Corsair Community

Registered RAM: Does it work on i875-based boards?

Watz

I recently received two spare registered DDR modules of the type TwinX1024RE-3200LLPT and would like to use them to build up a P4-based system based on an Asus P4C800-E motherboard. I know that non-registered DDR would do fine, but I'd simply like to use ECC memory (and the Asus motherboard supports ECC). Any idea if this would work? In general, my understanding is that, from the perspective of the memory controller on the motherboard, registered RAM should behave like non-registered ECC RAM, or am I mistaken here? Thank you in advance, Paul

You are mistaken. ECC RAM technology and Registered RAM technology are not the same. However, they are often seen together, especially in Servers and Workstations. Though considered to be workstation chipset by Intel, the i875 chipset does not support Registered RAM technology. ECC yes. Registered, no. This RAM you have listed will not work with the i875 chipset motherboard. J1NG

• 4 weeks later...
What about ECC 'registered' RAM? will the i875 based boards work with these RAM? i have 512MB Micron ECC registered PC2100 sitting around because my old Tyan board died on me - need to find a new home for this memory chip. :)

Archived