Corsair Community

Vengeance LED Lighting Issues on Z270

czonin

I've seen a couple other threads talking about issues with the lighting controls on Vengeance LED memory on X99 boards but haven't found much on support for Z270. Right now i'm using 2x 8GB sticks on my ASUS Z270E and can only control one of the sticks lighting, with the other stick just always being off. Anyone know if there will be an update to support the new platform?

I suspect the Z270 PCH SMbus runs at 100KHz rather than the 356KHz the IMC SMBuses run at on X99 systems so suspect there is a chance is will work, but I don't know why there are all the issues on Z170 so don't really know.

If you dump the SMBus what get's reported when compared to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874699? Post a screen shot and I suspect I could comment further.

I suspect the X270 PCH SMbus runs at 100KHz rather than the 356KHz the IMC SMBuses run at on X99 systems so suspect there is a chance is will work, but I don't know why there are all the issues on Z170 so don't really know.

If you dump the SMBus what get's reported when compared to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874699? Post a screen shot and I suspect I could comment further.

Thanks for the quick reply! Is this what you're looking for?

smbbus.PNG.bf6a2d886cc4a0fceba303455121f58d.PNG

Is this what you're looking for?

Yes, SIV read the first 16 bytes OK so I think the hardware is working. If you press [ 0_59 ] + [ 0_5B ] does SIV show all 256 (0x100) bytes? Assuming it does then I see no reason as to why CL4 can't control both sets of DIMM LEDs. If the Corsair documentation specified the LED control registers it would take me less then an hour to get SIV to control them.

I think offset 1 may be the firmware revision so your DIMMs may have later firmware. This is also the reason SIV 5.15 did not report DDR4 LED and SIV 5.16 Beta-01 (do Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta to get it) and later should.

Please will you post the SIV initial + [status] screens so I can see how well SIV reports your motherboard?

attachment.php?attachmentid=27379&d=1485219758

attachment.php?attachmentid=26710&d=1475961793

Yes, SIV read the first 16 bytes OK so I think the hardware is working. If you press [ 0_59 ] + [ 0_5B ] does SIV show all 256 (0x100) bytes? Assuming it does then I see no reason as to why CL4 can't control both sets of DIMM LEDs. If the Corsair documentation specified the LED control registers it would take me less then an hour to get SIV to control them.

I think offset 1 may be the firmware revision so your DIMMs may have later firmware. This is also the reason SIV 5.15 did not report DDR4 LED and SIV 5.16 Beta-01 (do Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta to get it) and later should.

Please will you post the SIV initial + [status] screens so I can see how well SIV reports your motherboard?

Attached are all of the screens.

0_5B.PNG.e64735b534fd84f77b8a72e195b12e08.PNG

0_59.PNG.a686bcdebff64e9cf0e647bc3dc4b46d.PNG

initial.thumb.PNG.db2b32515f6a01dc9d0f06420078fa62.PNG

status.thumb.PNG.3c60474ee8594672f0a55500e4e329bf.PNG

Attached are all of the screens.

Looking at the full DIMM LED dumps, then SIV had no issues at all interacting with them. If Corsair would provide me with the datasheet I suspect I would have SIV controlling them later today!

I am pretty sure that the Z270 support is as good as the Z170 support and maybe one day Corsair will fix CL4 for both :o:.

SIV reported the Z270E as well as I hoped it would and I suspect rather better than CL 4.3.0.154 does.

I guess CAM was running which is why SIV did not report values for the Kraken, which model is it please? Were you to exit CAM SIV may do better, if not then I would need you to do SIV64X -DBGAIO and post SIV_DBGOUT.log to give me a chance of fixing this.

Looking at the full DIMM LED dumps, then SIV had no issues at all interacting with them. If Corsair would provide me with the datasheet I suspect I would have SIV controlling them later today!

I am pretty sure that the Z270 support is as good as the Z170 support and maybe one day Corsair will fix CL4 for both :o:.

SIV reported the Z270E as well as I hoped it would and I suspect rather better than CL 4.2.0.154 does.

I guess CAM was running which is why SIV did not report values for the Kraken, which model is it please? Were you to exit CAM SIV may do better, if not then I would need you to do SIV64X -DBGAIO and post SIV_DBGOUT.log to give me a chance of fixing this.

That would be great if you could get it working! Thanks again for the help. CAM is running for my X52. How would I get the SIV_DBGOUT.log?

attachment.php?attachmentid=27388&d=1485264899

I have just noticed SIV is reporting impossible GPU fan speeds (~8,000,000 RPM :eek:) for your GTX 980 Ti. Which driver version do you have installed (see top of Menu->Machine->GPU Info). I suspect this is down to a bug in the NVidia driver and all utilities will report silly speeds, does CL4 report the same speed as SIV?

