Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394888
Blizzie Reputation: 10
Default TW3X4G1600C9DHX on BlackOps

Hi all,

I've been tweaking my RAM with my motherboard for two days now with no avail.

I'm currently trying to run TW3X4G1600C9DHX on a Foxconn BlackOps. This board uses a 1:4 divider for the memory so running my Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz brings my RAM to the stock 1600 MHz. The problem is that it won't run at stock -- it seems to crash at ~1425 MHz.

What I did was run memtest86+ at 1400 MHz and it passes. At 1425-1450 I can't POST at all. All I get in a string of continuous beeping. This problem occurs when I have both sticks in or individual sticks. I have tried different slots on my motherboard and have tried different BIOS versions already.

Someone else has reported that this RAM is compatible with the motherboard but that isn't enough proof to insure it is. I'm not sure if my RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394896
DerekT Reputation: 10

Let's test the overclock.
Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->Here and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.
Fully Clear the CMOS. Enter the BIOS. Load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults. Set to the below values:

Code:
Fox Central Control Unit

Fox Intelligent Stepping

Memory Target Frequency = 1600
CPU Frequency Setting = 400
Super Clock Free = Disabled
Intel (R) Speedstep = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 6
CPU Frequency : Memory Speed = Auto
PCIE Frequency Setting = 100
PCI Clock = 33.6

CPU Configuration

C1E Support = Disabled
Hardware Prefecther = Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch = Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech = Enabled
Execute Disable Bit = Enabled
PECI = Disabled

Memory Timing Config

DRAM Timing Selectable = Disabled

DRAM Timing TCL = 9
DRAM Timing TRCD = 9
DRAM Timing TRP = 9
DRAM Timing TRAS = 24
DRAM Timing TWR = Auto
DRAM Timing TRFC = Auto
DRAM Timing TWTR = Auto
DRAM Timing TRRD = Auto
DRAM Timing TRTP = Auto

All Voltage Control (For Testing) 

CPU Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.45v 
Memory Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.80v
NB Voltage Control = VID + X = 1.3v
SB Voltage Control = Default
FSB Voltage Contol = VID + X = 1.35v
Insert a stick of memory in slot 2 (Closest to the CPU) and boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes. Shut the system down and remove the stick, inserting it into slot 3 and retest. Shut the system down and remove the stick. Insert the second stick in slot 1 and retest. You have now tested both stick and both slots in the single channel mode of the memory controller. Finally, insert a stick in slot 2 and slot 4 and memtest for two full passes.

If you find an inconsistencies on my template and your BIOS, please inform me.

Results?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394898

Here are the settings for my BIOS that was posted in Foxconn's support forum.

-------

Quantum BIOS
CPU Clock Ratio Unlock
CPU Clock Ratio
CPU Clock Ratio +0.5x
Target CPU Core Speed
CPU Clock (FSB)
CPU Clock vs Memory Speed
System Memory Speed
CPU Clock skew Control
CPU Clock Amplitude Ctrl
PCI Express Clock
PCI Clock
Spread Spectrum
Over Clock Recovery

CPU Feature
EIST Function
Limit CPUID MaxVal
C1E Function
Execute Disable Bit
Vrtualization Technology
Frequency Unlimit
Core Multi-Processing
Cold Bug Boot Fix

All Voltage Control
CPU Voltage Multiplier
CPU Voltage Setting
CPU Vdroop Compensation

CPU PLL Voltage Setting
Cpu VTT Voltage Setting
Cpu GTL Ref 0. Voltage
Cpu GTL Ref 1. Voltage
Cpu GTL Ref 2. Voltage
Cpu GTL Ref 3. Voltage
NB Voltage Setting
NB GTL Ref Voltage
SB Voltage Setting

DRAM Voltage Setting Auto
DRAM Pull-Up Voltage Auto
DRAM Pull-Down Voltage Auto
DRAM Ref Voltage Auto

