The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > USB Flash Drives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM

POST ID # = 330613
maltrix Reputation: 10
Default Vista wount use my Voyager 2gb

Ive tried going into systerm32 and copying files to other directories like directed but the best that i get is that it finds USB mass storage device driver but encountered an error trying to install it..

can anyone help me?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM

POST ID # = 330729

bumping please guys any help would be appreciated

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 330769
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would check this link as it seems to be a common issue with Vista
http://teknobabble.**************/200...er-a-solution/
This seems to work as well.
Go to Local Disk (C), got to Windows, got to System32, go to Driverstore, go to Filerepository, go to usbstor.inf ( click on the one that is newest), copy the usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF files. After you have copied the two files got to Windows, inf folder and paste the files in that folder. Now your usb devices (flash drives, hard drives, ipods, etc.) should work.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 04-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 AM

POST ID # = 330861

I am still getting that a error was found and it cant install.. damit could this be from my past attempts at fixing it a file in the wrong spot messing this up?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 330973

Could be please remove anything that is listed for our drive with it plugged in and then once you remove that. Remove everything else that is listed and disconnect all USB Devices and then restart the system it will reinstall the mass storage drivers and if you did the fix that was posted that should solve the problem just connect the devices one at a time and see what happens but make sure all of the Default USB devices are back before you start plugging things back in.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 02-13-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Doogie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 330989
Doogie Reputation: 10
Big Grin Utility to Clean Your OS of USB Drive Information

As you probably know, whenever you plus in a new USB device, Windows stores information about the device in the registry...if there's a problem during the install, then you're stuck with bad information, or you must go through the registry and manually delete all of the information associated with the new device.
There is a nice little utility for deleting all of the information stored in the registry for USB devices that aren't currently plugged into your machine. Follow this link: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page until you see a link to "DriveClean". This utility will remove the registry information for any USB device that isn't plugged into your machine at the time your use it.
If you remove your Voyager and then run the utility, the next time you plug in your Voyager Windows will perform a fresh installation!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 331086

Thank you for posting that Doogie and maltrix please let us know how you make out!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

POST ID # = 331812
auldyin Reputation: 10
Default still can't get voyager gt to work with Vista

My Flash Voyager GT drive works fine with XP but won't work with Vista (32bit) - Windows can't find a driver.

Is there no simple solution for someone who is not comfortable messing around with the basic system software? I did try to follow the solution using the ubstor folder but probably got something wrong - I found files in the folder but didn't find a file named ubstor.inf.

I would not have bought the usb drive if it had not been advertised as compatible with Vista.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM

POST ID # = 331852
Default correction

I did attempt to find "usbstor.inf" not "ubstor.inf" but it did not work.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Doogie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 331865
Woah! Don't "Search"...Look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldyin View Post
I did attempt to find "usbstor.inf" not "ubstor.inf" but it did not work.
You should go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and within that folder you'll SEE folders named “usbstor.inf” but each one will have a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name (this is why just plugging "usbstor.inf" into your search engine doesn't work! Make sure that you're in the "Details" view in File Explorer and then choose the most recent usbstor.inf_****** folder.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM

POST ID # = 332117
Default still problems with driver with Vista

I think I managed to get my latest "usbstor.inf" to the right file and I think I deleted any reference to the Voyager GT driver in the registry but the drive still won't work with Vista.

Comments from Windows were:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error with attempting to install"

"USB Mass Storage Device"

"This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)"

Perhaps I reluctantly accept that the "Flash Voyager GT" will not work with Vista although it is fine with XP.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 332152

Please try the steps again and see if that will correct that problem, and please before you do make sure that you have all of the updates done.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 AM

POST ID # = 332201
Default failed again

Thanks for your interest Ram Guy but I have failed again!

The only difference from what has been described in this thread is that my latest usbstor.inf_8416e98e contains:

USBSTOR.SYS
Usbstor.PNF
usbstor
component.man

and therefore I have only pasted the usbstor.inf_8416e98e into C:\Windows.Inf (Usbstor.PNF is already contained within the usbstor.inf)

I'm not sure what updates you were referring to in your last post?

I hate admitting defeat but I'm fortunate in that I have access to a machine using XP; perhaps I should wait until Corsair or Microsoft find a simple way round the problem. I've never had trouble with a USB drive before and Vista is fine with a number of other makes of USB which have been used on the machine.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Doogie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 332216
Sigh.. Wrong Procedure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldyin View Post
Thanks for your interest Ram Guy but I have failed again!

The only difference from what has been described in this thread is that my latest usbstor.inf_8416e98e contains:

USBSTOR.SYS
Usbstor.PNF
usbstor
component.man

and therefore I have only pasted the usbstor.inf_8416e98e into C:\Windows.Inf (Usbstor.PNF is already contained within the usbstor.inf)

I'm not sure what updates you were referring to in your last post?

I hate admitting defeat but I'm fortunate in that I have access to a machine using XP; perhaps I should wait until Corsair or Microsoft find a simple way round the problem. I've never had trouble with a USB drive before and Vista is fine with a number of other makes of USB which have been used on the machine.
Auldyin...the proceedure you've outlined above is incorrect! You're not suppossed to paste the "usbstor.inf_8416e98e" into the C:\Windows.Inf folder! It is the "usbstor.inf" file within that folder that you should place in the C:\Windows.inf folder.
You mentioned that you couldn't find a file named "usbstor.inf" within the usbstor.inf_8416e98e folder? (I'm assuming that is the newest "usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx" folder?) If that's the case, go to the second newest "usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx" folder within C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and look for "usbstor.inf" file within that folder...copy and paste that file into C:\Windows.inf folder.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM

POST ID # = 332225
Default can't find a usbstor.inf without identification attached

I have found 2 usbstor.inf_*********.

I have already described the contents of the later one in my last post.

The contents of the earlier one were:

component.man
usbstor
USBSTOR.SYS

There is no usbstor.inf that I've been able to find.