I have just installed V378.49 (r378_48) on this W7 system and all my GTX 980s report as expected as do the GTX 680s on another W7 system.

CAM is running for my X52. How would I get the SIV_DBGOUT.log?

First you MUST exit CAM and then issue the command:

SIV64X -DBGAIO > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE

After SIV has been running for 10 seconds exit it and send me the generated SIV_DBGOUT.log file.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27389&stc=1&d=1485272630

NZXT keep saying they will send me an X52, but as yet one has not arrived :sigh!:

1949946933_SIV64X-DBGAIO.png.904e2b6b97ea6dd5c3deafdc56bf5acf.png

First you MUST exit CAM and then issue the command:

SIV64X -DBGAIO > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE

After SIV has been running for 10 seconds exit it and send me the generated SIV_DBGOUT.log file.

NZXT keep saying they will send me an X52, but as yet one has not arrived :sigh!:

The 980ti fan speed might be due to me having a Corsair H55 hooked up to it.

Attached is the log. I had to zip it since the forums wouldn't let me upload the log for some reason.

SIV_DBGOUT.zip

The 980ti fan speed might be due to me having a Corsair H55 hooked up to it.

Maybe, but what fan speed does CAM or CL4 report for it and which NVidia driver version do you have. I have just installed V378.49 (r378_48) on my W10 RS2 Build 15014 system and all 3 x GTX 680 are as they should be.

Kraken @ 10:52:40.304 seq 02 ->

Kraken @ 10:52:40.372 seq 02 1784 = WriteFile( 000000000000047C, 0000000001FEB530, 0 ) The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.

Thank you. Oops, SIV is trying to write zero bytes rather than skipping the write operation :o:. Beta-03 may do better, watch this space...

Beta-03 may do better, watch this space...

Rather than releasing Beta-03 I felt a test version would be appropriate.

Please drop the attached NZXT-03 test version over the top of the Beta-02 and generate a new SIV_DBGOUT.log and post Menu->Tools->Link Status.

Rather than releasing Beta-03 I felt a test version would be appropriate.

Please drop the attached NZXT-03 test version over the top of the Beta-02 and generate a new SIV_DBGOUT.log and post Menu->Tools->Link Status.

I have the fan set to a constant 85% through afterburner, i'll double check on the RPM.

Attached is the new log and link status.

link_status.thumb.PNG.ca3949773587b980bcd9bb9ca2173892.PNG

SIV_DBGOUT.zip

attachment.php?attachmentid=27392&d=1485278343

Thank you. Wow it worked! I suspected it might take a couple more attempts, but all the tricky bits just worked :cool:. If you hover the mouse over NZXT USB Cooler Device (#0) what does the tool tip report? With luck the bridge firmware Revision should be there.

How do the values compare to what CAM reports please?

I will tidy up a few things and probably release Beta-03 within 24 hours.

Thank you. Wow it worked! I suspected it might take a couple more attempts, but all the tricky bits just worked :cool:. If you hover the mouse over NZXT USB Cooler Device (#0) what does the tool tip report? With link the bridge firmware Revision should be there.

How do the values compare to what CAM reports please?

I will tidy up a few things and probably release Beta-03 within 24 hours.

The values seem to be the same as in CAM.

Attached is the tool tip from SIV.

tooltip.PNG.7453f26238faf821bc4d026da08b8d87.PNG

Thank you, all is as I hoped :biggrin:. Next I need to add control, but will need to have an X52 here so I can test it.

No problem! So this next beta version of SIV will hopefully allow me to control the LED's on the memory?

So this next beta version of SIV will hopefully allow me to control the LED's on the memory?

No, Corsair will not provide any information and thus far I have not managed to reverse engineer how to do this.

It's easy enough to deduce how to read things, but controlling them is orders of magnitude trickier when you don't have the datasheet.

If Corsair would provide me with the datasheet I suspect I would have SIV controlling them later today!

No, Corsair will not provide any information and thus far I have not managed to reverse engineer how to do this.

It's easy enough to deduce how to read things, but controlling them is orders of magnitude trickier when you don't have the datasheet.

Got it. Ya, hopefully they release some kind of update for the new platform then.

It's rather irksome that Corsair decline to provide any datasheets as the SIV code is so close and yet so far. Most of the code is basically the same as for controlling the CL Mini LEDs and I just need to add the Corsair DIMM LED write function which I expect will be < 20 lines of C :nodding:.

The BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG DIMMs on this system have LEDs and SIV can display the current colour, but again I don't know what I need to do to change the colour :brick:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27395&stc=1&d=1485288402

1696304217_Socloseandyetsofar.thumb.png.87d0e18358bdc1bc9f2641688ab30946.png

hopefully they release some kind of update for the new platform then.

