55D-E Pro instead of the Deluxe, and I'm using the Lian-Li PC-7FNWX case instead of the Xclio Blackhawk. All other components are exactly the same. The pump in this build is connected directly to the power supply which is giving it full power and everything is normal there. However I am wondering why the fan speed is stuck at around 1300 RPMs. Regardless of whether the system load changes. My CPU can idle at 23 degrees celsius (18-20 degrees C ambient). Under normal usage it sits around 30 degrees celsius. At load I have seen it only peak at around 60 degrees celsius for a couple seconds before settling again, so technically the temperatures are normal. In my first build the fans are spinning FAST. In my second build the fans are spinning SLOW. I get slightly higher temps with the second build (slow fans) but nothing too far off from what I would expect from normal system temps. Regarding this second one I am wondering if that fan speed is ok and I should just leave it as it is since there technically isn't any problems. I read that the H70 comes with fans that are suppose to run 1600-2000 rpms.

Sorry for the long post and so many questions, but this is my first time building a system. Both system has been working just fine but it's just the cooler that has been bothering me. If any additional information is needed to resolve my problems do ask. Thanks!

The pump should run at 1400 +/- all the time you will heat the CPU if not, you might have air in the lines and that will mean a RMA.

Corsair supplied two resistors per unit you can install these in line to reduce the fan speed to about 1600 +/-, or you can install new fans with PWM.

Where are the fans connected to in the second build? it could be that you have set some fan control on the mobo by mistake, they should both be 2000 rpm +/- as deatailed above.

Both builds have the fans connected together (2x 3pins to 1x 3pin output) on the CPU fan header on the mobo. I didn't notice before but yes I did attach one of the resistors on my second build and it reduced the fan to about 1300rpms. So it seems it's probably the resistor doing its thing. I didn't know it was a resistor I just though it was a cord extension :)

I will RMA the first unit. Thanks for your help!

Archived