Memory Timing Control
ECC Scrubing Auto
Dram Timing Selectable Auto
Cas Latency Time (tCL) Auto
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) Auto
RAS# Precharge (tRP) Auto
Precharge Delay (tRAS) Auto
Row Refresh Cycle (tRFC) Auto
Performance Level Auto
Write to Precharge (tWR) Auto
Write to Read Delay (tWTR) Auto
Act to Act Delay (tRRD) Auto
Read to Precharge (tRTP) Auto
All Precharge to Refresh Auto
Refresh Period Ratio Auto
Refresh Period (tREF) Auto
Command Per Clock Auto
R2RD Same Rank (tRTRD) Auto
R2RD Different Rank (tRTRD) Auto
W2RD Same Rank (tWTRS) Auto
W2RD Different Rank (tWTRS) Auto
FSB Gain 1 Auto
FSB Gain 2 Auto
FSB Gain 3 Auto
FSB Gain 4 Auto
Dimm1 Clock Skew Adjust Auto
Dimm2 Clock Skew Adjust Auto
Dimm3 Clock Skew Adjust Auto
Dimm4 Clock Skew Adjust Auto
Dimm1 Control Skew Adust Auto
Dimm2 Control Skew Adust Auto
Dimm3 Control Skew Adust Auto
Dimm4 Control Skew Adust Auto
Dram 1/2 Command Skew Auto
Dram 3/4 Command Skew Auto

-------

I am going to test with the settings you gave and the instructions. I have already done this with a x6 multi but I will try again.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394904

Okay. I set the frequency, voltages, and timings for RAM. Set the voltages for everything else and set Q6600 multiplier to 6x.

Results:

Stick 1
Slot2: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST
Slot3: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Stick 2

Slot1: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Both sticks
Slot2/4: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

This still does not tell me if the RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad.

Edit:

According to a post made by a Foxconn rep

"54 with beeping
This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it."

I'm getting a 54 error code. No matter how many times I try booting, it beeps continuously.

Last edited by Blizzie; 03-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394906

I would test the memory in another system. Keep in mind that many Q6600's did not make the 400Mhz FSB. What FPO/Batch Number is that CPU? I doubt you have two bad sticks of memory, but I have seen many with Q6600's not make the 400Mhz FSB with stability. Set the memory to 1333Mhz and the FSB at 400Mhz with a 333Mhz strapping.

Do you gain boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzie View Post
Okay. I set the frequency, voltages, and timings for RAM. Set the voltages for everything else and set Q6600 multiplier to 6x.

Results:

Stick 1
Slot2: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST
Slot3: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Stick 2

Slot1: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

Both sticks
Slot2/4: Non-stop beeping; cannot POST

This still does not tell me if the RAM is incompatible or if both sticks are bad.

Edit:

According to a post made by a Foxconn rep

"54 with beeping
This POST Code is a part of the above initial memory configuration and testing Codes, but If the Debug LEDs display 54 with a lot of beeping, it might be something else. When you apply new settings in BIOS and hit save and exit you might get this error. It doesnt NECESSARILY mean that the settings you tried to apply dont work. Keep the power button pressed for 4 seconds to shut the board down - wait 10 seconds - then power the board on again. OC revocery will kick in, enter BIOS but just hit "save and exit" and see if the settings work now. If you get error 54 with beeps again the settings your trying wont work, most likely cause the memory cant take it. Check if the set of memory has been tested by us or any other user, search for topics/threads in the foxconn section about this set of memory to see how other users are configuring it."

I'm getting a 54 error code. No matter how many times I try booting, it beeps continuously.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394908

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
I would test the memory in another system. Keep in mind that many Q6600's did not make the 400Mhz FSB. What FPO/Batch Number is that CPU? I doubt you have two bad sticks of memory, but I have seen many with Q6600's not make the 400Mhz FSB with stability. Set the memory to 1333Mhz and the FSB at 400Mhz with a 333Mhz strapping.

Do you gain boot?
I don't have any other DDR3 motherboards to test the RAM in nor do I know anyone who uses DDR3.

The Q6600 can successfully run at 3.6 GHz stable with a 9x multi. There is no reason why it would fail to reach a FSB of 400 with a 6x multi.

The memory works perfectly at 1333 MHz. It only starts having problems above 1400 MHz.

What do you mean gain boot?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394911

Gain boot means POST (Power on Self Test). You can RMA the memory but I would bet that the issue is the high speed/high density memory and the memory controller. I've seen this too many times.

Since you are certain that you can run with 9 X 400 on that CPU, then you need to isolate the issue. Since you can not isolate hardware as you do not have other hardware to process the isolation, then the best move is to return your memory and try with other memory. If the same issue occurs with other memory of high density and speed, then you have isolated the CPU and the Memory and are left with the memory controller.

Quote:
I don't have any other DDR3 motherboards to test the RAM in nor do I know anyone who uses DDR3.

