Corsair Community

Asus P7P55D Del, i750 ram options?

SteinerKD

Planning my new gaming rig on a sensible budget and I'm a bit confused over what mem configuration to get.

I know I want to use Corsair (XMS3) ram (hence here) and that I want 8GB of RAM (MMOs suck ram and wants lots for Win 7 64bit). I want some performance so want PC3-12800 (1600Mhz), so far so good.

Now the confusion starts as I read that the 2.66GHz CPU doesn't support over 1333Mhz ram unless you over-clock, add to that that XMP/1600 is only supported with 1 DIMM per channel.

So, how do I get 8GB ram? Is that 1333 and lower only? (or are there sets of 2 4GB DIMMs?)

Am I assuming right that XMP support is meaningless to me if going 4*1600 DIMM and that I will manually have to enter all data and run as over-clock then?

How about stability would buying 2 sets of the 2*2GB 7-8-7-20 work (no XMP) in this setup or would the CL8 or CL9 4*2GB sets be better? (I guess timings suffer with 2 DIMM per channel?)

I aim to over-clock both CPU (aiming 3.8GHz roughly) and GPU, does that add anything to decision of what RAM to get?

OK, sorry for putting so much into one question, but I'm very curious and need to learn this stuff so I get the right parts from start.

Right now I'm a bit thorn between two options.

Either:

1x CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 (4x2GB PC1600 CL9)

Or

2x CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 ( 2x2GB PC1600 CL8)

The first is a matched set of 4 while the second is 2 matched sets of 2, running 4 DIMMs I guess the second set would also end up CL9, but they would end up cheaper by $30 roughly (with mail-in rebate). Would the benefit of 4 matched vs 2 pairs of matched be worth that premium? How big effect will it have on RAM speed/timings?

• 1 month later...

Archived