Corsair Community

P6T Deluxe V2 + TR3X6G1600C8D not working at 1600

Raubritter

Hi,

I read a lot of threads on this topic, tried different settings that where recommended here, yet my problem persists:

I've recently bought a P6T deluxe V2 with intel i7-920 and the triple kit TR3X6G1600C8D memory. Everything seemed to work fine, but I realised that at standard bios settings the memory would only run at 1066 mHz.

I tried to simply change the DDR3 frequency setting from auto to 1600MHz. This did not work at all:

Vista started up and gave me a bluescreen.

I then studied the different settings here in the forum.

I tried the following configurations:

1. From the asus p6t recommendation thread:

speedstep : disabled

BCLK : 133

PCIE : 100

DRAM Freq: 1600

UCLK : 3200

QPI : auto

Voltages:

QPI/DRAM: 1,3 V

DRAM BUS: 1.66 V

Timings: 8/8/8/24

Result: No POST (black screen) (it reset itself and gave me the message :"overclocking failed").

I then increased QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1,3625

It passed POST but would reset when trying to boot vista. (no vista screen or anything, just reset)

2. I enabled XMP profile #1:

this booted vista, but just befor you would see the logon screen it locked up (startup sound looped, graphic errors)

3. XMP profile, but DRAM Freq reduced to 1333 MHz

Booted Vista, seems to work fine, but I didn't run any memtests yet.

So does this mean my Motherboard is broken or something? I've already checked for bent pins (read that this was sometimes the problem) but there weren't any.

I really hope you can help me :)

I now tested each module individually @ xmp 1600MHz.

This didn't work either. Does this mean it's a motherboard problem? Or the CPU maybe? Because the i7 has the memory controler integrated, right? I'm confused.

Oh and I forgot: I updated the bios version to 0406 (before all but the first try to run at 1600).

Here are some screenshots of CPU-Z that I took. I'm wondering whether the Part Number (CM3X2G1600C8D) is correct? I thougt it was TR3X6G1600C8D. Or is that just for the triple kit and the other one for the individual DIMMs?

Anyway the screenshots shows that it only detects the modules as PC3-10700 (667 MHz).

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dvk45e.png

http://i42.tinypic.com/50nwn9.png

Anyway the screenshots shows that it only detects the modules as PC3-10700 (667 MHz).

This is normal as the memory must be able to boot initially at the stock/default speed of the MOBO and CPU.

Check your manual. Are you in the corrrect slots for 3 module operation?

Download the most recent version of Memtest from http://www.memtest.org

Disable Legacy USB Support as it conflicts with Memtest. Then, test the modules. If you get errors, test each module individually.

Ok it passed memtest @ 1333 MHz.

I couldn't get it to boot (neither vista nor memtest) @ 1600.

Also they're mounted in the right slots (a1, b1, c1), I double checked that in the manual (they won't post in a2/b2/c2)

http://i43.tinypic.com/262ves6.jpg

maybe a newb question but how do you fully clear your bios?

is that where you move a jumper on some boards?

hit the reset button the the Asus p6t delux?

take the battery out of the board and let it sit for an hour?

thanks in advance for the info in case i ever need it ;):

Typically on an ASUS MOBO, just moving the jumper while the power cord is removed will do it. But, in this case I'd suggest removing the battery and moving the jumper for about 15 min just for overkill. Then, reboot, load setup defaults, then enable the XMP profile.

Ok I did the following:

removed power cord

removed battery

set jumper for reset

waited 15mins

put battery back

put jumper back to normal

I tried the XMP profile #1 (there's only #1, it says #1 is intel spec, #2 memory vendor specs. Is #2 supposed to be missing?)

It booted vista but gave me the Bluescreen again.

Memorytest would not start. (I disabled usb legacy)

Strangely I got it (memorytest) to start with the following settings (only the combination of those, not individually):

XMP #1 + modified values:

timings: 10-10-10-26

Vdimm: 1,72 V

UCLK: 3200 MHz

QPI Link Data Rate: lowest setting (4000 something)

It started memory test but I did not let it finish, as I didn't know if this was dangerous for the CPU...

Thank you for your help, I hope we can figure this out :):

I still couldn't get it to work...

Does it sound like a RAM issue? Or could it be the motherboard / CPU.

Because I'd really like to get them to work at 1600 MHz. Not that I'm experiencing any performance problems, but I chose high-end quality components (like the RAM) and the system is close to perfect except for this little flaw.

I've never had any problems with Corsair memory.

So if you think this is another component failing, please let me know so I can find a solution or just RMA it (not everyone has such a good support forum).

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry I read your message just after I posted mine. I edited, but somehow it didn't get through.

I basically wrote it would take me until today to test it (different time zone, had to go to bed).

Well I did follow your advice and set QPI/DRAM Volage to 1.6 V

This solved the problem! Thank you so much :biggrin:

The RAM now runs at 1600 MHz and it passed memtest and run stable for 1.5 hours. Prime95 and LinX are also stable.

Are there any downsides to running QPI at 1.6? Because the most I've seen so far was 1,35, maybe 1,4 at most. It doesn't damage anything, does it?

And do you know what caused the problem? I mean it should work at xmp specs, right?

Thank you again for your help

Same RAM, same MOBO, same CPU, same problem...

Did changing ONLY the QPI/DRAM to 1.6 volts and making the DRAM frequency to 1600 fix it completely? Or did you have to do something else also?

Thanks

I enabled XMP profile #1 and then changed the QPI voltage and that did it.

Oh and I updated the BIOS to ver. 0406 but I don't know if this has something to do with it, as I did it before I got the advice with the QPI voltage.

• Corsair Employee

Yes and to be clear you get the latest BIOS then go to BIOS setup and do these steps:

1. Most Important LOAD SETUP Defaults from the Exit menu (NOT the short cut keys).

2. Then Enable XMP Profile 1

3. Set the QPI Voltage to 1.4-1.7 Volts Depends on the CPU some will run with lower voltage some will take more. (Most will run at 1.5-1.6 Volts)

But leave the memory Voltage on XMP

Exit the BIOS saving Changes and then run http://www.memtest.org and you should be good to go!

You only need to do this if it will not run stable with XMP enabled, other wise just use the XMP Settings.

Yes and to be clear you get the latest BIOS then go to BIOS setup and do these steps:

1. Most Important LOAD SETUP Defaults from the Exit menu (NOT the short cut keys).

2. Then Enable XMP Profile 1

3. Set the QPI Voltage to 1.4-1.7 Volts Depends on the CPU some will run with lower voltage some will take more. (Most will run at 1.5-1.6 Volts)

But leave the memory Voltage on XMP

Exit the BIOS saving Changes and then run http://www.memtest.org and you should be good to go!

You only need to do this if it will not run stable with XMP enabled, other wise just use the XMP Settings.

Oh, I did that without the new BIOS and it seems to work fine, I did memtest and no errors were reported. But when I ran CPU-Z, it said the DRAM frequency was 801.8 MHz, shouldn't it say 1600?

Do I still need to update the BIOS even if it runs stable because I was always told to never update the BIOS unless absolutely necessary

Archived