Corsair Community

HX 620 Noise with GPU Load

MonocleFox

Hi there. I have a Corsair HX 620W PSU and have recently moved it to a new system with the specs listed in my profile. All seemed to be fine but a few days later I am starting to hear a high pitched sound, quite faint but distinct.

Originally I thought this was the GPU because the only time the sound emits is when the GPU is under stress. If I have a game in the background, for example, the noise disappears, but when it is in the foreground the sound kicks off.

On closer inspection and doing my best to narrow where the sound is originating, it seems to largely be coming from the PSU. I did try changing some of the settings recommended in this topic such as enabling vsync but it made no difference.

The PSU has a five year warranty and is currently around 3 to 4 years old. It should be possible to submit an RMA request. Which leads me to a few questions:

1) Is this really an issue to be concerned about?

2) Is it likely to indicate there may be future problems?

3) Will the RMA process leave me without a PSU for a number of days? (I am UK based)

1) Is this really an issue to be concerned about?

It nothing to be concerned about.Slight coil whine with GPU stress is common, but it shouldn't so loud that is overpowering to your hearing. And since everyone perceives sound differently it's difficult really judge in text. :P But it shouldn't be loud enough to be a bother. If it , request an RMA

2) Is it likely to indicate there may be future problems?

I seriously doubt it. Coil whine comes from a coil copper wire inside the PSU thst hums or whine like that when under higher stress. It's a PIA sometimes just from a sound standpoint, but harmless.

3) Will the RMA process leave me without a PSU for a number of days? (I am UK based)

You can call CS by phone and request an RMA. They will send you a new PSU before you need to send the old. But you will need to call they can only be set up that way because there is no access to that system from tech support.

Other than that normal RMA process is about 2 weeks or really 14 buisness days turn around time across seas. They say 3-7 business days here in the US and you can safely add a few days over seas

Being overseas you can install SKYPE and use n that to call the toll free number for nothing. Just dont forget the time difference.:P If you unsure if they are open, just check the top header of the forums ,they are posted there

Archived