Corsair Community

Vista wount use my Voyager 2gb

maltrix

• Corsair Employee

I would check this link as it seems to be a common issue with Vista

http://teknobabble.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/

This seems to work as well.

Go to Local Disk ©, got to Windows, got to System32, go to Driverstore, go to Filerepository, go to usbstor.inf ( click on the one that is newest), copy the usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF files. After you have copied the two files got to Windows, inf folder and paste the files in that folder. Now your usb devices (flash drives, hard drives, ipods, etc.) should work.

• Corsair Employee
Could be please remove anything that is listed for our drive with it plugged in and then once you remove that. Remove everything else that is listed and disconnect all USB Devices and then restart the system it will reinstall the mass storage drivers and if you did the fix that was posted that should solve the problem just connect the devices one at a time and see what happens but make sure all of the Default USB devices are back before you start plugging things back in.

As you probably know, whenever you plus in a new USB device, Windows stores information about the device in the registry...if there's a problem during the install, then you're stuck with bad information, or you must go through the registry and manually delete all of the information associated with the new device.

There is a nice little utility for deleting all of the information stored in the registry for USB devices that aren't currently plugged into your machine. Follow this link: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page until you see a link to "DriveClean". This utility will remove the registry information for any USB device that isn't plugged into your machine at the time your use it. :biggrin:

If you remove your Voyager and then run the utility, the next time you plug in your Voyager Windows will perform a fresh installation! :biggrin:

My Flash Voyager GT drive works fine with XP but won't work with Vista (32bit) - Windows can't find a driver.

Is there no simple solution for someone who is not comfortable messing around with the basic system software? I did try to follow the solution using the ubstor folder but probably got something wrong - I found files in the folder but didn't find a file named ubstor.inf.

I would not have bought the usb drive if it had not been advertised as compatible with Vista.

I did attempt to find "usbstor.inf" not "ubstor.inf" but it did not work.

You should go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and within that folder you'll SEE folders named “usbstor.inf” but each one will have a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name (this is why just plugging "usbstor.inf" into your search engine doesn't work! Make sure that you're in the "Details" view in File Explorer and then choose the most recent usbstor.inf_****** folder.

I think I managed to get my latest "usbstor.inf" to the right file and I think I deleted any reference to the Voyager GT driver in the registry but the drive still won't work with Vista.

Comments from Windows were:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error with attempting to install"

"USB Mass Storage Device"

"This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)"

Perhaps I reluctantly accept that the "Flash Voyager GT" will not work with Vista although it is fine with XP.

Thanks for your interest Ram Guy but I have failed again!

The only difference from what has been described in this thread is that my latest usbstor.inf_8416e98e contains:

USBSTOR.SYS

Usbstor.PNF

usbstor

component.man

and therefore I have only pasted the usbstor.inf_8416e98e into C:\Windows.Inf (Usbstor.PNF is already contained within the usbstor.inf)

I'm not sure what updates you were referring to in your last post?

I hate admitting defeat but I'm fortunate in that I have access to a machine using XP; perhaps I should wait until Corsair or Microsoft find a simple way round the problem. I've never had trouble with a USB drive before and Vista is fine with a number of other makes of USB which have been used on the machine.

Thanks for your interest Ram Guy but I have failed again!

The only difference from what has been described in this thread is that my latest usbstor.inf_8416e98e contains:

USBSTOR.SYS

Usbstor.PNF

usbstor

component.man

and therefore I have only pasted the usbstor.inf_8416e98e into C:\Windows.Inf (Usbstor.PNF is already contained within the usbstor.inf)

I'm not sure what updates you were referring to in your last post?

I hate admitting defeat but I'm fortunate in that I have access to a machine using XP; perhaps I should wait until Corsair or Microsoft find a simple way round the problem. I've never had trouble with a USB drive before and Vista is fine with a number of other makes of USB which have been used on the machine.

Auldyin...the proceedure you've outlined above is incorrect! You're not suppossed to paste the "usbstor.inf_8416e98e" into the C:\Windows.Inf folder! It is the "usbstor.inf" file within that folder that you should place in the C:\Windows.inf folder.

You mentioned that you couldn't find a file named "usbstor.inf" within the usbstor.inf_8416e98e folder? (I'm assuming that is the newest "usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx" folder?) If that's the case, go to the second newest "usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx" folder within C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and look for "usbstor.inf" file within that folder...copy and paste that file into C:\Windows.inf folder. :biggrin:

I have found 2 usbstor.inf_*********.

I have already described the contents of the later one in my last post.

The contents of the earlier one were:

component.man

usbstor

USBSTOR.SYS

There is no usbstor.inf that I've been able to find.

:confused:

I have found 2 usbstor.inf_*********.

I have already described the contents of the later one in my last post.

The contents of the earlier one were:

component.man

usbstor

USBSTOR.SYS

There is no usbstor.inf that I've been able to find.

This could possibly a file extension issue? Try to copy and paste the "usbstor" file (from the usbstor.inf_8416e98e folder you found earlier) into C:\Windows.Inf. then follow the rest of the procedure as it is written in http://teknobabble.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/

Keep us posted ;):

I followed your suggestion but no difference I'm afraid.

Here's a quote from a post on http://teknobabble.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/

Dec 28th KIM: "I can’t find a usbstor.inf file just the .pnf.

If I just direct it to the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository during installation, it tells me that it found the driver software for my device but encoutered an error."

Dec 31st KIM: "I saw on another website that a user’s .inf file didn’t have the .inf in its name (i.e. no inf file extension, similar to what you're seeing Auldyin). I copied the .inf, .pnf and.sys files to the the specifed folder and voila!"

So, Kim copied everything from within her usbstor.inf_******** folder to the C:\Windows\Inf folder!

I managed to gain access to another machine running Vista (Home Premium) and the Flash Voyager GT drive worked fine! I did notice in passing that that machine did not appear to have a usbstor.inf file.

On my machine running Vista (Home Basic) I still get the same error messages as before despite trying Kim's solution. (If I connect the GT before starting up the machine, I get an invalid system disk comment on startup and have to remove the drive to allow startup to take place.)

The only unusual thing I have noticed on my machine is that on startup I'm getting a System Event Notification Failure - I think this arose after the latest Windows update.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed the advice I was given eventually by Ram Guy to do nothing further as the problem was probably Vista related and today I attached the drive and it worked! There must have been a Vista update of some sort which provided a solution.

The only strange thing now is that there is still an invalid disk comment if the drive is attached before starting up the machine. I will make sure it is not attached until after startup.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions as to how to overcome the problem:laughing:.

• 3 weeks later...
@RAM GUY: Can you write how run Corsair Voyager 2GB on Windows Vista. I tried anything what You write here and nothing help even latest update from Microsoft Update. I don't install SP1 for Vista because there is only beta version. You write your phone number but I can’t call for this number because I'm from Poland. I write to help desk Corsair but I don’t have any answer. Please help.

Archived