Corsair Community

Guess my new supply works - it was able to burn up my mobo

_jc

3 weeks after successfully building and using a hot new 64 bit system for my home biz and especially for 3D modeling (very CPU intensive), it suddenly died.

Was using an Antec 650 watt supply for the Intel DX38bt mobo and Intel Core2 Quad Q9300. Did online chat trouble-shooting with Intel and after trying a new power supply (from BFG), and other steps, we agreed it was a failed CPU. They swapped mine out, no charge. That didn't fix the problem and I had used the BFG in another of my machines by then. Before swapping out the mobo, Intel wanted to try another supply with the new CPU, so I bought a Corsair 750 (based on a favorable online review).

Just now powered up the mobo with the new Corsair power supply. Nothing for 1-2 seconds, then green LED on mobo, then dense smoke (from the back of the board, I think. The mobo had nothing connected, except the cpu/cooler (no memory).

I would have thought the power supply would self-protect by quickly shutting down (which is what the previous 2 supplies I tried did)? Not saying the power supply is at fault. The fact that the other 2 supplies always shut down immediately leads me to believe the mobo was bad - but why no protection with the Corsair supply - had to turn it off myself. BTW, Intel will swap mobo - again free of charge - except shipping.

Thanks for the quick response RAM guy - I'll do that.

But as a PC consultant, I'm always trying to lower my level of ignorance :bigeyes:

So, I'm still wondering if it's a design issue? Should this unit protect against a faulty motherboard (as the other 2 power supplies I tried out seemed to), or are their motherboard conditions it can't realistically protect against?

Thanks again...

Just submitted an online RMA request - a nice service to offer.

BTW, I'm very impressed with the specifications, mechanical engineering, thermal solution, packaging (wow, a black velvet type bag!) and sexy look of the TX750W, not to mention the great price I got at Newegg during their special.

• Corsair Employee
No problem at all! To answer your question, all of our PSUs have over-current and over-voltage protection circuits built in which should get triggered if too much voltage or wattage is sent to any component in the system. If a dangerously high amount of power were to be delivered to the board, these circuits should be tripped, and the PSU should shut itself down before the power gets to the motherboard. I would tend to think that the voltage regulation on the board may have caused the damage, but it is also possible that one of the circuits on our PSU could have failed, or maybe both. Overall, our PSUs have an incredibly low failure rate, so replacing the PSU should at least rule it out as a possible factor in any problems you were having. Let us know if you have any more questions!

Ah! Perfect - exactly what I wanted to know.

There is no visible damage on the motherboard, but the burned smell IS strongest near the regulator heat sinks. No visibly blown capacitors.

As you say, replacing both the motherboard and power supply should do the trick. Hope the CPU survived, or it's another RMA round :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
Ah! Perfect - exactly what I wanted to know.

There is no visible damage on the motherboard, but the burned smell IS strongest near the regulator heat sinks. No visibly blown capacitors.

As you say, replacing both the motherboard and power supply should do the trick. Hope the CPU survived, or it's another RMA round :[pouts:

Let us know if you have any problems once you get the board and PSU back!

Archived