Corsair Community

HXi SATA and PATA cables (TXM/HX/AXi vs Type 3)

NPuter

agree'd.. there is a whole RGB eco system out there based on 5v for Corsair.. right now.. not even the Flag ship AX1600i can power the Flag ship 1000d.. that zero RPM silent operation is the first to go...

for me... i have an RM1000i.. and lighting condition dependent the psu fan is louder than my 32 LL fans! i can hear it over them easily, so to counter this i have to turn brightness down and avoid certain colors. not something i wanted to do tbf.....

I agree with Zotty on this. I went the extra mile of purchasing AX1600i because I thought it would solve the 5v. My fault for not doing proper research on it tho.

All lighting on my peripherals and 32 QL's need to be reduced to 25% to get Zero RPM.

agree'd.. there is a whole RGB eco system out there based on 5v for Corsair.. right now.. not even the Flag ship AX1600i can power the Flag ship 1000d with a stock count of LL fans and all the bells and whistles.. that zero RPM silent operation is the first to go...

for me... i have an RM1000i.. and lighting condition dependent the psu fan is louder than my 32 LL fans! i can hear it over them easily, so to counter this i have to turn brightness down and avoid certain colors. not something i wanted to do tbf.....

Kinda takes away from having rgb if you can't do all the colors you want to do because the power supply cannot keep up.

Your knowledge is more than adequate in this context.

And the trend for +3.3V and +5V is going down. You'll see that there are already a number of units on the market that only have 100W on the +3.3V and +5V combined. And Intel is trying to get rid of +3.3V and +5V altogether with the ATX12VO standard, which taps the board for +5V regulation if you want to run SATA drives that aren't M.2.

Yeah, I've seen this and a pox on Intel's house for this!!

That said, it's my understanding that this is targeted more towards pre-builts and less in the enthusiast space. And, as we've seen here on the forum more than once, PSU compatibility with a pre-built (a la HP, Dell, etc) is a cr*p shoot at best.

Now, I know that you say "edge case" ... it doesn't have to be every PSU that does this. But having a line/series/model of PSU that is specifically for RGB systems that has the higher rated 5V rail will, I think, sell quite well. Think of how well all of the Corsair RGB fans sell. Now, with a line of PSUs with, say, 1000W, 1200W and 1500W available with the higher 5V rail ... you'd charge a premium for this and probably get it.

• Corsair Employee

Now, I know that you say "edge case" ... it doesn't have to be every PSU that does this. But having a line/series/model of PSU that is specifically for RGB systems that has the higher rated 5V rail will, I think, sell quite well. Think of how well all of the Corsair RGB fans sell. Now, with a line of PSUs with, say, 1000W, 1200W and 1500W available with the higher 5V rail ... you'd charge a premium for this and probably get it.

Corsair makes AX1000+5V to address RGB needs.

Customer buys regular AX1000 instead.

Customer can't do 100% white LEDs.

Calls support. Complains.

Customer gets AX1000+5V as replacement for no additional cost.

Profit?!?!

Corsair makes AX1000+5V to address RGB needs.

Customer buys regular AX1000 instead.

Customer can't do 100% white LEDs.

Calls support. Complains.

Customer gets AX1000+5V as replacement for no additional cost.

Profit?!?!

That's a valid point, but I would say - If customer bought a regular AX1000 when the AX1000+5V was available, and then the customer discovers that what they bought doesn't do what they need - then the customer bought the wrong product.

Any product exchanges should be "like for like" and should be to address a problem with the product originally purchased. In this scenario the product originally purchased is not faulty and Corsair has no obligation to replace it under consumer law.

If, however, Corsair Support, being the good guys that they are (in my experience) CHOOSE to upgrade the product that the customer originally bought, then - without putting too fine a point on it - that's Corsair's lookout !!!!

hoping the example of AX1000i was exactly that, an example.. AX.. premium line.. not everyone is able to justify that premium money. what about the Poorer HXi owners? and the Pleb RMi owners like my self lol...

also.. lets not confuse the white LED situation... that's an example (and an extreme one) to show instantly what happens... users are having to drop brightness anyways as the psu fan will sit in the 500/600 rpm range... White is just a sure fire way of showing how much it can make the fan spin... which can be easily well over 1000 rpm.

not sure if its been said....

this isnt just fans/strips/hydrox leds/CoPro's/NoPros/NoCo's/usb hubs/drives/Ram RGB/AIO RGB/. its the whole picture...

does it plug in via usb internally/externally? its using 5v

so, the below items need to be considered also,

keyboards

mice

mousemats

headset stands

streamdecks

headsets

external hdd's

usb sticks

dongles

the 5v need in a PC PSU isnt going away soon!