Corsair Community

Possible Fix for M65 RGB double-click bug: Needs Mass Testing! (Includes Bug Report)

bignick277

Hi guys. I've been trying many things trying to narrow down the possibilities for the cause of the double-click issue in the M65 RGB mouse. I've been experiencing the same issue obviously. So I've tried many things and have been using the following site for subsequent click testing:

http://textmechanic.com/Online-Tally-Counter.html

Testing methodology: Click at a steady pace counting out loud and watch the counter. If it jumps, the problem still exists. Reset the counter by clicking clear all items.

I've tried the following things trying to narrow down possible causes and testing. All of the following failed to resolve the issue:

Tried different USB ports on different buses.

Tried switching mouse to USB 3.0 interface.

Tried turning off CUE (Corsair Utility Engine)

Even tried setting CUE to not load with windows, turning it off and then rebooting the computer.

Tried changing the polling rate

Tried disconnecting Corsair USB Vengeance Headset and turning off software

Tried turning off other running applications one by one to see if any software running on my computer could be isolated as a possible cause. None made any impact on fault.

Tried disconnecting all other USB devices that could be causing a conflict one by one.

None of these made any discernible difference.

Next I disconnected the mouse from my computer and connected it to my laptop (Which is running Linux Netrunner) and went to the website and continued to test. After several hundred clicks, I could not reproduce the issue on the laptop. So I disconnected it from the laptop and plugged in back on my main computer and tested again. Problem was still there on my main computer.

This means the issue is not likely to be with the mouse itself, but more likely with the CUE software and/or drivers or possibly something more specific to Windows (I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on my main computer).

So I checked the device manager on my computer to ascertain what's currently installed for the mouse on my main computer. Here is the device map:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/bignick277/DeviceManagerBefore.jpg~original

Next I uninstalled the CUE software. Bear in mind, that even if you have the CUE software turned off on your computer and set to not autorun with Windows, there is still a driver component that is installed on your computer for the mouse (installed with CUE) that the computer uses instead of the driver windows automatically installs and uses when you plug the mouse in for the first time and before you install the CUE software. (It is important to bear that in mind to understand what happens next and how that may have an impact on the results of tests following the uninstallation of the CUE software.) During the uninstall process I took note of it uninstalling the drivers for the mouse. Then I checked the install directory to ensure that the CUE software was fully removed from the computer. For the record, the default directory the CUE software and drivers is the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine

Once the CUE was fully uninstalled, I found the CUE software settings and configuration data in the C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming directory and deleted the Corsair folder. I then rebooted the computer again, just to be on the safe side. On boot up I checked the device manager again, and this is the device map I got back:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/bignick277/DeviceManagerAfter.jpg~original

In case it's not apparant, here is an edited screenshot of the before screenshot to highlight the device manager entries that changed after the uninstallation of the CUE software and drivers.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/bignick277/DeviceManagerBeforeDifferences.jpg~original

So I went back to the click counting site and retested. After hundreds of clicks, I have not been able to reproduce the issue. As a result, this seems to have resolved the issue on my mouse.

Here's where things get a little interesting, but it does seem logical given that this issue didn't appear initially until about a couple days "after" I originally set up my mouse.

So I reinstalled the CUE software, rebooted again and retested. I have not as yet, been able to reproduce the issue. But I have gotten some weird results from the CUE software. All of a sudden, when I went to polling speed, it was at 125hz and claimed a mouse malfunction. When I set the mouse back to the correct 1000hz, it refreshed and it no longer claims there's a malfunction. I went to the profile page and changed the profile to the Hardware profile, but now all of a sudden, it's not listing a set setting for right click. And now for that reason, I couldn't right-click. So I reset the hardware profile to reset the default settings. Then I set my custom settings back and saved it to the mouse. Went back to the click testing site and tested again. Still can't reproduce the issue after hundreds of clicks.