Does CL4 report the LEDs on Z270 at all? If not then I suspect a later C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\cpuidsdk.dll is needed. The one that ships with CL 4.3.0.154 is ancient which means I get issues on my system that a later version fixed. I expect the CPUID SDK guys have provided Corsair with one that supports Kaby Lake/Z270 and suspect if Corsair offered it as a download then things would instantly improve.

The CPUID SDK that comes with CL 4.3.0.154 is ancient and as a result my DIMMs and NVMe Disks still don't get reported. Why was such an old CPUID SDK released?

What things does CL4 allow you to change? Please post the CL4 LED configuration panel.

I was pondering reverse engineering what all the registers are. If you press the [Timer] on the [n_xx ] panels they will update every 5 seconds and highlight any changes. Does anything change? What about if you use CL4 to change from say flashing to static? Note I suspect the device only has 32 registers and these are repeated 8 times, but the odd value may be different as the reads happen at different times.

BTW SIV 5.16 Beta-03 is now there so please update if you already haven't.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27399&stc=1&d=1485334025attachment.php?attachmentid=27385&d=1485264884

1372916126_TheCPUIDSDKisveryold.png.6dbf12820f2d55de13c731861e6fd7f6.png

Does CL4 report the LEDs on Z270 at all? If not then I suspect a later C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\cpuidsdk.dll is needed. The one that ships with CL 4.3.0.154 is ancient which means I get issues on my system that a later version fixed. I expect the CPUID SDK guys have provided Corsair with one that supports Kaby Lake/Z270 and suspect if Corsair offered it as a download then things would instantly improve.

What things does CL4 allow you to change? Please post the CL4 LED configuration panel.

I was pondering reverse engineering what all the registers are. If you press the [Timer] on the [n_xx ] panels they will update every 5 seconds and highlight any changes. Does anything change? What about if you use CL4 to change from say flashing to static? Note I suspect the device only has 32 registers and these are repeated 8 times, but the odd value may be different as the reads happen at different times.

BTW SIV 5.16 Beta-03 is now there so please update if you already haven't.

Attached is a screenshot of CL4. I am able to change the lighting to static/default which works, but only on one stick.

I tried the timer on SIV but I didn't see anything change.

cl4.thumb.PNG.8adce14440c13f23601bb1c8e91332ea.PNG

I tried the timer on SIV but I didn't see anything change.

Thank you for checking and it's helpful to know that CL4 finds one DIMM LED. This means the CPUIDSDK.dll must knows about the Z270 PCH SMBus controller :biggrin:. In SIV the Z170 and Z270 code is the same code and I expect the same is the case for the CPUIDSDK so both will have the same issues. It's a PITA that Corsair will not give you a fixed CPUIDSDK :(:.

Are you sure you were looking at the same DIMM LED as CL4 changed? What state is the one you can't control in? Can you set the other one to be different and post the two [ 0_5x ] 256 byte dumps. If you change from static 100% to static 50% and press [update] does this highlight anything?

Note with [Refresh] this highlights the latest changes and [update] does all changes.

Thank you for checking and it's helpful to know that CL4 finds one DIMM LED. This means the CPUIDSDK.dll must knows about the Z270 PCH SMBus controller :biggrin:. In SIV the Z170 and Z270 code is the same code and I expect the same is the case for the CPUIDSDK so both will have the same issues. It's a PITA that Corsair will not give you a fixed CPUIDSDK :(:.

Are you sure you were looking at the same DIMM LED as CL4 changed? What state is the one you can't control in? Can you set the other one to be different and post the two [ 0_5x ] 256 byte dumps. If you change from static 100% to static 50% and press [update] does this highlight anything?

Note with [Refresh] this highlights the latest changes and [update] does all changes.

You're right. The one that I can't control is just off. No changes in CL4 have any effect on it. So attached are screens from the working stick. There is a change in SIV from 100% brightness to 50%.

50.PNG.eb15384205dc09d76d2895ed3c16d687.PNG

100.PNG.cb3db686b0686b73c8738518c5e3655d.PNG

50% is 0x20

attachment.php?attachmentid=27421&d=1485373222

100% is 0x00

attachment.php?attachmentid=27422&d=1485373224

Thank you, I wonder if we can reverse engineer how to change the LEDs... So far 100% -> 0x00 and 50% -> 0x20.

Does 0% turn the LEDs off, what value is that. 25% + 75% + 95% + 99% should be enough for me to deduce the mapping from % to raw value to write.

If you can get some more mappings I can create a SIV what will write the appropriate value to offset zero and we can see what happens. If it works I suspect SIV will be able to change both your DIMM LEDs and up to 16 for those that have that many.

Would you like to try an experimental SIV that does this? If so then e-mail me (better still Skype me) and I can tell you what to do as I don't wish this to be made public for the moment. I will also need to create a test version of SIV64X.exe for you to try.

I guess it would also be good to know what changes when flashing is enabled as this may need to be disabled. How many modes are there?

Archived