Corsair Community

Sleep/Standby issues (K95)

ATIdude

I just installed my new RGB K95 and it replaced my old Logitach G15.

Now that I have it whenever I put my computer to sleep all the lights on the keyboard will stay lit. In addition, I can no longer use my keyboard to wake the computer as I did before. Also, I am using 2 USB 2.0 ports if it matters.

I checked in device manager under keyboards, but didn't find any that had the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option.

I don't think it is a BIOS setting as neither of these things were an issue with my previous Logitech keyboard.

Any thoughts or things you suggest I look into?

Thanks.

Software/Drivers break after resuming from standby. So I cant use any of my G keys or change profiles via M buttons.

This is really frustrating.

I am going to open a case with support being as nobody here has any ideas. I can't believe there are not others with this same issue...

After talking with support they told me the intended design was to have the LEDs always on. That to me is insane. So now whether my computer is on, in standby, or off the LEDs on my keyboard are always on.

That is extremely annoying.

I got the same answer... ridiculous. Who does that? I have never owned a keyboard with that behavior. The LED's have a pre-determined lifetime.

Did they give you an answer on waking the PC using the keyboard? I still can't do that either.

Their answer was:

You may need to press the Esc or Enter key to wake the keyboard.

Still nothing works. So far the support has been 100% useless. Each time he would only answer a part of my questions.

I am blown away that nobody else is finding the constant LED on an issue??!!

• Corsair Employee

Hi Atidude,

We are resolving the issue where the keyboard won't wake from sleep in the next update so a fix is coming for that. As for the LED's staying on, it has to do with USB power still being supplied to the keyboard. If the LED is a nuisance, you can still use the dimmer button to turn it off.

Well, logging of and switching users often results in a keyboard with lights turned off.....What is annoying for typing the PW. On the other hand after shutting the system down the lights stay on, what is a little annoying too... - so what was the intended design again...?

Corsair James,

Appreciate the response. Do you know when the next update is releasing?

Also, with regard to the lights remaining on, many other keyboards are able to turn their backlighting off when the computer goes to sleep. I can only assume that the USB port supplies power in those situations as well. It should be user selectable in the software whether the lights stay on or not. If an $80 dollar keyboard can automatically turn off backlighting, a $180 keyboard should be able to as well.

Hi Atidude,

We are resolving the issue where the keyboard won't wake from sleep in the next update so a fix is coming for that. As for the LED's staying on, it has to do with USB power still being supplied to the keyboard. If the LED is a nuisance, you can still use the dimmer button to turn it off.

Seriously thats your answer for a £159 keyboard? My Cyborg V7 switched off all illumination once I shut down my PC. If the firmware does not fix this I think I will be sending the keyboard back.

I am a big Corsair fan but this K95 RGB is seriously making me rethink brand loyalty.

Hi Atidude,

My K65 has this LED issue and many others.

Am I the only one here that sees the irony in the fact that they can't get the lights to turn off while the keyboard is getting USB power, but they can't get the keyboard to wake the computer up while it's getting USB power? :brick:

• Corsair Employee
Seriously thats your answer for a £159 keyboard? My Cyborg V7 switched off all illumination once I shut down my PC. If the firmware does not fix this I think I will be sending the keyboard back.

I am a big Corsair fan but this K95 RGB is seriously making me rethink brand loyalty.

It is not an optimal solution, but a workaround does work at the moment. If that is the only reason why you dislike the keyboard, I don't have anything else to share with you.

• Corsair Employee
My K65 has this LED issue and many others.

Am I the only one here that sees the irony in the fact that they can't get the lights to turn off while the keyboard is getting USB power, but they can't get the keyboard to wake the computer up while it's getting USB power? :brick:

These are both issues we're looking into resolving. There are a lot of factors with why it isn't working out of the box and unfortunately, most of it isn't so much our design. An example of this is some manufacturers for some of their keyboards are not following USB specifications while we do. This means that it is left up to us to implement a workaround to accommodate it, and hence why users like yourselves get frustrated.

Hi Atidude,

The dimmer switch stops working a few seconds after the system goes to sleep on my K70.

Have you considered a software solution to this? Could the automatic profile switching be set up in future updates to detect when the system is entering sleep and switch to a profile (i.e. all backlighting turned off or gentle pulsing like Apple used to have on power LEDs in sleep mode)?

Hi Atidude,

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Why is this not an issue with other manufactures keyboards then (USB Power)? Their LEDs turned off when I shut down or entered standby.

The dimmer button does not affect the numlock, capslock, scroll lock lights. Those are ALWAYS on. That is what I do not like.

The dimmer switch stops working a few seconds after the system goes to sleep on my K70.

That is REALLY annoying. I now have to remember to dim my keyboard before I enter standby. After I enter standby none of the buttons to a damn thing.

I was going to use a G key to change profile and enter standby all at once, but alas you cannot bind more than one thing to a key.

The keyboard is AMAZING otherwise, but the lack of standby wake support and the always on LEDs are a HUGE flaw that should have never made it into the final product.

• 3 weeks later...
I received my K65 RGB on Friday and noticed that I couldn't wake from sleep mode, couldn't access my BIOS, and the LEDs stay lit when the machine is in sleep mode. Along with the buggy software, I had no choice but to return it. Bummer since the keyboard is really beautiful. But really I don't think this thing is ready for prime time... :sigh!:

These are both issues we're looking into resolving. There are a lot of factors with why it isn't working out of the box and unfortunately, most of it isn't so much our design. An example of this is some manufacturers for some of their keyboards are not following USB specifications while we do. This means that it is left up to us to implement a workaround to accommodate it, and hence why users like yourselves get frustrated.

And yet the K70 (non-RGB) behaves exactly as it should - lights off with the computer is asleep and one tap of a key wakes the computer. Did Corsair follow USB specifications on the original K70?

• Corsair Employee
And yet the K70 (non-RGB) behaves exactly as it should - lights off with the computer is asleep and one tap of a key wakes the computer. Did Corsair follow USB specifications on the original K70?

The Vengeance K70 has different hardware and power requirements so it was easier to accommodate the varying levels of enumeration.

To answer your question directly though, we do follow the USB specifications on our products (mice, keyboards, headset, etc.). The problem though is when third party USB controllers, or motherboard manufacturers in an effort to add features to the USB controller, go outside of a spec. This difficulty is multiplied even further with all the different customizable BIOS versions on varying boards from the same manufacturer.

The only consistent workaround (until we can address it via a firmware update) is to enable ErP in the BIOS which will deactivate the LEDs after a minute or so into sleep. However, I also recommend any type of "phone charging" mode be disabled as well since the power being fed into the keyboard will start the demo mode. We may disable the demo mode though in the future if no one wants it active.

I have come up with a workaround to this issue that has improved this situation for me. I noticed that the keyboard has the behavior of using the profile loaded in the device memory when the pc is in sleep. By creating a profile with all the backlighting turned off, and loading it into the device, my keyboard now goes dark when the PC goes to sleep.

I have been using this configuration for a couple of days and it has worked flawlessly.

• 1 month later...
Just ordered this from Amazon.com (OOS and expected delivery isn't until February 11th so plenty of time to cancel if I have a change of heart) and wanted to know if this keyboard still has the issue of not waking the system up from Standby upon key press or has that also been resolved in the updated firmware/software? Since my mouse sometimes won't wake the system up, I sometimes rely on the keyboard and if this model still has issues with that I'd probably look elsewhere for a new keyboard. Thanks for any help.

Archived