Now given, that this issue doesn't seem to surface until a couple days after setup of the mouse through the CUE. And simply reapplying your settings to the mouse seems to have no affect. But completely uninstalling, deleting software configuration and profile data from the C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming directory and reinstalling the CUE software, and then resetting the mouse and re-applying your custom settings does seem to fix the issue. However, and this is the big however. I can not guarantee that the issue will not resurface a couple days of use later if you keep the CUE software installed. The only way to know for sure, is to test thoroughly. And that's why I'm here. The more people who can test, the better.

If you like the CUE software and wish to continue to use it, but are getting the double-click on left issue. Then try the following steps.

1: Fully uninstall the CUE (Corsair Utility Engine) software through Control Panel -> Progams and Features

2: After uninstallation, check to make sure that the CUE software folder was actually removed from the computer. Default Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine

3: Go to C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming folder and delete the Corsair folder. This will remove all of saved software settings and profiles stored on the computer. You should especially do this if you're updating to the newest version of the CUE software.

(Note: The AppData folder in Windows is hidden by default. To get it to show up, press the Alt key on your keyboard to get the explorer options to show (File, Edit, View, etc.). Click Tools -> Folder Options. Click the "View" tab. Under the section labelled "Hidden Files and Folders", select "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives". Click "Apply" and then click "OK". You will now be able to see the AppData folder in your user directory.)

4: Reboot your computer

5: Reinstall the CUE software. Download the latest version that was released over Christmas if you haven't already.

6: After installation, start up the CUE software and in the Device tab of the Settings Section, check to make sure the polling option is set to the correct setting. Default is 1000hz.

7: In the Profile tab, change default listing to HwProfile1 and check to make sure everything is set correctly. If it's not (such as the issue I had where right click's setting mysteriously disappeared), then left click the 3 lines icon next to HwProfile1 and click reset device to defaults. Once this is done, then reapply your preferred settings. If you can find no issues with the HwProfile1, you might be able to skip this step. It's your call of the level of testing you end up wanting to do.

If you are unsure what hardware profile I speak of, you can see what I'm referring to in the following screenshot. It's one of the selectable profiles:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/bignick277/CUE.jpg~original

Note: If you are using the latest version of the CUE software that was released over Christmas and have deleted the Corsair folder from the AppData\Roaming directory, the "Default" profile will now be the profile that allows you to save your profile to the device. The HwProfile1 profile will no longer exist.

8: In the Profile tab, if you prefer to use software profile settings, then do the same as described in step 7, but also do it for your set software profiles. You may actually be able to skip this step, I don't know.

9: Test using the click counting site I highlighted here. If your issue is gone, great, but please post an initial post here saying as much. Then test over the next week through every day use. If the problem stay gone, great. If it comes back, bad luck. In either case, please report your week results here as well, as that is useful data for helping narrow down the cause of this issue.

If you don't care for the CUE software and would rather just use the mouse with your profile settings permanently on the mouse and you've already properly set your hardware profile the way you like it. Then follow these steps.

1: Fully uninstall the CUE (Corsair Utility Engine) software through Control Panel -> Progams and Features

2: After uninstallation, check to make sure that the CUE software folder was actually removed from the computer. Default Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine

3: Go to C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming folder and delete the Corsair folder. This will remove all of saved software settings and profiles stored on the computer. You should especially do this if you're updating to the newest version of the CUE software.

4: Reboot your computer

5: Test using the click counting site I highlighted here. If your issue is gone, great, but please post an initial post here saying as much. Then test over the next week through every day use. If the problem stay gone, great. If it comes back, bad luck. In either case, please report your week results here as well, as that is useful data for helping narrow down the cause of this issue.

Note: In this scenario you will be testing using only the Windows default installed drivers. Not the corsair specific drivers installed by the CUE software.

Analysis of what this could tell us.

For the people who continue to use CUE and followed the instructions exactly. If updating to the latest CUE software by uninstalling the software, and then deleting the old version software profile data by deleting the data from AppData\Roaming. Installing the latest CUE software from the site and then resetting the mouse hardware profile before reconfiguring to your custom profile settings resolves the issue permanently, then this could prove that the issue was in the old software, but needed to be properly wiped clean and everything properly reset and cleared for the issue to be solved. Simply updating the software may not have been enough to solve the problem.