The Q6600 can successfully run at 3.6 GHz stable with a 9x multi. There is no reason why it would fail to reach a FSB of 400 with a 6x multi.

The memory works perfectly at 1333 MHz. It only starts having problems above 1400 MHz.

What do you mean gain boot?

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394912

Quote:
Gain boot means POST (Power on Self Test). You can RMA the memory but I would bet that the issue is the high speed/high density memory and the memory controller. I've seen this too many times.

Since you are certain that you can run with 9 X 400 on that CPU, then you need to isolate the issue. Since you can not isolate hardware as you do not have other hardware to process the isolation, then the best move is to return your memory and try with other memory. If the same issue occurs with other memory of high density and speed, then you have isolated the CPU and the Memory and are left with the memory controller.
I bought the memory online and that was over a month ago already. It was on sale and I was not able to test it due to college.

People have been successful in running this specific memory at 1600 MHz before on this board. So I'm not sure if both my sticks are bad (I really doubt two sticks come bad..)

Would RMA be the best course of action? I might go to the store to pick up the same RAM and see if that will work. If I get a different set, I would then proceed to sell these Corsairs. I don't want to sell something that has a potential of not working.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394914

You can RMA the memory, but you are not able to test it due to not being able to gain a boot at the appropriate settings. You can not sell back to Corsair but you can return it for another set. I think your memory is not bad because the chances of having two modules report the same non boot issue is very unlikely. You can also buy another set of modules from another manufacturer and see if the issue remains.

Also, because some people are able to make the 1600Mhz with 2GB modules on that board in no way takes away from the fact that many can not. I build the systems and I am telling you that many can not.

Quote:
I bought the memory online and that was over a month ago already. It was on sale and I was not able to test it due to college.

People have been successful in running this specific memory at 1600 MHz before on this board. So I'm not sure if both my sticks are bad (I really doubt two sticks come bad..)

Would RMA be the best course of action? I might go to the store to pick up the same RAM and see if that will work. If I get a different set, I would then proceed to sell these Corsairs. I don't want to sell something that has a potential of not working.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394916

Quote:
You can RMA the memory, but you are not able to test it due to not being able to gain a boot at the appropriate settings. You can not sell back to Corsair but you can return it for another set. I think your memory is not bad because the chances of having two modules report the same non boot issue is very unlikely. You can also buy another set of modules from another manufacturer and see if the issue remains.

Also, because some people are able to make the 1600Mhz with 2GB modules on that board in no way takes away from the fact that many can not. I build the systems and I am telling you that many can not.
I guess the best bet for me is to buy another brand of memory. Then sell my current Corsairs to a buyer with no guarantee's of it working.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394918

I could test it for you if you lived close by, but that's pretty doubtful. However, your chances of having two bad sticks is so high that I don't think that this is the issue. Be certain that the memory you buy can be returned if the issue remains.

I have found another way out of this issue and it is a bit off of the wall. I have found that 2 X 2048 with X38/X48 of high speed ie. 1600Mhz or greater just is a dice thrown and I have yet to find 4 X 1024 of high speed fail on the same platform.

This is why I say that these chipsets do not always play well with high density memories. I tried three different manufacturers models to no avail and when I moved to 4 X 1024, bingo, no problems at all.

Quote:
I guess the best bet for me is to buy another brand of memory. Then sell my current Corsairs to a buyer with no guarantee's of it working.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394919

Quote:
I could test it for you if you lived close by, but that's pretty doubtful. However, your chances of having two bad sticks is so high that I don't think that this is the issue. Be certain that the memory you buy can be returned if the issue remains.

I have found another way out of this issue and it is a bit off of the wall. I have found that 2 X 2048 with X38/X48 of high speed ie. 1600Mhz or greater just is a dice thrown and I have yet to find 4 X 1024 of high speed fail on the same platform.

This is why I say that these chipsets do not always play well with high density memories. I tried three different manufacturers models to no avail and when I moved to 4 X 1024, bingo, no problems at all.
I'm going to try another set for now. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394921

Sure thing.

Good luck and let us know what choice you made and the results.

Quote:
I'm going to try another set for now. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 394957

Quick question. Why does CPU-Z report my RAM with a max bandwidth of 533 MHz?
And why are the timings a bit weird.. Is it really preset for that many?
If 686 MHz is already 9-10-10-26 then how does it make sense that 800 MHz (for 1600) will be 9-9-9-24?...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Blizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395165

Up up.. Anyone?