If the issue only seems to be resolved by completely removing the CUE software and deleting the software profile data from AppData\Roaming and then running the mouse using hardware profile you saved to the mouse and then relying exclusively on Windows default HID drivers, then this could point to an issue with the CUE software and/or drivers itself.

If neither of these scenarios resolves the issue, then the issue is most likely in the mouse itself. Either hardware or firmware related, and I we'll just have to wait and rely on Corsair to solve the issue.

If both solutions work as permanent solutions, then this will tell us that the issue is with the old CUE software and needs to be properly removed and cleaned out before installing and using the latest CUE software and mouse hardware properly reset as highlighted in the first solution scenario.

To those reporting results back to this thread, please highlight which solution you are attempting so we know which solution is definitely working and which is definitely not working. Please report back your initial results of whether or not it seems to have resolved the issue for the moment. After protracted use, if the issue comes back, please report it here. If the issue has not reasserted itself after 1 week, please report highlight that here as well. The more information the better. You guys/gals really are going to be the best source of testing data at this point.

I can tell you right now, that I am going testing the first scenario for now. I may not like keeping the CUE software running at all times and prefer to run exclusively from hardware saved custom profiles, but I do like having the software installed so I can change the hardware settings at will, without having to constantly reinstall and uninstall the CUE software. If the issue comes back and persists, I will switch to testing the second scenario. But for the moment, for me at least, the issue seems to be resolved. I will report back if the issue returns and if it doesn't.

OK guys. This is the best I can do for the moment. Until I can do more testing, there's not much more information I can provide at this point. But if this helps all of you and helps Corsair with a tangible direction to look at for actually fixing this issue or how to advise people who report this issue in the future, then that would just be great for everyone. Looking forward to seeing all of your results. I'll be reporting back when I have more results. I hope this helps and good luck :D:

Edited by bignick277
  • Confused 2

If the problem didn't go away from simply uninstalling the software (as it did in my case), you may need to actually fully reset the mouse as well. So I would suggest doing the following steps next.

1. You've said that you deleted the roaming folder... Good start

2. Ensure the installation directory is gone as well. C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine

3. Check the device manager and compare it to the images I've posted above. Ensure that the Corsair drivers (they will say corsair on them in the device manager) are gone from the Device Manager.

4. Download the latest CUE software from Corsairs download page here: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-m65-rgb-fps-laser-gaming-mouse-black

5. Fully install the software and start the CUE application.

6. Go to Settings and then click the Device tab. In here you will see the polling rate and it will say if the device is working properly. Just so we have comparable circumstances, Make sure your polling rate is set to 1000hz. (Note: While you're here, click the update button to ensure that you have the latest firmware installed on your mouse.)

7. Go to Profiles and check the Drop Down Box where it says Default. Make sure Default is the only profile listed. If not and you have a listing for HwProfile then select the HwProfile. Note: if you did delete the Corsair folder from Roaming before installing the latest CUE software, then there should be no HwProfile. Only the Default Profile should exist.

8. In the bigger box below the drop down box, click the three line icon next to the Default profile listing and click "Reset all Mode Settings to Default"

9. Next and be careful here, Next to the DROP DOWN BOX, now click the three line icon here and then click "Save Profile to Device Memory" (Note: Once you do this and save the reset profile to the mouse, you will notice what looks like microchip icon appear next to the Default listing and drop down box. This signifies that the default profile is now the profile that's saved to the mouse.)

9.1. It might be a good idea to reboot the computer, just for good measure. You never know.

10. Test your mouse again. If the click issue is still present, then your issue may be more persistent than mine and may require replacement or waiting for a firmware update. If the issue is gone, then you should be able to redo your custom profile settings and save them to the mouse using the method from step 9.

Try this and let me know if it makes any difference. So far, since doing this, I've had no recurrences of the issue yet. But I don't want to speak too soon. But so far, it's looking good in my case. The steps I highlighted here are the exact steps I used when troubleshooting my mouse. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for reporting back. That's great info and gives us extra room for ironing out wrinkles. This may show that some mice may still need full hardware resets regardless of CUE uninstallation.

Edited by bignick277

Alright thank you for the quick responce, ill be testing this in a couple of minutes

EDIT 10:18 1/5/15: Just did all of your steps and it still hasn't solved my problem. I appreciate your responses as they gave me some hope to fixing this issue. Hopefully some people will have more luck that i have :(

873714316_dropdown1.thumb.png.5c7a51384762e4f414d88acd5ef3491d.png

Edited by TheMarc102

• Corsair Employee
Hi all, we have resolved the double click issue through a new FW update so most of this won't be necessary. It is being tested in validations to ensure it didn't break anything, but if anyone has the double click issue and would like to try the FW as a beta, contact our tech support or PM me and I can pass it forward.

Hi all, we have resolved the double click issue through a new FW update so most of this won't be necessary. It is being tested in validations to ensure it didn't break anything, but if anyone has the double click issue and would like to try the FW as a beta, contact our tech support or PM me and I can pass it forward.

Hi, James i just PM'ed you hopefully you can respond in a timely matter.

Alright thank you for the quick responce, ill be testing this in a couple of minutes

EDIT 10:18 1/5/15: Just did all of your steps and it still hasn't solved my problem. I appreciate your responses as they gave me some hope to fixing this issue. Hopefully some people will have more luck that i have :(

Sorry to hear that. I didn't have any delusions that this would fix everyones issue. It's resolved mine for the meantime, but I would still prefer a more permanent fix. I've also contacted James as well for the firmware update. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Crap, bad luck on my front as well. The issue has now returned. It's not that bad at the moment. At least, it's not as bad as it was the first time round. But it's back just the same. Damn. Well hopefully I can get a beta firmware to fix this issue.

Crap, bad luck on my front as well. The issue has now returned. It's not that bad at the moment. At least, it's not as bad as it was the first time round. But it's back just the same. Damn. Well hopefully I can get a beta firmware to fix this issue.

Yea sometimes it works for a whole day then does the double clicking. Like today it is fine but i can tell you it will start again soon :(

Yeah, I just got the firmware fix from James about an hour ago. So I will be testing that from here on. Prelim looks good. But again, I think it will take about a week to be sure if it's resolved the issue. In both instances for the issue to appear for me, it took about 3 days for it to rear it's ugly head again. So a little over a week gives a little over double that time for testing. Edited by bignick277

thanks for the time and effort you have put in to this problem.

this has solved the issue i had with my mouse also.

really glad i came across your post, hopefully it will last, and thanks for sharing it.

I'm glad it's helped a few people for the short term until a more permanent firmware fix is released to the public. Thanks for posting your results.

As was with my case, the fix only seemed to work for me for about 3 days before the issue came back, which is why I got the firmware fix from James, which I've been testing extensively since then. It's been about a week and a half since I applied the firmware fix and I've not had a recurrence of the issue since. Not even so much as a hiccup. Making this the longest I've gone thus far without the issue coming back. So I think I can say with reasonable certainty that the beta firmware resolves the double-click issue. Hopefully they'll release it to the public soon. For the meantime time, I hope this thread can help some people and James can help those he can until it's released. I'm going to go PM James now with my testing results from the past week and a half. The more confirmations they can get, the quicker they can release.

Good luck guys/gals

Edited by bignick277

• 3 years later...

Its just about February 2018. I had the same problem with my M65 RGB pro. my old M65 the right click is crapping out so I bought a new mouse of same model, this one's just got the 12000 dpi.

So i had the mouse for two days and on the second day it started doing this double clicking thing. So I tried all the stuff that you tried and it didn't work. I thought it was a software issue because of it being a new mouse. But I assume a faulty switch because i totally reinstalled everything numerous times. now I;'m back on my old mouse which i know doesnt have the problem.

I bought the mouse from Amazon, and am returning it. Just ordered a new one from corsair Directly. Hopefully it was just a hardware misfunction as I havent seen many issues from it this day in age. I've even tested with the click counter and it still failed the test. Anyways, lll see how the new one turns out.

• 1 month later...
I went into control panel right clicked on the m65 mouse and clicked mouse settings and then changed double click speed to as fast as possible and I went and used a clicker test for 1000 clicks and hasn't repeated the double click issue. Hope this helps someone.

• 4 months later...

I am pretty sure i fixed my double clicking issue.

And i hope this can help someone else too.

I opened up the mouse to potentially replacing the micro switch because i thought that to be the culprit. But none of the other similar micro switches had this fault, so after further inspection i found that the little white nylon plastic pieces that makes contact with the switches, did not look exactly the same.

i could see they were designed to be smooth, making a sliding motion over the switch contact when one actuates the button.

But the white nylon plastic in the left click button had a tiny divot in it, causing the action to be bumpy and therefore double clicking.

I carefully smoothed out the plastic with a nail file, reassembled the mouse, and i have not had any involuntary double clicking since.

Edited by StArL0rd84

• 6 months later...
This is still an occasional issue on the M65 Pro RGB as of 2019. I've only encountered this error with the left mouse button. Since many users have encountered issues with only the left button, it could very well be a driver fault.

First of all, Corsair - get your **** together. It's 2019, and there literally hasn't been a peep about a solution this issue. And if there was one, then you guys sure as hell made it hard to find. This is my favorite mouse, and I've been using different iterations of it for the past 6 years. It's ridiculous to see the lack of support on this issue, when literally every owner of M65 models are having this issue when having to use iCue with another device. I wouldn't even bother with the software altogether if I didn't have an RGB Corsair keyboard. May have to take a second to think next time I'm out shopping for another keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, for those of us who have been suffering throughout the years. I have figured out a temporary/permanent solution to our double click misery:

Open iCue, and select the Settings tab. Click on the mouse in the options under Device Settings. Then click on the Update button, and do a Force update.

This seems to fix the issue, but again, only temporarily. The problem seems to come back after a reboot or restarting iCue, but on infrequent occasions. So basically every time you start seeing the double click issue again, just go to iCue, and force an update. Dumb, I know, but this is what we have to do if we want to continue to play with this mouse.

Corsair, if you're listening, please for the love of god, just add a toggle option to iCue to allow a user to disable iCue for the mouse specifically in settings. That would at least be a more permanent fix until you guys figure out the issue, if it ever gets figured out... Anyway, hope this post helps somebody, peace.

And by the way, please do not listen to some of these people who are saying they fixed their issues by taking their mouse apart because they were having problems with the switch or anything like that. They have a separate issue, and it's honestly annoying as hell when I see it posted as one of the solutions on every thread in the world about solutions to this problem. Before you take your mouse apart, do yourself a favor, or humor me idc - try uninstalling iCue, reboot the PC, see if the problem persists. If it does, then maybe consider it might be your polling settings in either Windows or iCue. If those aren't the problem, then yes, you might be in a more unique situation where you will have to take apart the mouse. But if removing iCue did fix problem, then welcome to our hell. Hopefully, what I mentioned above will help ease the pain.

Edited by Plastic_Chicken

to Plastic_Chicken this forced firmware update seems to have helped me alot. This is my first Corsair anything purchase, m65 rgb pro mouse, and was getting dbl click randomly and frequently. I purchased the mouse from amazon, it arrived 01/23/2019, and was so disappointed. I have been using logitech mice for over 6 or more yrs now, G9x, g5 and the bluetooth travel mouse, I have purchased other cheap mice but not for me. When the December windows update came in my G9x did a dbl click so I started looking for a new mouse. I settled on the M65 pro just on the shape and weight adjustability and price for $30. I never install the software with mice but this time I did and adjusted it to my liking and went off clicking away. The dbl click can wreak havok when making purchases that say "click once" like when paying property tax online. But this is getting long in tooth and the dbl click seems to have dissapeared for now and your trick is easy enough to do if it resurfaces but 3 days no problem. Thanks for the much appreciated help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...